• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure game by “Adventure Gamers forum”

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

So we wish. Grin But hey - let’s start from somewhere. How about we make in a… month, year, years… free game from the assets and talents of users on the forum. Yeah, yeah, I know what you’re thinking:
It will likely be the suckiest adventure ever, but it will be ours! As for now, say in what department you could help. I can help a bit with the music, story and puzzles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

We could make a Christmas themed game…...Oh wait

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/16114

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

The trouble with trying to make something by committee - which is tough at the best of times - is that this is a site with hugely divergent opinions. Arguments still rage about what even constitutes an Adventure Game, so I don’t know how you’d collectively make one.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

noknowncure - 25 April 2014 06:30 PM

The trouble with trying to make something by committee - which is tough at the best of times - is that this is a site with hugely divergent opinions. Arguments still rage about what even constitutes an Adventure Game, so I don’t know how you’d collectively make one.

^ This.

But I’ll still volunteer to proof-read and beta-test. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

noknowncure - 25 April 2014 06:30 PM

That’s more than a reasonable concern. However - we surely won’t be trying to make Beyond: Two Souls or L.A. Noire - not because they’re not adventure games, but because with free tools and beginner-level of programming I think we can only reach AGS level. (so yeah, Christmas Quest it is!)

Furthermore, if you’re accepting to be involved in such wide, unorganized, and “detailed plan - less” project, it is only natural you’re ready for all kind of compromises. You can be a sucker for Myst, but if you’re ready to help with the story or drawing, you should accept if majority decides for it to be the most dialogue-heavy 3rd-person game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

This is the best idea.

Unfortunately I have no skills to contribute.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

It would be cool if it happened though. And it wouldn’t hurt a certain part of the community to find out how incredibly difficult and labor-intensive it is to even make a small bad game. Wink Naughty

The AGS community made Byte of the Draculator II as an experiment in making a game with many contributors.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=43340.0

The main challenge will probably finding someone willing and capable to draw art. I’m sure many people will enjoy thinking about the story, puzzles, music and other aspects. And scripting isn’t that hard (I can do it as, I believe, many others on the forums). So if the art is covered it will probably be possible.

BTW for who isn’t familiar with it: there’s an ongoing project called Reality-on-the-Norm which is a series of games (around 90 I think) set in the town of that name, and all the art is free to use.
So for anyone that likes to try making an adventuregame that’s a great start. You can use the game interface and all the exististing backgrounds and characters so you don’t have to worry about drawing and just create a story and puzzles.
I tried it myself and if you look through the list of games you’ll see authors that went on to do bigger things.

This could also be a starting point to see what the Adventure Gamers community is capable of. Cool
http://realityonthenorm.info/index.php

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Programming, puzzles, story…

I agree that the most difficult thing will be to find artists. If by some miracle they show up and be willing to devote a great amount of their spare time, half of the job is done, but unfortunately I sincerely doubt that will happen.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So I was thinking the main plot could be that Zobraks, a notorious thief, has stolen a government file containing all the screenshots in the world ever made. He must be stopped and naturally, the task falls to us.

Characters:
The Protagonist: Unnamed or named? Male or female? If it’s first-person we don’t have to decide. Or maybe there can be a choice at the beginning like in Bureau 13.
Zobraks: The main villain. Often in disguise but sometimes seen wearing monocle, top-hat and moustache.
Advie: Bumbling but loyal sidekick. Could be like ‘Spot’ (TWW) where you use him on things to perform various roles.
Bastich: Wizardly sage knowledgeable in all things AG. Could be a Yoda-type character the protagonist must seek for help.
Timovieman: The government Yes-Man, but has switched sides after learning they are in on the theft. Provides help to the player at times when summoned, usually by throwing his DS at obstacles.
Diego: Legendary retired detective from whom the player tries to get help, but he’s too busy playing BS3 and TWW (possible puzzle here to get his help and lure him from his PC).
Oscar: Supremely attractive love-interest (the protagonist is a automato-phile) Heart 
Lady Kestrel: A small yellow bird. Doesn’t do much. Enjoys quizzes.

The player’s task in one of the early chapters is to find Bastich to get advice, who then sends us on various quests before we can find Zobraks. Each chapter could be done in a different AG style - eg Myst, Toonstruck, DOTT.

Feel free to make additions/changes. Smile

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Oscar - 30 April 2014 02:12 AM

Bastich: Wizardly sage knowledgeable in all things AG. Could be a Yoda-type character the protagonist must seek for help.

Hey, there can be only one wizard around here! Wink

I do think Jackal should make an appearance, maybe as God or something…

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

How about including some ex-forum members (fien, Trunkyo, etc) as the protagonist’s family, long-gone because of some tragic circumstances?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 30 April 2014 02:12 AM

So I was thinking the main plot could be…

Sold! Let’s look at the progress bar, people:

Story/Writing: 10%
Puzzles: 0%
Graphics: 0%
Sound/Music: 0%

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Zifnab - 02 May 2014 06:00 AM

I do think Jackal should make an appearance, maybe as God or something…

The narrator?

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

For whoever thinking about artists,  etc. It can always be a text adventure…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 02 May 2014 06:26 AM

For whoever thinking about artists,  etc. It can always be a text adventure…

I’d say writing a captivating text adventure is kind of an art, but good idea. Would anyone play it though? Last time someone mentioned Infocom around here was probably 2002.

diego - 02 May 2014 06:22 AM

Sound/Music: 0%

What about all those self-made clips you and Bastich have been posting in that other thread?

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 02 May 2014 06:37 AM

Would anyone play it though? Last time someone mentioned Infocom around here was probably 2002.

I would! I still love text adventures.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top