• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three Questions

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lee in Limbo - 08 June 2012 10:29 PM

1) Do you prefer music recordings to be spontaneous and energetic, or polished and perfect?
2) Have you ever seen a Tarot deck you thought was cool enough to own, whether you believe in Tarot or not?
3) Do you think a modern interpretation of Tarot cards would be a good subject for a series of paintings?

1. Somewhere in the middle. Let’s say I prefer polished and perfect but with some part of the energy and slickness still left in it. Take “Hotel California” for instance. Without the slick guitar of Joe Walsh it would be too clean, but without the rest of the group to keep Walsh in check, it would be too chaotic.
2. No, but I haven’t been looking.
3. Why not? If done right, any idea has potential. It’s all in the execution anyway…

Hammerite - 09 June 2012 09:20 AM

1. Do you support DIY ‘scenes’ of any kind? Gaming, music, film, etc.? Give details, if so.

2. What advice would you give to someone who makes such home-made works (again - music, film, art, whatever)?

3. Do you feel the Internet has been a help or a hindrance overall to independent artists?

1. I support it if it’s brought to my attention and I happen to like what I hear/see. But I don’t really go looking for it because the indie scene is just too vast for that.
2. Join an online community that’s closest to your area of expertise. For instance, for games, join the AGS community. Be active on forums, on Facebook, on Twitter, etc. If you then make something that’s good, it’ll have a base audience. If it’s well liked by that audience, it’ll quickly garner more widespread attention through social media.
3. It’s a big help. A lot of small bands have gotten a much larger fanbase because of the internet. Access is a big point! And talent always rises to the surface, even if the internet made the pool a lot larger. But again: don’t underestimate the power of social media!

Lee in Limbo - 09 June 2012 10:03 AM

1) If you could go out on tour with one band of musicians, who would you pick and why?
2) If you could have lunch with your favourite Creative Person (living or dead), who and why?
3) If you could make love to one historical figure (male or female), who and why?

1. Nick Cave. The man is insanely talented (in multiple artforms), intelligent, sarcastic, mysterious, etc. He’s the definition of “interesting”.
2. Leonardo da Vinci. Because I think he’s the greatest artist who ever lived (also in many different artforms), and he’d *probably* make for a good conversation. I’d probably have to learn Italian first, though.
3. Grace Kelly. Because she was hot (seriously, her entrance in Hitchcock’s Rear Window made me swoon). And that’s the sole requisite for the making love part, imo.

1. Who do you think will win the European Championship in football?
2. Who do you think will win Wimbledon?
3. Who do you think will win the Tour de France?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2004-04-18

PM

Trumgottist - 09 June 2012 03:30 PM

Deirdra Kiai. Because she’s a talented game maker that I’ve never met, and it’d probably be a less awkward dinner than if I picked someone who don’t know me at all. (And I’m hoping the dinner would include some sort of jam. No, not for eating. A musical jam.)

I approve of this plan!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 11 June 2012 12:39 PM

1. Who do you think will win the European Championship in football?
2. Who do you think will win Wimbledon?
3. Who do you think will win the Tour de France?

Since it seems that I killed the thread with these questions (and that two and a half of them have become obsolete by now), I’ll just change them to other sports-related questions… Grin

1. Do you prefer the Winter or the Summer Olympics, and why?
2. What are your favourite sports to watch during the Olympics?
3. What is your favourite moment from one of the past Olympic Games (could be anything Olympics-related)?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 11 July 2012 01:00 PM

3. What is your favourite moment from one of the past Olympic Games (could be anything Olympics-related)?

1. Even though Sweden has a better chance of getting medals in the winter olympics I still prefer the summer games because it’s more! I love watching the Olympic games to the point I can watch shot put or hammer throw which I ordinary would consider utterly boring to watch.
2. Watching track and field is great to watch in the summer games and all kinds of skiing in the wintergames. Biathlon is nerve wrecking and a lot of fun to watch.
3. There are so many, but to mention some: The Swedish female curling team that won gold both 2006 in Torino and 2010 in Vancouver. Carolina Kluft who won gold in heptathlon in Athens 2004.

There just has got to be another passionate watcher of the Olympic games out there. I pass Tim’s questions on.

