• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The big “THE LAST EXPRESS” thread!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

With this game on sale for $2.39 at GOG.com until tomorrow, I’ve been rethinking it. Gosh, I loved this game. I only played the demo in 1997 and didn’t actually buy it until late 2000 when I saw the repackaged version in stores.

TLE is one of my favorites, and I’m sometimes inclined to regard it as the greatest achievement in adventure gaming. Maybe it’s not the best adventure game per se, and you guys can correct me if I’m wrong, but the entire structure of the gameplay and real time environments really stand out to me in a league of their own.

Just the enormous task of recording actors from all sorts of angles and incorporating this into the dynamic environment is so impressive to me. The consequences of performing certain tasks, or missing certain dialogues, is really cool.

Found a decent retrospective here that comments on all the greatness of TLE: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/29/crap-shoot-the-last-express/

And this may have been discussed on the old forum (it sounds weird saying that), but on two occasions beans have been spilled about a TLE movie being in development.

Firstly, in 2010 there was this interview in which director Paul Verhoeven hinted at working on a pre-WWI movie based on a game. http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/04/13/exclusive-paul-verhoeven-pushes-play-on-video-game-adaptation-set-in-1914/

Then, in October 2011 Verhoeven discussed the project and how he wanted to shoot it in 3D to add realism to the claustrophobia of the train environments. Go to the 6:40 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcXp3r63WIw&feature=player_embedded

I would absolutely be thrilled at a film version of TLE. It’s easily a top 5 story ever among adventure games. Hell, it’s a better story than what’s found in most Hollywood movies. It makes me sad that the game was so poorly marketed and commercially received. It’s a monumental artistic piece of work.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

http://jordanmechner.com/blog/2012/09/tl-trailer/

Coming to iOS on Sept. 27.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The Last Express is one of the greatest achievements in adventure gaming history in my opinion as well.  It combines an innovative real-time system with top notch voice acting(in multiple languages), amazing attention to detail, with great characters and a great story.  The weakness of the game is just that you pretty much are seeking out conversations to understand what you are doing, and that the rotoscoping technique the game displays during the fight scenes, walking, and a few other sequences are far more impressive than the motion comic type stills that you’re generally watching, so I wish the game had possessed the budget to rotoscope everything.  That said, it is still a very appealing style as is.  And it is a very good choice to transfer to the iOS.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I bought this game when it was released and loved it. A great game. I should replay it again sometime and enjoy the game a second time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

OK, having the topic THE LAST EXPRESS - Everything you wanted to know about this gem game moved in archived forum, I would like to start a new thread about this game, including links, pictures etc. With the release for iOS platform, this is a good chance for everyone who is now playing the game on iOS to say how he/she likes new features in the game - controls, hint mechanism, characters’ unlockable biographies etc. I am really curious, waiting for possible Android release.

Few essential links to start with:

Trailer for iOS release
TLE for iOS at app store
DotEmu TLE

Recent Guardian interview with Jordan Mechner
1up.com interview (short)
Getting This Classic Adventure Game onto the iPad Wasn’t Easy article

TLE news at Jordan Mechner’s website

Official facebook TLE page incl. rare photos, news etc.

Facebook fan group, where you can also get in touch with the creators of the game

Plus sharing my 2 cents:

25fps website Interview with art director of TLE Nicole Tostevin

25fps website Analysis of TLE

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 02 October 2012 04:49 PM

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/344/

Sorry for doubling, if it is convenient, admin can delete this topic and I can copy my post from here to your topic, meanwhile I found this review at Pocketgamer.co.uk

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

LOL no worries man. I probably seemed like a dick by just posting the url and not saying anything.

But yea, I tried to start a TLE thread earlier this year and it didn’t really take off. Maybe you’ll have better luck! Or if an admin merges them, that’s good, too.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 02 October 2012 05:23 PM

LOL no worries man. I probably seemed like a dick by just posting the url and not saying anything.

But yea, I tried to start a TLE thread earlier this year and it didn’t really take off. Maybe you’ll have better luck! Or if an admin merges them, that’s good, too.

