• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

lakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tesla Effect Story Discussion - SPOILERS

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This is a spoiler thread to anyone that wants to discuss the plot, so finish the game before stepping in.

I liked the theme of the game and how it integrated into an older Tex that lost his memory of the years after the ending of Overseer. Seeing that he became an asshole was a nice twist.
Seeing the old residents once again was quite fun and exploring a bigger Chandler Avenue (without loadings!!!). Liked the new characters,  I wish some of them like Holly Graham and Sapphire had more screen time.

A couple of questions that I have some doubts:

1- Why did Maldonado and Bauers killed Margaret? And cut off her head? To get her memories
2- I couldn’t access Margarets computer in her apartment, was there a pen?
3- Ariel (blown away that the actress is Melahn Tode from UaKM) kind of disappears after revealing she’s a spy (along with Tesla stuff collector). I got the Taylor ending (cool girl). Would I get more stuff if I chose another one?
4- Chelsee?!?! Does she show up in any path or ending?
5- The timeline is a bit confusing at times - when was the Translator revived?

I suppose a couple of questions would be answered by multiple playthroughs

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I guess the ending depends quite a bit on what you choose in the game. In the end I got there was Tex and Saphyre on a desolate bar. Dalton walks in, sits down on the table while Tex pours some whiskey. The two of them lift their guns under the table and shoot out ensues. Finally Tex and Saphyre walk out and ride to the distance with a motor bike.

I really need to play the game through again. I was aiming at the Chelsea ending.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That sounds way cooler then mine that was basically Chief of police arrives to arrest Tex and Taylor shows up with evidence of the Tesla Society massacre to release Tex. Then they make some sex puns Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I actually don’t remember seeing the scene in the picture of the first post. It does look like there’s really are some different flavour depending how you do stuff. Perhaps there’s “the great ending” which will explain everything.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

To be quite honest, there are many things in the story that I didn’t quite get, or perhaps I simply forgot things between the sessions. In fact I think I will have to reply it in order to fully understand the little details.

The biggest thing I never fully understood was why Tex and Chelsee was shot 7 years before, and especially why Tex never learned what happened to her and that she was still alive. I know it was explained in the game, but the explanation is all a bit blurry to me, or perhaps it is simply because it was a rather weak explanation.

I haven’t really found any major inconsistencies apart from a bit of crossover between the different paths, like when Ariel meets Tex at the resort, and he acts like he has never been there before, even though Tayler has given him the key. But I suspect that on a 2nd playthrough, and by analysing the story more closely, there are plenty to be found.

wilco - 12 May 2014 11:13 AM

1- Why did Maldonado and Bauers killed Margaret? And cut off her head? To get her memories
3- Ariel (blown away that the actress is Melahn Tode from UaKM) kind of disappears after revealing she’s a spy (along with Tesla stuff collector). I got the Taylor ending (cool girl). Would I get more stuff if I chose another one?

1) I don’t think it was Maldonado, Ault and Bauers that killed her, I believe that was Johanssen, Dalton Fisk and Big Jim Slade. But the head was in the cryo box that Maldonado had, so it was most likely Maldonado that cut off her head presumably to get some information out of her brain.

Bauers was as I understand it the one that got kidnapped at the same time Maldonado was killed, and he injected himself with a forget potion, so he couldn’t tell anything to Johanssen. But did he do this during, before or after the kidnapping? And if it was before why was he even trying to find more information by getting Margaret’s head, and after would most likely not be possible, so it had to be during the kidnapping. Now where did we find that 4 of clubs?

And then there is of course Tex’s amnesia, which was caused by a forget injection by Margaret, but the next morning Margaret was already dead, so all of this has to have happened pretty much at the same time.

Of course the whole trigger that set everything in motion, was Tex finding the Egg in the wall, and then he hid it at Coit tower, but how did Mantis know that? He was working together with Margaret, but it was Maldonado, Ault and Bauers that was monitoring Tex and the Ritz, perhaps Margaret, Maldonado, Ault, Bauers and Mantis was all working together? But why was Maldonado then also watching Margaret, and wasn’t there something about Margaret and Bauers having a disagreement and parting ways?

