• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why so serious?

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

At this year’s Games Developer Conference in San Francisco, there was a post-mortem panel about the rise and fall of LucasArts.

Ron Gilbert was on the panel and said something that struck me - that he thought that humor was so important in an adventure game because, “what you’re doing in adventure games is often so ridiculous - that it makes more sense when you can poke fun at what you’re doing. In a serious game, doing those same actions can break the suspension of disbelief.”

This got me to thinking. I absolutely understand what he was saying - and agree that in a comic game, especially something like Monkey Island the humorous meta-commentary only deepens the experience.

Then I thought of my least favorite puzzle of all-time, which happens in a game I quite admire, The Longest Journey. It’s how you retrieve a key in the tracks. You remember. TLJ is a serious game - sure, it has humor but it’s attempting to build tension, and a real, mature world - yet it has this puzzle which is absolutely absurd.

So I don’t really have a question - I’m just curious what others think about how absurd puzzles or the unrealistic actions an adv game character makes impact your experience and your immersion in games which aren’t meant to be funny.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Then again, in shooters every building is labyrinth and player kills more than action film hero. Oh, so believable. Trouble with overcomplicated puzzles isn’t immersion, but fact that adventure games have existed so long that ingenious puzzles tend to be done in past, but designers still have to come up with challenge.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Gonzosports - 25 March 2014 01:06 AM

Ron Gilbert was on the panel and said something that struck me - that he thought that humor was so important in an adventure game because, “what you’re doing in adventure games is often so ridiculous - that it makes more sense when you can poke fun at what you’re doing. In a serious game, doing those same actions can break the suspension of disbelief.”

I’m not fond of this, because it’s a design philosophy that’s been abused in the past (including by Gilbert in MI2). Coming up with contrived, nonsensical (i.e. bad) puzzles and hoping that poking fun at how contrived and nonsensical they are somehow excuses everything is lazy and insulting. If you make an unfair, frustrating puzzle and then laugh about it, you’re not laughing with the player, you’re laughing at the player.

So I’m all for games breaking the fourth wall and poking fun at their own conventions, but that should never be used as an excuse for bad puzzle design.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Serious vs. comical is just a personal preference.  Personally I’ve always preferred serious games.  I also prefer serious television and serious movies to straight comedies.

I typically don’t really have major problems with bad puzzles either, as long as the rest of the game is good enough to overcome it.  I may be irked by some of them, but one stupid puzzle is certainly not going to ruin an otherwise great game for me.  Even with serious games.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I can’t really think of ANY adventure game that has ever played it completely straight and had no humor in it whatsoever.  The Longest Journey, for example, mentioned above, had plenty of humorous moments.  Most of these kinds of games, even the so-called serious ones, are more like Raiders of the Lost Ark—a serious premise, but rife with plenty of comedic moments.  Games don’t have to be outright comedies to have comedic elements.

In terms of puzzle abstraction, I’ve never thought of it as something that works better in comedies vs. non-comedies.  Abstract puzzles are just a staple of adventure games.  Some are great, some aren’t.  I’m not sure the tone of the game’s story has much to do with it.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Kurufinwe - 25 March 2014 03:14 AM
Gonzosports - 25 March 2014 01:06 AM

I’m not fond of this, because it’s a design philosophy that’s been abused in the past (including by Gilbert in MI2). Coming up with contrived, nonsensical (i.e. bad) puzzles and hoping that poking fun at how contrived and nonsensical they are somehow excuses everything is lazy and insulting. If you make an unfair, frustrating puzzle and then laugh about it, you’re not laughing with the player, you’re laughing at the player.

So I’m all for games breaking the fourth wall and poking fun at their own conventions, but that should never be used as an excuse for bad puzzle design.

I pretty much echo this.

There’s quite a few classic adventure games I don’t like because of the badly designed puzzles.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

For my money, Monkey Island 2 doesn’t have a bad puzzle in it.  But that’s another topic.  Wink

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I dunno. People make lots of stupid things in real life (see politicians, for example). Sometimes I come up with ridiculous solutions to my problems, so I can relate myself to adventure heroes, especially if I’m in a hurry or out of money. Not that I go and steal from a beggar, of course Smile That said, I don’t usually fly to Miami for no reason, so the question of logic and motivation is always important. Monkey Island 2 felt all logical to me, no complaints there. If I was a pirate-wanna-be, I’d have acted the same way.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

Well, it may sound like a bullet-proof idea on paper but I doubt it is as effective as Gilbert implies. This is one of the rules he set out to follow in the design article he wrote in the 80s, which summarized many clever solutions to the nonsensical aspects of adventure game puzzles.

The application of some of these rules however, such as the one we’re discussing here, don’t necessarily work out all the time. For instance, I am not always amused by stupid puzzles in comedy games. So I guess regardless of story type, the design has to be adapted for it.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I’m not so delusional that I ever forget that I’m playing a game. I like serious games, and funny ones. As long as the whole experience is really integrated around a cool style and narrative, any storytelling genre is appropriate.

I actually find funny games more risky generally, because often times they’re just not funny and they try too hard. That really takes away from my enjoyment, I don’t like disliking the characters. That’s why Monkey Island’s brand of humor is great, the characters actually don’t try to tell that many jokes. The game just IS funny, the things you do are funny and don’t need to be spelled out. The dialog is actually very short and concise and obviously not spoken, and the repetition has a funny effect after awhile, it allows you to fill in the blanks to make it funny to you.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top