• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Making A Harry Potter Adventure Game

Poll: Do you think this is a good idea for a game?
Total Votes: 27
Yes!
No.
Maybe.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t know the legal issues but the reality is no one will care if such a low budget free game borrows liberally from HP. Check out this game, Udoiana Raunes in Search for Indiana Jones 4. They say they didn’t ask Lucas for permission, although it doesn’t exactly market itself as a canon Indy game.

The same could be done with Harry Potter. Just call it something else. I’d want a different story anyway not a retread of the books/movies.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I suggest you take a look at the excellent spellcasting series, very HP like, but predate it by a decade.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I haven’t read much Harry Potter but aren’t they kids books? (Spellcasting is an adult oriented game series - the first game is titled “Sorcerers Get All The Girls”). Although - getting Harry to find ways to seduce girls at his wizard college would certainly be more entertaining than the events of the film Thumbs Up

How about it EpicSpacePanda?  Tongue

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Harry Potter is also somewhat similar to Simon the Sorcerer series. I even recall they managed to find a publisher for Simon 3D only due to the HP success.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 10 April 2014 11:17 PM

Just call it something else.

Parry Hotter? Tongue

I wouldn’t mind a Harry Potter adventure, but I believe it’s impossible to be a Harry Potter & adventure games fan without playing Simon the Sorcerer and Discworld titles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Oscar - 12 April 2014 04:25 AM

I haven’t read much Harry Potter but aren’t they kids books? (Spellcasting is an adult oriented game series - the first game is titled “Sorcerers Get All The Girls”). Although - getting Harry to find ways to seduce girls at his wizard college would certainly be more entertaining than the events of the film Thumbs Up

How about it EpicSpacePanda?  Tongue

That would certainly be a way more interesting, the only problem is that most of the characters are under-age.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

If the game was high quality and had any kind of press it would get served quick its such a big name. And if the question was is it a good to idea to make a bad game that nobody notices.. i think everyone would say no.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I always thought it was disappointing that none of the Harry Potter games were adventure games. But I think I’d rather play a game that is not about Harry Potter himself. I’ve already read those books. And a game that took place in some other school for magic would not have the copyright problems. There are certainly other games about a school for magic (even some casual games, like Magic Academy and Chronicles of Albian 2: The Wizbury School of Magic). The Spellcasting series predates Harry Potter, so it’s not like Harry Potter has any kind of monopoly on schools for magic.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

OP, i had an idea for an adventure game a couple of times, well when it came to actually making one… Different story. It takes a lot of work.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I suppose on a parody one wouldn’t need the IP rights, but is parody a style the OP wants to or could do?

I agree that doing an adventure in another magic school would probably solve the problem. You can still borrow bits and pieces as long as you make enough substance on your own.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top