Perhaps Tex was both being followed by Bauers and Margaret’s team, while he was working together with Johanssen’s team? And what about Ariel and St. Germaine was they also following Tex?

Jesus - Now I am even more confused, there are simply to many players and fractions to keep tab on.

2) Yes - there was an USB stick that you could find in her apartment, with a kind video log on it.

3) I believe so, but I also got the Tayler path so I’m only guessing.

4) According to what I have read, she does appear in one of the A-Path endings, but only in one of the two possible of that path.

5) Since he was behind Tex and Chelsee’s kidnapping it had to have been at least 7 years ago,

One thing I am a bit curious about, is how big a difference there is between the different paths, what the exact trigger points are, and what all the endings are.

I did find this posted by someone in another forum:

path A1 -Chelsee is alive and ready to take the relationship to the next level
path A2 -Chelsee is alive, Tex “prays” at his shrine and tries to call her
these first two are on the same path, what the exact choices are, I could not tell you at the moment (for the first Tex needs to ask about Chelsee right away when available and needs to stay true to Chelsee at every opportunity)
Path B -Taylor and Tex
Path C -Ariel and Tex
Path C -Saffyre and Tex (for this one Tex needs to reject every advance by Taylor and Ariel and not care about Chelsee’s fate… basically do the opposite of A1

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 12 May 2014 02:56 PM

1) I don’t think it was Maldonado, Ault and Bauers that killed her, I believe that was Johanssen, Dalton Fisk and Big Jim Slade. But the head was in the cryo box that Maldonado had, so it was most likely Maldonado that cut off her head presumably to get some information out of her brain.

Bauers was as I understand it the one that got kidnapped at the same time Maldonado was killed, and he injected himself with a forget potion, so he couldn’t tell anything to Johanssen. But did he do this during, before or after the kidnapping? And if it was before why was he even trying to find more information by getting Margaret’s head, and after would most likely not be possible, so it had to be during the kidnapping. Now where did we find that 4 of clubs?

And then there is of course Tex’s amnesia, which was caused by a forget injection by Margaret, but the next morning Margaret was already dead, so all of this has to have happened pretty much at the same time.

Of course the whole trigger that set everything in motion, was Tex finding the Egg in the wall, and then he hid it at Coit tower, but how did Mantis know that? He was working together with Margaret, but it was Maldonado, Ault and Bauers that was monitoring Tex and the Ritz, perhaps Margaret, Maldonado, Ault, Bauers and Mantis was all working together? But why was Maldonado then also watching Margaret, and wasn’t there something about Margaret and Bauers having a disagreement and parting ways?

Perhaps Tex was both being followed by Bauers and Margaret’s team, while he was working together with Johanssen’s team? And what about Ariel and St. Germaine was they also following Tex?

Jesus - Now I am even more confused, there are simply to many players and fractions to keep tab on.

Yeah, I’m also utterly confused about the events of that first night.
I just replayed the intro, Tex was about to do something despicable for the money that I think is selling out to Gideon Enterprises/Slade/Translator group the egg. He is intercepted by Margaret/Maldonado/Bauer? knocked out and injected with the amnesia serum.
Then he stays down for 5 hours.
In those 5 hours the egg is placed in Coit Tower, Margaret is killed and head cut off, Bauer is kidnapped and Maldonado killed.
Bauer kidnapping and Maldonado killed are done by the Translator group.
I thought Margaret was killed by Bauer/Maldonado - I think they mention something about double crossing and accident kill? through the game. The head was cut-off because of the memories? Margarets “soul” at the end was because of the head preseeved in cryo?

About the endings Steam has a community guide on how to get them. Ariel ending has 2 bonus locations according to them.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

This is a spoiler thread to anyone that wants to discuss the plot, so finish the game before stepping in.

