• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

POLL: Who is your least-liked protagonist?

Poll: Who is your least-liked protagonist?
Total Votes: 75
Malachi (Moebius)
Al Emmo
Rufus (Deponia)
Sadwick (Whispered World)
Samuel (Black Mirror)
Roger Samms (Bad Mojo)
Tex on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Gabriel Knight
Tony Tough
Larry
As-sayf (Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin)
Other

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Wanted to add more, like Benny, Ellen, Nimrod, Ted and Gorrister from IHNMAIMS, and that awful guy from Midnight Nowhere who lost his memory, but the poll’s limit is apparently 12 lines. I tried to find arrogant, obnoxious, whining, immature female protagonists and failed.*  Cry Any suggestions?

My own choice is Samuel in combination with his unlovely relatives in the sequels. Larry is in second place, with his incredibly sleazy and unpleasant behavior in the recent remake. Tex as a real bastard on BoBD is third.

*Well, I always hated Kate Walker but I realize I’m the only one. Edna is pretty obnoxious… problem is, I adore her.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Manny.

*hides*

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

diego - 20 April 2014 11:39 AM

Manny.

*hides*

Good idea.  Content

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’d have to go with Al Emmo.  It was the first time I had ever had a character that was so painful to listen to that it completely turned me off to the whole game.  That voice acting.  Oh God.  Supposedly they changed it in an update a while back, but the damage was already done.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Al Emmo was an awful character, even if he supposed to be like that. Surprised there is no mention of Simon the Sorcerer - a lot of people tend to hate him, especially the 3D version. I think if John Walker from RPS played it today, he would’ve exploded)) As for female character, I nominate that girl from Keepsake.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Lambonius - 20 April 2014 12:40 PM

I’d have to go with Al Emmo.  It was the first time I had ever had a character that was so painful to listen to that it completely turned me off to the whole game.  That voice acting.  Oh God.

Now that you mention it. 
It was a tossup between Al Emmo and Sadwick for me, but that miserable, whining excuse for a protagonist in The Whispered World won.  I stood him as long as I could and finally gave up and quit solely because of him.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oh yes, Simon! I would have added him to the poll if I hadn’t repressed the memory of him.

I hated Tony’s nasal voice much more than Sadwick’s whining. But I played the Whispered World in German, makes a difference. Al Emmo’s voice didn’t bother me one little bit. Fitted hem perfectly.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Karlok - 20 April 2014 11:22 AM

I tried to find arrogant, obnoxious, whining, immature female protagonists and failed.*  Cry Any suggestions?

My own choice is Samuel

*Well, I always hated Kate Walker but I realize I’m the only one.

Shockingly I have to agree with Karlok with both Samuel & Kate Walker Wink. Don’t know about Samuel’s relatives - his character plus the horrible voice acting and translations were enough to put me off the follow ups.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Samuel will always be my most hated protagonist, and unless Malachi runs around murdering more than 2 people, this will probably not change with Moebius.

There isn’t even a comparison with his relatives. We never play her, and BM2 and 3’s protagonist is gullible, whiny and Hamlety, but nowhere near as bad as Samuel.

During our time as Samuel we’re rude to everybody, abusive, manipulative and narcissistic.
We use a used syringe from the trash(!) to get rid of a guard just doing his job, electrocute a warden, abuse a psychically ill man, and get the mentally challenged boy we meet in town estranged from his brother, who’s been his only guardian his entire life. (And we knew this would happen)

By the end I was having fun abusing Samuel in the labyrinth and if he hadn’t killed himself, I’d probably tried to forcefully get him to do it..

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Seriously I don’t remember any protagonists that I intensely disliked.

I have to agree with many others (in other threads) that I didn’t really care about the couple in Runaway, Brian and Gina were they?

Of IHNAIMS my least favourite character was Benny, who was a prejudiced dick even after he’d been through 80 years of hell.

I personally like GK, Malachi and even both the Black Mirror protagonists.

I find some bland characters pretty boring but can’t really remember anyone that would have made me groan.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Malachi had potential and the theme was good just felt short, so its not him.

Larry i always found punchable. So voted larry.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Every time I heard Sadwick saying “uaaahhh” I thought of quitting the game, seriously

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

It was Samuel and Sadwick that almost forced me to uninstall before the ending.
I can’t imagine who would dislike Gabriel (Sins of the Fathers Gabriel that is). I was always fond of all his little imperfections because that’s what gave depth to his personality.
Geron was also kind of a bummer but I have this thing with Daedalic’s protagonists. (not you Edna).

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve played the fist chapter of TWW and Sadwick is funny, what’s wrong with you guys? Smile

I haven’t played Deponia or El Ammo, a bit scared of those experiences.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

millenia - 20 April 2014 05:43 PM

What’s wrong with you guys? Smile

“Everything!!” with Gary Oldman’ voice

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

millenia - 20 April 2014 05:43 PM

I haven’t played Deponia or El Ammo, a bit scared of those experiences.

Rufus is such a helpless prick that you mostly only feel bad for him.

El Ammo?? sounds like a cool name for a Mexican gunslinger Smile (I’ve seen this before)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top