No, it was ok Smile I should have taken a better look. Maybe The Last Express fans merge more on facebook, but I still think AG forum is a great place to discuss this brilliant game. I enjoy reading various opinions and even though there might not be any more Easter Eggs to be found, there is - with possibility of film adaptation, prequel or sequel not ruled out (as you can read below) - a lot to discuss.

I would just like to remind fans who play it on iOS, it is great if you share a short review and ranking on itunes.apple.com, so the game gets more attention. It might be small help, but in final very important for not only porting it to other devices, but also creating another piece of art…

Have you ever thought of producing a follow-up to Last express? It feels like it could so easily be a series…
I love these characters and their world and I’ve certainly thought of revisiting them. Story-wise, [lead character Robert] Cath being the kind of guy he is, and the 20th century being what it was, there’s no doubt he would go on getting into trouble and probably landing on the losing side of more struggles – during the war, after the war… A certain promise is made at the end of the game; it would be interesting to find out what happens with that. Or a prequel involving Cath and Tyler’s younger adventures, like the one that ended so badly in Cuba – or was it Mexico?

The thing is, the original TLE was such a huge, ambitious undertaking – technically, artistically, logistically – it would be virtually impossible to fund an adventure game on that scale today. The challenge would be to find a way to do it that is smaller, but still builds on the original game in a way that’s new and interesting. It would have to be done with the internet and mobile in mind from the beginning.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

veruncheek, how about - THE LAST EXPRESS - everything about this gem game PART II?  Wink I’m sure you’ve got some new trivia and info to share. Tongue

As for the mobile release, it’s fine, but come on Jordan - we need The Last Express 2 Tongue . Also, what is everyone opinion on it? Does it need a sequel? And how about The Special Edition of The Last Express? Can it be upgraded? The only thing that springs to mind is to make full frames at those certain places. Although, you can argue that it’s also part of its charm.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

diego - 02 October 2012 06:31 PM

veruncheek, how about - THE LAST EXPRESS - everything about this gem game PART II?  Wink I’m sure you’ve got some new trivia and info to share. Tongue

Aaargh, you are right, that could be the name of the topic Smile Too bad I cannot change it now. I am failing again and again today Tongue Still, I am afraid I have given away everything I know… Well, at least all important gems. Some minor things like how to jump on Rebecca’s trunk and to some other places I should check more, as I am sure there are some really stupid things you can do (such as go to Obolensky’s compartment, where the poor guy is laying, you just turn around on left and right etc. few times, so he starts to move uncalmly in his bed—- of course, blowing whistle to conductors’ faces is a common mischief)  Grin
I was in Kraków to visit my friend and she does not know The Last Express, so I spent about an hour talking about it, showing her part of playthrough video, telling her about the characters, their accents, story, atmosphere etc. and she really wanted to play it, though she is not a gamer. Which I think is great. Anyone with interest in history, culture, quality storytelling etc. have to love TLE, I am sure. The other thing is, of course, that real time playing is not for everyone. But that would be repeating of what has been already told.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

I love the original - very innovative and with an atmosphere game developers forgot, that of Agatha Christie murder mysteries.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Great photos from the shooting in 1997, some shots are really amazing and funny:

Last Express Behind the Scenes on a live-action rotoscoped film set 1997

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Lovely pics! My favorite one is Cath hanging from the “roof” of the train, while Vesna is stepping on his hands. Smile I love the one on the bike too.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

veruncheek -

Sorry for doubling, if it is convenient, admin can delete this topic and I can copy my post from here to your topic

inm8#2 -

Or if an admin merges them, that’s good, too.

Your wish is my command.
Both threads have been merged into “The big “THE LAST EXPRESS” thread!”.

I really should get around to playing The Last Express.
Or better: I should stop getting sidetracked by non-adventure games all the time. The Last Express is just sitting there as one of my next games in line to be played. It’s totally within sight…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

We truly need Jordan Mechner back in the video game industry! It’s a bit of a shame that his passion is divided between movies and video games, because his work for video games is much more important and influential, I feel. He’s such a brilliant writer!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top