TimovieMan - 11 July 2012 01:00 PM

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

1.  I watch both avidly, but the winter games have a slight edge because I really enjoy the figure skating.  Hmmm, but then there’s gymnatics in the summer, which I also love.  Neither season wins out over the other for me.
2.  I prefer individual sports over the team events, but I’ll watch anything, and I like it when coverage includes all the countries, not just the USA.
3.  Watching Eddie the Eagle, who tried so hard in Calgary in 1988: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_"The_Eagle"_Edwards 
————
1.  What do you like least about your country’s coverage of the Olympics?
2.  Do you enjoy watching the opening and closing ceremonies?
3.  Will you be going to London to see any of the events live this year?

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Lady Kestrel - 11 July 2012 01:51 PM

1. That coverage of big sport events tend to get so much more space than everything else. (I don’t watch much TV these days, so it doesn’t bother me so much, though.)
2. Sometimes, but I’m not going to go out of my way to watch it.
3. I wouldn’t even do that if it was in my home town, and I don’t expect to watch any of the events on TV either.

1. What is it about the Olympics that you love?
2. Have you ever wanted to compete in it?
3. What’s your favourite activity on a day off?

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Trumgottist - 11 July 2012 04:56 PM

1. The main Olympic park (stadium, swimming pool, weird twisty tower thing etc.) is slap bang between where I live and where I work, so having seen it being constructed as I pass right by it on the train twice a day has been pretty cool over the last few years.

Having said that, they had a rehearsal of the opening ceremony there last night and I got a taster of how my commute is going to be affected when it gets going for real as my train stops at the Olympic park! Not fun.

2. I’m too unhealthy to compete in any event really, maybe archery would be a good one!

3. Last Sunday, after church in the morning, the Olympic torch went through my area and we went to see it at lunchtime. Then we dropped in on my parents and got the paddling pool out for the Third Degree in the garden which she loved. (We only have a shared garden and a second floor flat which makes paddling pools tricky to do at home!) The weather was nice for the first time in ages and all in all it was a really nice day!

Going along to the forum meet up in Hastings was pretty good too! Laughing

1. What races/events can you remember doing at school sports day? (I presume this isn’t just a UK thing? If so, you may have to google “egg and spoon race”...)

2. Have you ever competed in a marathon or half marathon etc.? If not would you like to?

3. What is the furthest you have ever travelled to watch sport? If you’re not into sport then how about a concert or the theatre? Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

1.  In the schools in my area of New Jersey, it’s called Field Day, but we didn’t have it when I was in school, just physical education once a week.

2.  I used to be a runner but only competed once in a 3-mile race.  I did win the bronze for my age group, but I’m just a killer walker now. Grin

3.  I recently traveled about 15 miles to see the Lakewood Blue Claws play.  They’re the farm team for the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.  That’s the farthest I’ve ever gone for a sport.  For theater, I often go into New York to see shows (65 miles), and for theatre, I’ve flown across the pond to London (3,000 miles) for an 11-day Theatre in London seminar sponsored by our local community college. 

I’m going to pass these on to the next player because I have to go eat dinner.  (My husband’s cooking tonight.)

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Intense Degree - 24 July 2012 10:51 AM

1. What races/events can you remember doing at school sports day? (I presume this isn’t just a UK thing? If so, you may have to google “egg and spoon race”...)
2. Have you ever competed in a marathon or half marathon etc.? If not would you like to?
3. What is the furthest you have ever travelled to watch sport? If you’re not into sport then how about a concert or the theatre? Laughing

1. Yes, we had the Professional Activity Day sports thing at our public (as in NOT private/academy)/junior schools as well. Lots of cooperative sports and other lame things that I was terrible at, due to my (lack of) height and physical illnesses, which left me fairly weak and uncoordinated for a number of years.
2. Not really, though I have walked and cycled lover fairly long distances (non-competitively).
3. I have extremely little interest in sport. However, I once flew to Minneapolis, Minnesota, to watch a Yes concert with my (then-, now ex-) fiancée.

1) Are you one of the massive TV audience tuning in to the Olympics?
2) If not, why not?
3) If not, what are you doing for entertainment while the Olympics takes up many of the national television channels?

