• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Call of Cthulhu

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Holmes fixated Frogwares finally comin up with a(oldie)new title:Lovecraft’s cthulhu..

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Hey that looks interesting!

Edit: they announced it on their website on Jan. 17 already: http://www.frogwares.com/blog/call-of-cthulhu-video-game-announced/

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Bethesda’s cthulhu had great potential with storyline and action but poor visuals and broken gameplay mechanics..I dont expect great action sequences from frogwares but story and
ambiance must be dead on this time.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Have a peek at this thread.

I’m really looking forward to this so nice find with the two new concept arts.  Thumbs Up

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Also

Obviously this thing doesn’t work at the University. Tongue

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 02 April 2014 11:38 PM

She’s from the political science faculty (or marketing) Naughty

This is Frogwares’ “coming out”. They’ve always wanted to make Lovecraft games - the evidence is The Awakened, their increasingly gory/dark stories, and creepy Watson.

About the title…haven’t we had dozens of games titled “Call of Cthulu” over the past 20 years? There are other Lovecraft stories, guys.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oscar - 03 April 2014 12:34 AM
Monolith - 02 April 2014 11:38 PM

She’s from the politics faculty (or marketing) Naughty

This is Frogwares’ “coming out”. They’ve always wanted to make Lovecraft games - the evidence is The Awakened, their increasingly gory/dark stories, and creepy Watson.

About the title…haven’t we had dozens of games titled “Call of Cthulu” over the past 20 years? There are other Lovecraft stories, guys.

I don’t think “Call of Cthulhu” is termed after the story (actually there isn’t a story exactly named call of cthulhu written by lovecraft), but the brand Call of Cthulhu which consists of a host of Lovecraftian mythos. So you can’t overdo what represents everything lovecraft. You’re probably thinking of the short story “The Call of Cthulhu”.

I actually kinda agree with the Political Sciences. Tongue Makes a lot of sense.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

The Call of Cthulhu logo is the same one that Chaosium uses for their Call of Cthulhu role playing game, so I guess they are working together with them?

I’m very excited about this game, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened was already very good, so I’m sure that the Lovecraft stuff is in good hands with them.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Yes, they have said that the game will be based on the pen and paper RPG (but so have almost every computer game based on Lovecraft ever made).

The first novel where Cthulhu appears is named Call of Cthulhu. Although it appears in other novels as well, the first one is more or less the only one where it has a major role. Most games tend to take inspiration from many different novels though (so did the RPG) so I don’t think we have to worry about that.  Wink

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

It doesnt matter what name or theme they follow what matters to me is that they nail
the atmosphere and writing style of it.

Only games that reek lovecraftian feel are Eternaldarkness and Dark corners of the earth.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Henke - 05 April 2014 12:06 PM

Yes, they have said that the game will be based on the pen and paper RPG (but so have almost every computer game based on Lovecraft ever made).

The first novel where Cthulhu appears is named Call of Cthulhu. Although it appears in other novels as well, the first one is more or less the only one where it has a major role. Most games tend to take inspiration from many different novels though (so did the RPG) so I don’t think we have to worry about that.  Wink

Clarification, its called ‘the Call of Cthulhu’. Call of Cthulhu brand takes quite a bit from all of Lovecraft’s works. Thats why Call of Cthulhu is quite popular as a Pen and Paper game, as it captures a wide range of Lovecraft’s mythology.

They don’t have to confirm anything. The logo and name speak for itself.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Monolith - 06 April 2014 03:39 AM
Henke - 05 April 2014 12:06 PM

Clarification, its called ‘the Call of Cthulhu’. Call of Cthulhu brand takes quite a bit from all of Lovecraft’s works. Thats why Call of Cthulhu is quite popular as a Pen and Paper game, as it captures a wide range of Lovecraft’s mythology.

They don’t have to confirm anything. The logo and name speak for itself.

My hype level just keeps rising when talking about it. It’s been a really long time since I played it but couldn’t you even choose different time periods in which your game could be set in? The biggest feature was of course your sanity level, exactly what monsters you saw was rather irrelevant. Wink 

nomadsoul - 05 April 2014 02:17 PM

It doesnt matter what name or theme they follow what matters to me is that they nail
the atmosphere and writing style of it.

Only games that reek lovecraftian feel are Eternaldarkness and Dark corners of the earth.

You don’t think Amnesia nailed it?

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Absolutely correct!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Bonsai - 07 April 2014 04:14 PM

Absolutely correct!

I’ll take it you guys have never heard of Shadow of the Comet

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Amnesia, Penumbra, Dark Corners, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening, etc. Of course Eternal Darkness was the absolute perfect representation of Lovecraftian in gaming, but you would have to thank Alone in the Dark 1 for survival horror Lovecraftian type games.

There is no such thing as nailing ‘Lovecraftian’ but perfecting various aspects that Lovecraft establish in its stories. To say “Only games that reek lovecraftian feel” is quite daft. Many things can possess the Lovecraftian feel. Thats like saying Adventure games can only be point and click. Its completely wrong. Lovecraftian is pretty much a genre, there is no one absolute way of handling it. There could be something completely devoid of the Lovecraftian mythology and still be Lovecraftian.

Also if you were to read any of Lovecraft’s works, you would realize it isn’t just filled with Fish monsters and Dagon & Cthulhu. If there is something you should of set is that your suggested games are very Cthulhuian.

“What? No Cthulhu. Definitely can’t be lovecraftian”

More educational essay on the subject:
http://lovecraftzine.com/2013/04/15/defining-lovecraftian-horror-an-essay-by-pete-rawlik/

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Judging by what I have read here, people know (and read) very little about (of) H.P. Lovecraft’s opus.

I can only agree with Diego here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top