• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGs that get out the best of the iPad and Tablets?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Does that even exist ?
I always been a (mouse/keyboard) PC adventure gamer ,but I thought to give my iPad a shot, and it seems that I had spent 8USD down the drain . I am playing The secret of Monkey Island on the iPad ,its my first adventuring experience with it, but I am not enjoying the controls much or maybe not at all, can’t really tell yet! .

I tried Edna & Havey for a little while, seems better, but still, I would rather replay it on PC, so I was wondering what adventure games out there that are good first of all, and really get out the best of the Pads/Tablets ‘touch screens’ controls .

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Broken Sword 5 is GREAT on iPad. Looks gorgeous and is easy to control. I prefer playing the game this way to using the computer.

Yes, older games like Monkey Island 1 are doable on touch screen, and with Monkey 2 SE they improved the experience a bit for mobile users. I actually beat Monkey Island 1 on the 4th gen 3.5” iPod touch! Most of the time it wasn’t too difficult, but some parts (like the row boating near the end) were a little tricky to control.

It’s better when you have the full screen displaying the scene and don’t have the verbs taking up space at the bottom.

I’m looking forward to playing SpaceVenture, Mage’s Initiation and Armikrog on my iPad. Touch screen is my preferred method of playing, and I really only back Kickstarters now that offer iPad support.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Well i haven’t played monkey island (since its not avalible on android), but the following ones play great.

Machinarium
Gemini Rue
Broken Sword 1/2 and the latest one
Detective Grimoire (made for tablets)
Leisure Suit Larry looks good but feels a bit clunky.

I’d really recommend installing ScummVm, but you’d need to jailbreak your ipad probably. I tested Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle and Curse of Monkey Island and they all work great.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

OrionO - 05 May 2014 07:16 AM

Broken Sword 5 is GREAT on iPad. Looks gorgeous and is easy to control. I prefer playing the game this way to using the computer.

Great, Thanks ,since I haven’t played episode.2 yet ,that would be a good start.

xxax - 05 May 2014 08:20 AM

I’d really recommend installing ScummVm, but you’d need to jailbreak your ipad probably. I tested Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle and Curse of Monkey Island and they all work great.

its seems I cant find ‘what/how!!’ to open evasion/Jail-Break for iOS.7 ,it would be great if you tell me how it works ,I am just too new for this kind of technology Embarassed

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

I’d really recommend installing ScummVm, but you’d need to jailbreak your ipad probably.

ScummVM works very well on Android too, and you don’t need to root your device.  Smile

About the oldies, I played on my Xperia (tablet) Full Throttle, Monkey Island 1 and 3, Bud Tucker, Flight of the Amazon Queen and at this time Loom, they all perfectly work.
(though I had to figure how to right-click…)
But ScummVM failed with Operation Stealth and Touché.

I tried more recent games with DosBox Turbo, but didn’t yet figure out how to make them properly work, have to spend more time on this.

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Advie - 05 May 2014 09:21 AM

its seems I cant find ‘what/how!!’ to open evasion/Jail-Break for iOS.7 ,it would be great if you tell me how it works ,I am just too new for this kind of technology Embarassed

Well if you just google “io7 jailbrake”, (hell you can find most of the stuff here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking)you can find tonnes of info. Of course you should do so at your own peril, since the process is not guaranteed. There’s a possibility that you can brick your device, although after jailbraking a couple of apple products, the worst thing i had to do was reinstall the original OS again and everything was fine. But its a process and if you aren’t tech savvy i’d advise against it.

Shimrod - 05 May 2014 09:26 AM

I’d really recommend installing ScummVm, but you’d need to jailbreak your ipad probably.

ScummVM works very well on Android too, and you don’t need to root your device.  Smile

About the oldies, I played on my Xperia (tablet) Full Throttle, Monkey Island 1 and 3, Bud Tucker, Flight of the Amazon Queen and at this time Loom, they all perfectly work.
(though I had to figure how to right-click…)
But ScummVM failed with Operation Stealth and Touché.

I tried more recent games with DosBox Turbo, but didn’t yet figure out how to make them properly work, have to spend more time on this.

I know, i own a android tablet. But i still rooted it just so i could fix the dumb SD card restrictions KitKat imposes…

I have yet to try DosBox Turbo, since i think i’d only use it to play Fallout 1/2.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

xxax - 05 May 2014 09:40 AM
Advie - 05 May 2014 09:21 AM

Well if you just google “io7 jailbrake”, (hell you can find most of the stuff here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking)you can find tonnes of info. Of course you should do so at your own peril, since the process is not guaranteed. There’s a possibility that you can brick your device, although after jailbraking a couple of apple products, the worst thing i had to do was reinstall the original OS again and everything was fine. But its a process and if you aren’t tech savvy i’d advise against it.

Ok , guess I will stay away.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I have a few friends who jailbroke their ipad without really being tech savy and did it successfully.  The best tutorial I found until now is this one http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/index.php which really gives exactly the steps based for what you have…

Adding Scummvm to my ipad was probably the best thing I could have done to make it useful…

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

What a nice organized tutorial

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have an ipad mini with retina display and 128 GB of storage.

For adventure games it is FABULOUS due to it’s touch screen interface.

I would recommend “The Wolf Among Us” as a play right now game. AMAZING ON THE IPAD.

I also highly recommend “Broken Sword 2 Remastered” and finally “Ghost Trick” is amazing.

Check the highly rated ios games here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/home/ios

I have 30 adventure games on my ipad and enjoy playing them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-05-08

PM

My wife and I recently released an adventure game that we built from the ground up for iPad and touch control. It’s called Doggins, and is currently on the App Store.

Being big adventure game fans ourselves, we didn’t want to just shoehorn an adventure game onto the iPad, but really wanted to take advantage of the touch platform, especially when it came to puzzle design. We talk more in-depth about our design philosophy in this post.

As for other games, Sword & Sworcery does a great job of using the iPad’s capabilities. And though a bit more traditional, I also enjoyed Fester Mudd, even if it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger and they may not continue the series.

Designer & Programmer of Doggins, a Quiet Adventure for iPad

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yesterday is fabulous and great on the ipad:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/17226

I’d also recommend “Echo” as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Mikekelly - 07 May 2014 06:37 PM

For adventure games it is FABULOUS due to it’s touch screen interface.

Grin

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

for my next AG on iPad; Lost Echo or Device-6 or Year Walk? what do you think, guys.

they are looking ‘too’ surreal but I am still interested .

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Lost Echo. Very well and highly reviewed game.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top