To answer my own questions, briefly:
1) I’m trying not to.
2) I have too much to do, and little interest in watching sports right now, in any case.
3) I’m remixing my album and planning designs for a huge outdoor mural proposal for my neighbourhood. I should be writing, too, but that’s not happening at the moment.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Lee in Limbo - 28 July 2012 12:11 PM

2) If not, why not?
3) If not, what are you doing for entertainment while the Olympics takes up many of the national television channels?

1.Yes I am.
2. -
3. -

————————-
1. What’s your favourite sport to watch on TV, Olympics or not?
2. What kind of physical activity do you do to keep in shape?
3. What’s your most common excuse for not doing things to keep in shape?

Bonus question for all you who watches the Olympics: What’s your (so far) favourite Olympic 2012 moment?

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Jelena - 02 August 2012 04:36 PM

Bonus question for all you who watches the Olympics: What’s your (so far) favourite Olympic 2012 moment?

1. There is none but if you threaten to use the whip I will say tractor pulling or rally racing or formula 1.
2. I bike, either on the bike or the home trainer.
3. I’m tired or I don’t feel well.

Someone else can answer the bonus question.

1. What is your sex?
2. What is your gender?
3. How do you feel about extravaganzas like the Gay Pride in Amsterdam? Do the help or hurt the acceptance of gays and lesbians (and everything in between)?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jelena - 11 July 2012 01:48 PM

1. Summer Olympics, more diversity in sports, and more sports that I actually know something about. I find the Summer Olympics generally more interesting.
2. Sports you don’t usually see on TV: table tennis, badminton, gymnastics, field athletics, diving, etc.
3. Muhammad Ali with the Olympic Torch in 1996, Derek Redmond injuring himself during the finale of the 400 m sprint and completing the race together with his father in 1992, but probably my absolute favourite moment is Steven Bradbury accidentally getting to the semi-finals, accidentally getting to the finals and accidentally winning gold in the 1000 m short track speed skating in 2002.

Lady Kestrel - 11 July 2012 01:51 PM

1. They focus too much on big sports (like tennis) which get more than enough coverage throughout the year anyway. And they forget the smaller sports. Best example: we have a silver medal at these Olympics in the 50 metre rifle prone event. A few days before the finals, silver medalist Lionel Cox held a press conference where no-one showed up, and it wasn’t until several hours AFTER he’d won the silver medal that they first mentioned his name here…
2. Not really, I prefer the sports events. Which is not to say that I don’t like funny highlights from the ceremonies (like Rowan Atkinson’s performance this year).
3. Nope. Tickets cost too much and you get better coverage on TV anyway.

Trumgottist - 11 July 2012 04:56 PM

1. You get to see some sports that you don’t usually see, and there’s this sense of sportsmanship at the Olympics that you don’t really see in other events. Makes it feel more epic.
2. I’m not good enough a sporter. I was only ever good at table tennis, and by “good” I mean that I competed in the lower regional leagues which is not “good” at any rate…
3. Either gaming or watching movies. What else?

Intense Degree - 24 July 2012 10:51 AM

1. We had actual sports on school sports day: judo, running, swimming, badminton, etc. I remember the judo initiation most of all, because at the first back throw I nearly broke a classmate’s arm…
2. Hell no. Running is like the most boring sport there is. I prefer an element of game in my sports. Besides I was never good at running. Two miles used to be my absolute limit. Nowadays I’m so out of shape that it’s going to be closer to two metres or so… Tongue
3. 160 kilometres (that’s 100 miles for you non-metric system guys) for the National Championship Table Tennis where I was competing in the U21 singles event. I was by far the lowest ranked player there and I always wondered why I was even selected in the first place (as I didn’t qualify through the regional championships - exited just a round early at both possibilities). Got to play one match (against the highest ranked player there), and then spent a few hours looking at table tennis of a level much higher than mine…

Lee in Limbo - 28 July 2012 12:11 PM

2) If not, why not?

1. Definitely. Whenever I’m at home, the TV is set to the Olympics, and I’ve watched the highlights every day.
2. Does not apply.
3. Does not apply.

1. Table tennis, because I rarely get to see it on TV and the level and speeds they play at always baffle me. I also enjoy watching football, tennis and snooker.
2. None whatsoever.
3. Lack of time, and other hobbies getting priority.

