• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleGabeskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Great article on melding narrative with gameplay from Amnesia creators.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/4-layers-narrative-design-approach.html
Warning: lengthy article above.

Frictional Games are putting a lot of thought into applying narrative models to game design and pushing the medium beyond compartmentalised genres defined by mechanics (i.e. RTS, FPS, RPG) towards something where a game is defined by its content and even its story.

How would you describe games like Journey, Thirty Flights of Loving or Gone Home anyway? To narrow them down towards existing genre labels would be to distort what those games feature.

I think the storytelling model the article outlines provides a worthy challenge to adventure game designers:

1) The focus is on storytelling.
This is a trivial requirement, but still way too uncommon.  Basically, the main goal of the game should be for the player to experience a specific story.

2) The bulk of the gameplay time is spent playing.
We want interactive storytelling, so players should play, not read notes, watch cutscenes, etc. These things are by no means forbidden, but they should not make up the bulk of the experience.

3) The interactions make narrative sense.

This means actions that:

Move the story forward.
  Help the player understand their role.
  Are coherent with the narrative.
  Are not just there as padding.

4) There’s no repetition.
Repetition leads to us noticing patterns, and noticing patterns in a game system is not far away from wanting to optimize them. And once you start thinking of the game in terms of “choices that give me the best systemic outcome”, it takes a lot of focus away from the game’s narrative aspects.

5) There are no major progression blocks.
There is no inherent problem with challenge, but if the goal here is to tell a story, then the player should not spend days pondering a puzzle or trying to overcome a skill-based challenge. Just as with repetition this takes the focus away from the narrative.

The article champions Brothers for achieving these principles towards the end of the game and dismisses Heavy Rain for featuring “too little gameplay”.

I have the biggest issue with the fifth principle though and believe players should have the option for a higher difficulty via side missions and other methods of hidden complexity. I also think roadblocks caused by difficult puzzles can assist in creating a mood that fits the story like tension or frustration. 

The article then elaborates on these principles through a 4 layered design philosophy that is currently being applied to develop The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which I know a few of us are interested in, and SOMA.

Here’s a gameplay video of SOMA to provide an idea of how the player uncovers the story; https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TWHVkMIP1b8

What do you think? Is Frictional trying to force fit narrative into games through a restrictive model or could this be the start of something new and amazing?

Edit: I don’t know why I confused Frictional with Irrational. I have corrected the error.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Creators of Bioshock Infinite? Confused

Basing every game on a certain predefined model is always a bad idea. With that said, these ideas are great and I agree with all of them in theory. I think Brothers and Amnesia The Dark Descent are two of the best games I’ve ever played. Really looking forward to both SOMA and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Hopefully we will soon see even more games with the same ambitions. 

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Ironic, considering that the biggest criticism of Bioshock Infinite was the way in which its gameplay mechanics conflicted with the narrative.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Well, okay, the article isn’t from the Bioshock Infinite devs (that would be Irrational Games) anyway, but from the Amnesia/SOMA devs (Frictional Games).

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

ozzie - 03 May 2014 01:14 PM

Well, okay, the article isn’t from the Bioshock Infinite devs (that would be Irrational Games) anyway, but from the Amnesia/SOMA devs (Frictional Games).

Ah, that makes more sense.  Smile  I suppose I could have read the article before commenting, too.  Wink

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I think those are good points but I kinda disagree with number two. If a game has a strong and entertaining game play it’s great, sure, but visual novels or interactive movies etc. are not bad by any means, and they definitely can tell a great story while still being considered a game.

(Very light game play can work very well as long as it is consistent.)

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

millenia - 03 May 2014 04:01 PM

interactive movies…are not bad by any means, and they definitely can tell a great story while still being considered a game.

Nope.  Terrible.  Wink

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I think those are good points but I kinda disagree with number two. If a game has a strong and entertaining game play it’s great, sure, but visual novels or interactive movies etc. are not bad by any means, and they definitely can tell a great story while still being considered a game.

(Very light game play can work very well as long as it is consistent.)

Exploration is a form of gameplay. So I don’t see how I could disagree with you. Tongue Completely agree.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It’s a little bit confusing isn’t it? First they define narrative as something that happens over long period in the game, then we get 5 biblical rules which have no real connection to what they’ve just defined.

thejobloshow - 29 April 2014 09:57 PM

1) The focus is on storytelling.
This is a trivial requirement, but still way too uncommon.  Basically, the main goal of the game should be for the player to experience a specific story.

Why? At least give us a reason. I think they are still talking about their idea of narrative here, but that doesn’t fit with what they say next.

We want interactive storytelling, so players should play, not read notes, watch cutscenes, etc. These things are by no means forbidden, but they should not make up the bulk of the experience.

Disagree. There’s a massive difference between reading in the two contexts of reading a book, and reading notes to help discover the solution to a puzzle. The second’s context alone makes it interactive. You don’t have to be doing stuff with your hands all the time, like some Attention-Deficit Disorder kid.

