• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Still best seller

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

After all those years Myst* still best selling ag today(at gog.com),
this list clear proof that Myst series need revival and GK too.

1.Myst: Masterpiece Edition *
2.Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
3.Quest for Glory 1-5
4.Riven: The Sequel to Myst *
5.Longest Journey, The
6.Gabriel Knight 2:The Beast Within
7.Resonance
8.Real Myst *
9.To The Moon
10.Sanitarium
gog.com best selling adventures

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I’d go for a new GK, but not if the amateurish “Phoenix Online” team has anything to do with it.

Also, I wonder if the GOG sales of the original GK games are eating into the potential sales of the unnecessary GK retread. Outside of a very small group, I just don’t see there being much enthusiasm for that remake. Perhaps if it were being developed by an actual respected, seasoned top level developer the situation would be different.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

OrionO - 13 April 2014 05:52 PM

I’d go for a new GK, but not if the amateurish “Phoenix Online” team has anything to do with it.

Also, I wonder if the GOG sales of the original GK games are eating into the potential sales of the unnecessary GK retread. Outside of a very small group, I just don’t see there being much enthusiasm for that remake. Perhaps if it were being developed by an actual respected, seasoned top level developer the situation would be different.

Eh, yeah i think its tough to argue that it really is needed. I mean im sure some people wont play gk1 because of the graphics… im just not sure those people are going to be happy with the game no matter what you do.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, there’s a reason Myst is still being ported to every system imaginable - it still sells. Kind of weird that whoever owns the rights is not doing anything now except ports and remakes.

Interesting that Quest for Glory is the best-selling Sierra collection. Could be because Kings Quest and Space Quest are also available on Steam and not divided like on gog.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I love Myst, but damn do I think Journeyman should be up there on the list especially how popular its gotten since its re-release of Pegasus Prime. Where can I find the source of this Top 10 list? If you have list, always provide a source.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-12-05

PM

I played The Longest Journey a while back but couldn’t finish, because the game started crashing (damn you, cd-rom Cry), so maybe I’ll try it out again (with some luck, this time it will work properly).

Favorite Games: Blackwell Series, Gemini Rue, To the Moon, Yesterday.
Playing now: Gods Will Be Watching.
Next to play: Analogue: A Hate Story.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I recently bought Myst: Masterpiece Edition because it was bundled with four games I did want. GOG does those promotions where it’s cheaper to buy games you don’t really want, so you may want to take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Glad to see Resonance on the list. I assume this would be completely different if LucasArts titles were on GOG.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Monolith - 13 April 2014 10:32 PM

Where can I find the source of this Top 10 list? If you have list, always provide a source.

The default sorting order while browsing the gog catalogue is by bestsellers:
http://www.gog.com/games/adventure

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-10

PM

I agree that the rankings would be a bit different if LucasArts would have its games for sale. Having said that, I am glad to see Gabriel Knight 2:The Beast Within get some love. It is still one of my favorite games ever and it just draws you in from the word go.

Anyone heard of http://FlappyGamer.com ?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 13 April 2014 06:23 PM

Well, there’s a reason Myst is still being ported to every system imaginable - it still sells. Kind of weird that whoever owns the rights is not doing anything now except ports and remakes.

I think you explained that before you raised the issue: it still sells, so why try harder?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

TimovieMan - 14 April 2014 05:01 PM

I think you explained that before you raised the issue: it still sells, so why try harder?

Accessibility. If it sells, why make it compatible on modern platforms? Because its no longer compatible. Trying harder isn’t a pointless cause.

That’s the same logic people had with the remake of RealMyst….compatibility and accessibility. Yet people try hard to ignore that.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

You misread my point. Creating something new is trying harder. Remakes and ports aren’t.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 14 April 2014 05:01 PM

But Cyan does the ports/remakes and they are making the “spiritual” sequel - Obduction - so who owns the rights to make a sequel to Myst? Ubisoft? If so, probably not worth the hassle for them because Myst 3 and 4 are not even available digitally.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top