Bonus question: Michael Phelps losing his gold medal in the last few centimetres of the 200 m butterfly because Chad Le Clos made an extra stroke. I love the irony of it, since Phelps won a gold medal in Beijing in similar fashion, and now he was on the other end…

tsa - 03 August 2012 02:36 AM

1. What is your sex?
2. What is your gender?
3. How do you feel about extravaganzas like the Gay Pride in Amsterdam? Do the help or hurt the acceptance of gays and lesbians (and everything in between)?

1. Foreplay. Grin
2. Male.
3. I think they just polarize opinions. Those who don’t accept gays and lesbians are going to feel stronger about their opinion and hate them more, so to speak, and vice versa. It leads to extremism, and that’s never good imo.

Let’s keep these last questions.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

1. I don’t watch televised sports if I can help it.
2. I walk and occasionally cycle. I’m not in particularly good shape at this time, but I’m slowly getting back into shape. That said, I’m not sure our health obsession is as healthy as we like to think it is. I just know that the meds I was taking for bipolar disorder largely contributed to me becoming clinically obese, and it was getting hard to do stuff. So I’m working it off slowly, just to regain some of my former flexibility and endurance.
3. I have a lot of work to do. My work takes precedence.

1. What is your sex?
2. What is your gender?

1. I am fairly comfortably male. I don’t believe I am a woman trapped in a man’s body or a transsexual, though I have nothing against either.
2. I am essentially bisexual and polyamorous, though I am in a pretty vanilla monogamous marriage these days. I don’t know if that answers your question, because gender politics confuses me. I determined my sexual orientation long before I became aware of the language used to describe these things, and I’m afraid my brain still doesn’t process the subtleties of gender political speech very well. I recognize a need for people to make these fine distinctions, but they don’t really apply to me.
3. I believe it is necessary for LGBTQ Pride events to raise awareness and wear away at the long-held belief that LGBTQ culture is marginal and can and should be ignored and discouraged. The truth of it is, most of us are not ‘gender normative’ (did I get that one right?). Quite a lot of us spend most of our lives not looking too closely at our gender make-up because it is discouraged, and we find ourselves dissatisfied and even angry when we run up against these x-factors in our personalities, because we’ve been conditioned—sometimes painfully—to deny any gender ‘deviancy’.

I’m not saying ‘we’re all gay inside’ or any such nonsense. I’m just saying that there are a great many more of us than many of us would like to admit, and that the pressure, even today, to conform to one of the socially-accepted gender roles has blinded us to the deep and even spiritual need to address our own gender identity and find peace with whomever we truly are. We can only be the best version of ourselves if we deal with all of our facets and find our strengths and weaknesses accordingly. Arguing against sexual awareness is like arguing against rough weather; it may make you feel good to rail against the coming of the storm, but it doesn’t change the fact that you’re getting wet.

I think these questions should stand for a little longer. However, for those that find this whole sexuality debate discomforting, I’ll add a bonus questions for fun:

A) If you could be any kind of creature in the world, or in fantasy and fiction, what would you want to be?
B) If you could be said creature, what do you suppose your friends would think?
C) What do you suppose your parents would say?

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Lee in Limbo - 08 August 2012 07:08 AM

A) If you could be any kind of creature in the world, or in fantasy and fiction, what would you want to be?

A) I would like to be one of my rabbits.
B) “Oh, what a cute little rabbit!”
C) See B.

I’ll let mine and Lee’s questions stand for a while longer. I like them both.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2004-04-18

PM

1. What is your sex?
2. What is your gender?

1. Female, and I’m mostly okay with that.
2. Time lord?
3. Well, Straight Pride seems to have been helping the acceptance of heterosexuals for quite some time now…

Lee in Limbo - 08 August 2012 07:08 AM

1. A time lord.
2. They’d probably think it was cool, but I don’t know how many of them would actually want to ride in my TARDIS.
3. Probably nothing, unless and until I regenerate.

—-

1. If you could change your sex inexpensively, painlessly, and reversibly, would you?
2. If you and your pet (if you don’t have a pet, pretend you do) switched bodies, do you think your pet would do a better job at being you than you would?
3. Cars that drive themselves: practical or scary?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top