I liked the theme of the game and how it integrated into an older Tex that lost his memory of the years after the ending of Overseer. Seeing that he became an asshole was a nice twist.
Seeing the old residents once again was quite fun and exploring a bigger Chandler Avenue (without loadings!!!). Liked the new characters,  I wish some of them like Holly Graham and Sapphire had more screen time.

1.To protect her memories from the Translator and his goons
4. She showed up in mine after the petrified forest part you see Tex phone her and you see and old cheless voice message. Tex leaves a regretful message and wishes her well with her husband.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

They didn’t. She died of a heart attack and they cut off her head in order to protect her memories.

Yes. If you stay committed to her, you’ll find out all about her fate. I actually have a few questions about that myself, though.

Like, why exactly did she allow the police to declare her dead when she wasn’t? Why leave it a mystery?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 12 May 2014 03:59 PM

About the endings Steam has a community guide on how to get them. Ariel ending has 2 bonus locations according to them.

Hmm - Just read the guide, and it doesn’t directly mentions the “Ménage à Tex” option Wink
But perhaps that is what he meant by:

Day 7: During Ariel/Taylor in resort, break up with all 3 girls (options are different depending on your previous choices, just make sure you deny all 3 females)

Though it certainly would consider it “denying” anybody, in fact I would consider it quite the opposite, though the result might of course be that they all break up with you.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m utterly bewildered by the story.

PS: I haven’t met those three easy-peasy guys. I haven’t even met my avatar-trailer girl.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 12 May 2014 07:50 PM

Like, why exactly did she allow the police to declare her dead when she wasn’t? Why leave it a mystery?

Apparently that was Margaret’s doing. Chelsee is her daughter and she wanted to keep her out of this whole affair. Even though the villains of course knew she wasn’t dead, then they already had Tex on their side, so they didn’t need her to blackmail Tex, and they probably didn’t know she was Margaret daughter, or isn’t that something that Johanssen would have know?

If Tex however had known she was alive then there would be a good chance that she through him had gotten involved, so Margaret wanted to keep the fact that she is alive a secret from Tex. Why Chelsee agreed to this is however another question. If she had any feelings for Tex at all, she would have wanted to at least let him know she was alive and well regardless of any risks.

But perhaps this is explained in the “Somewhere I’ll Find You” ending?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I’m interested to read the novel when it comes out, as I consider that to be the Aaron Conners canon version.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Iznogood - 12 May 2014 08:25 PM
Frogacuda - 12 May 2014 07:50 PM

Apparently that was Margaret’s doing. Chelsee is her daughter and she wanted to keep her out of this whole affair. Even though the villains of course knew she wasn’t dead, then they already had Tex on their side, so they didn’t need her to blackmail Tex, and they probably didn’t know she was Margaret daughter, or isn’t that something that Johanssen would have know?

If Tex however had known she was alive then there would be a good chance that she through him had gotten involved, so Margaret wanted to keep the fact that she is alive a secret from Tex. Why Chelsee agreed to this is however another question. If she had any feelings for Tex at all, she would have wanted to at least let him know she was alive and well regardless of any risks.

But perhaps this is explained in the “Somewhere I’ll Find You” ending?

I was under the impression Margaret had erased her memory and set her up with a new life to keep her from getting involved with Tex and the Tesla stuff.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 04:03 AM

I was under the impression Margaret had erased her memory and set her up with a new life to keep her from getting involved with Tex and the Tesla stuff.

That’s my take on it as well.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Something happened when I learned Chelsee was Margaret’s daughter, it’s like the story lost its true Tex quality. Can somebody please tell me who the girl in my avatar is? Unless she’s Tex’ long-lost sister or something, in that case I don’t want to know.

PS: I’m guessing it’s Margaret herself, talking to Donnelly. Am I getting warm? I will replay the game at some point, but not right now.

PPS: I watched the long and awsome trailer again. Nine scenes I haven’t seen in the game.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted, I was being stupid

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top