3) The interactions make narrative sense.

This means actions that:

Move the story forward.
  Are coherent with the narrative.

Can’t disagree here, although you’ve already defined narrative as what happens over the course of a game, so even a 5 hour game of Pac-Man has narrative without padding.

Repetition leads to us noticing patterns, and noticing patterns in a game system is not far away from wanting to optimize them. And once you start thinking of the game in terms of “choices that give me the best systemic outcome”, it takes a lot of focus away from the game’s narrative aspects.

Why? You’ve just told us a narrative is “what happens”, so all should be fair game.

There is no inherent problem with challenge, but if the goal here is to tell a story, then the player should not spend days pondering a puzzle or trying to overcome a skill-based challenge. Just as with repetition this takes the focus away from the narrative.

This one is just ridiculous. The article is really just about developer wanting to control the story like in a book or movie. In a game spending days pondering a puzzle can be PART of the story, and enhance it. These guys are simply making the same old error of viewing a game as “story + other stuff” rather than a whole experience. Going into development with such a limited mindset you’re always going to get a limited game, and Amnesia 2 showed that. People who want to be movie directors should go make a movie: leave the games to those who understand what makes them enjoyable.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

There’s no accounting for taste!  Wink

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lambonius - 03 May 2014 08:55 PM

Taste shouldn’t define what a game is and isn’t. lol Thats like saying taste defines how physics work. lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 03 May 2014 06:12 PM

interactive movies…are not bad by any means, and they definitely can tell a great story while still being considered a game.

Nope.  Terrible.  Wink

I was going to reply to this, but you made the exact same point I was going to make yourself:

Lambonius - 03 May 2014 08:55 PM

Exactly! Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It’s ALL about taste. I want to try something. Let’s replace the words “narrative”, “story” or “storytelling” with “puzzle” and see how it reads.

1) The focus is on puzzles.
  This is a trivial requirement, but still way too uncommon.  Basically, the main goal of the game should be for the player to experience puzzles.

We want interactive puzzles, so players should play, not read notes, watch cutscenes, etc. These things are by no means forbidden, but they should not make up the bulk of the experience.

3) The interactions make puzzle sense.
  This means actions that:

Move the puzzles forward.
    Are coherent with the puzzles.

Repetition leads to us noticing patterns, and noticing patterns in a game system is not far away from wanting to optimize them. And once you start thinking of the game in terms of “choices that give me the best systemic outcome”, it takes a lot of focus away from the game’s puzzles.

There is no inherent problem with challenge, but if the goal here is to tell a story, then the player should not spend days pondering a puzzle or trying to overcome a skill-based challenge. Just as with repetition this takes the focus away from the puzzles.

See? It works, pretty much. They have no real reason for valuing story above anything else, except that they like it that way. Hell, I could have put “elephants” in there and it would be no less coherent.

Didn’t we all learn from Ron Gilbert’s “What Adventure Games Should Be” rant all those years ago that they shouldn’t be anything except what the developers and fans want them to be?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

6) Follow the rules if you are indie and has balls to experiment BUT If you are AAA and not backed by solid Publisher to give you another chance then you can go down the shitter like Irrational.

7) Hire better visual designers to tell your story else the bland and repeated textures
will haunt you more than actual story.

Glad Soma looks like improvement at number 7.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Zifnab - 03 May 2014 08:26 PM

The article is really just about developer wanting to control the story like in a book or movie. In a game spending days pondering a puzzle can be PART of the story, and enhance it. These guys are simply making the same old error of viewing a game as “story + other stuff” rather than a whole experience. Going into development with such a limited mindset you’re always going to get a limited game, and Amnesia 2 showed that. People who want to be movie directors should go make a movie: leave the games to those who understand what makes them enjoyable.

I interpreted it as the exact opposite. The whole point of the article to me is to present ideas on the best way of mixing storytelling and gameplay.

Zifnab - 03 May 2014 08:26 PM

They have no real reason for valuing story above anything else, except that they like it that way. Hell, I could have put “elephants” in there and it would be no less coherent.

Since the article is about how to incorporate a narrative in a game this statement is pretty obvious. Don’t really get what point you’re trying to make.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Hello All.

I have just joined the forum, so hope you don’t mind me poking my nose in.

I thought this article was great. I really agree with the point about coherency “The gameplay must fit with the game’s world, mood and characters”

Currently i am trying to make a game which is very story led. I come from a background in animation where I am used to being able to control everything in a scene in order to create a mood/ tell a joke. Suddenly I have to consider that the player may not want to do what I expect them to. It’s been quite a steep learning curve!

My aim is to create a game where the story and gameplay become one and that everything “sits” in the world. The player should be able to unravel the story themselves rather than have the story dictated to them. I think Machinarium does this brilliantly.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and that I’m finding all your points really interesting.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top