• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite TV shows

Poll: Most Overhyped
Total Votes: 42
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Mad Men

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 08 July 2017 08:57 AM

Well, we saw what “could have been” in 13 episodes with Firefly. A not very interesting sci-fi series devoid of ideas beyond the ‘wild west in space’ concept, with characters who all talk and act alike.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-people-like-Firefly-better-than-Babylon-5

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  I love both Babylon 5 and Firefly as well as Farscape, Stargate, all the Star Trek and Dr. Who incarnations, the old and new Battlestar Gallacticas, Red Dwarf, and even Blake’s 7.  Each one has its own personality and quirks, but I can’t get enough of them.  The newest ones I’m following are Killjoys and Dark Matter.  Sci-fi forever! Thumbs Up

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 July 2017 11:16 AM

Heh.  I love both Babylon 5 and Firefly as well as Farscape, Stargate, all the Star Trek and Dr. Who incarnations, the old and new Battlestar Gallacticas, Red Dwarf, and even Blake’s 7.  Each one has its own personality and quirks, but I can’t get enough of them.  The newest ones I’m following are Killjoys and Dark Matter.  Sci-fi forever! Thumbs Up

I like most of those too. Bab5 will always be my favorite, though.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

If I had to rate them, Farscape would be first and Babylon 5 second.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

BitingWit - 08 July 2017 09:44 PM

I suppose I’m more of a “hard” science fiction fan, although I love westerns. I like the big ideas in SF, ideas about the future, what life will be like, how technology could change us. and Firefly didn’t seem to have much of that.

The hard fact is that it doesn’t matter how much technology there is that may change the way we live & ‘operate’, human nature itself will never change therefore it will not change us! (I thought Firefly did a good job of getting that across!) Also Firefly does offer a vision of the future. 

On the Sci-Fi front I loved the old series’ of Battlestar Galactica & Star Trek!
I much prefer Sci Fi films & TV series to Sci-Fi games for the most part!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 July 2017 11:16 AM

What about The Expanse? Heard good things about it
Hoping Farscape shows up on Netflix or something, liked the few episode I watched nut could never follow.

Best scifi show was Futurama Smile

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

The second trailer for season 7 of Game of Thrones was just amazing. Extremely looking forward to this one! Still my most anticipated series of the year.

I’m also looking forward to watch season 3 of Narcos, which should start somewhen soon. Not sure how the show is gonna feel like without Escobar, focussing on the Cali kartel instead.  However, I feel like the creators have proven their qualities with the first two seasons. Having said that, I have a certain hope that they’ll come up with something good.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

wilco - 09 July 2017 04:39 PM

I missed the beginning episodes because of some conflict or other and never got to watch it.  I’m hoping they’ll rerun it before the next season starts.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 09 July 2017 04:39 PM

Hoping Farscape shows up on Netflix or something, liked the few episode I watched nut could never follow.

The Expanse is Great - IMO the best sci-fi in a long time, but as a fan of the books I might be biased Wink
It even features a more or less realistic space battle, and is very much the hard sci-fi that BitingWit is looking for.

And Farscape WAS actually on Netflix until recently, that is where I watched it, but it seems to be gone now.

On the topic on best sci-fi series, my personal favorites are Farscape, Red Dwarf and of course Dr. Who. (was never a fan of Battlestar Gallactica)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

chrissie - 09 July 2017 12:54 PM
BitingWit - 08 July 2017 09:44 PM

I suppose I’m more of a “hard” science fiction fan, although I love westerns. I like the big ideas in SF, ideas about the future, what life will be like, how technology could change us. and Firefly didn’t seem to have much of that.

The hard fact is that it doesn’t matter how much technology there is that may change the way we live & ‘operate’, human nature itself will never change therefore it will not change us! (I thought Firefly did a good job of getting that across!) Also Firefly does offer a vision of the future. 

On the Sci-Fi front I loved the old series’ of Battlestar Galactica & Star Trek!
I much prefer Sci Fi films & TV series to Sci-Fi games for the most part!

It depends what you mean by human nature. In the most basic sense I agree with you that technology doesn’t change us, but then again it changes a lot. For example how farming changed the way we live, how phones and computers changed how we communicate. How meeting aliens might change how we see ourselves. So what I want in sci-fi is exploring possibilities for the future, rather than just the same old “action series in space”.

However, I am not looking for a new series to watch Iznogood. But thanks all the same!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Castlevania is really cool, short but fun, better adaptation than most movies. Want to see second season since it ended on a cliffhanger. Hope Warren Ellis stays writing.

A reminder that Game of Thrones is restarting this weekend! Battle of the queens is about begin

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

So the next Dr Who is…...

Jodie Whittaker from Broadchurch.  First woman to play the part

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That the actress from Attack the Block and The Smoke?

Could be interesting. Should be very different from Capaldi as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Isn’t Broadchurch with David Tennant? It’s all connected!

Known her from Attack on the Block and that cool Black Mirror episode, seems like good choice (but I’m still way behind on Doctor Who)

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

wilco - 16 July 2017 01:41 PM

Known her from Attack on the Block and that cool Black Mirror episode, seems like good choice (but I’m still way behind on Doctor Who)

I’m way behind, too, but I’m not sure about a female playing the part.  It’ll be interesting to see the transition and how she handles the role.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top