• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tales from the Borderlands - Telltale

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

fov - 10 March 2014 11:46 PM

For those who have played it, do you think it’s a good setting for an adventure game? What’s it about?

Its about memorable characters with their unique comical personalities.
Nothing serious, but politics around the universe is hard.

Hyperion is one of the leading corp, which manufacturers
alot of tech and ofcourse guns. There are all kinds of corps,
fighting for planetary sources and what not.

Now Blands 1 was weak in story and characters, part 2 ramped it up in
fully realized setting.

Its like 80/90s carotoon show basically, where you can do lot of side stories if written well. Thing is like comics and cartoons,where you develop liking for these characters,marcus, claptrap, jack, madmoxxi etc.
Like if i will see brick or Dr.zed it will make me go crazy.
Bigassmuthafukka alpha skags became memes in community.
Smile
This universe is goldmine for writers of TTG, but when they say
borderlands humor ,you will have no frame of reference to enjoy.

(And there is so much talk in audio diaries in between game that i cant even
suggest cutscenes on youtube).

Best bet to enjoy is after playing TTG version check back on Blands Wiki.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Having only playd BL1 (waiting for the Vita version to play BL2) I’m not really interested in the setting but from the panel and nomadsoul comments it seems they might have a unique game.
The cel-shading art style seems like a match for TellI’m interested in dark comedy sci-fi setting, 2 characters story-perspective, it’s distant enough from the other Telltale games to be something different and unique. Working on a games specific license might be good for Telltale to experiment a different formula.
What I’m not keen about are the “cinematic” action sequences and if the game does require an extensive knowledge of the BL mythos to fully enjoy it.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I like Telltales games, but I’m a bit unsure about this one. I’ve never really been interested in the Boaderland games, but knowing telltale it will have a decent story to it. I’m just unsure if I’ll need to know the universe before hand to understand whats going on.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

fov - 10 March 2014 11:46 PM
zane - 10 March 2014 08:35 PM

Do they? I ask that sincerely, im not sure. In their descriptions of TWD2 and the wolf among us theres no mention of the word adventure to be found on the telltale page. And i didnt watch that whole video above, but i didnt hear anybody calling it an adventure game.
I still consider their games to be in the adventure genre, but i do get the impression telltale is distancing themselves from it.

From the very first answer on the Wolf Among Us FAQ: “Like The Walking Dead, it is an adventure game focused on story and characters.”

Its good to see it somewhere, but still feels like you have to hunt for it. The “about telltale games” also doesnt mention the genre. Its not like for example, going to wadget eye where they tell you right off the bat “we’re a company that makes adventure games”. And im sure their reasoning is complicated and related to that they want to appeal to an audience beyond the “adventure” label.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Well neither Tim called TTgames as traditional adventure, nor one of the PR piece or it was
TTG dev himself called them Interactive fiction.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

“The Walking Dead” won the aggie as adventure game of the year.

I am also sure this one is as good. I played “The Wolf Among Us” and found it to be just as good as “The Walking Dead” - that is, the first two episodes.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 11 March 2014 08:33 AM

Having only playd BL1 (waiting for the Vita version to play BL2) I’m not really interested in the setting but from the panel and nomadsoul comments it seems they might have a unique game.

What I’m not keen about are the “cinematic” action sequences and if the game does require an extensive knowledge of the BL mythos to fully enjoy it.

So the cashcows prequel to Borderlands2 has been announced with claptrap as palayable character, set on the moon made by 2k aussie for last gen.

Story will show the ascension of jack, as i said jack was too good and not surprising
he is returning. You cant get enough of him.

They are making harder to sell ps3, i have finsihed blands2 with just one class
and its such a long game that it demands time and energy to start a new one.
While you plan , they announce another title with 4 new classes and new setup.

Cry

Btw, that vita version looks like poop

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 09 April 2014 01:16 PM

Btw, that vita version looks like poop

Yeah, I saw the previews… Disappointing. I’ll wait for the reviews but I’ll probably stick to the PC version.

So, it’s probably Tales from Borderlands and Bordelands Pre-Sequel this year and next-gen Borderlands next year.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

FRESH ingame pics

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Looks good. I didn’t play any of the Borderland games so I don’t have an opinion on this series yet but I really like The Wolf Among Us so I’ll probably try at least ep1.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve personally only played the first Borderlands and I didn’t care that much of it, despite I do like how it looks. The current style of Telltale does look like a perfect match to that.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lucien21 - 10 March 2014 07:31 PM

Getting a tad fed up of any thread where Telltale is mentioned up quickly descending into snide potshots.

Pan  Pan

Me too.

You know, what has turned me off Telltale games since The Walking Dead isn’t the gameplay but the graphics. They simply aren’t attractive. It’s not due to the settings either - you can have a gritty, dirty world that looks pretty and appealing. I don’t mind that Wolf Among Us and Borderlands are set in desolate, apocalyptic environments. They just look awful to me.

Then you have Primordia, Beneath a Steel Sky, Machinarium, Tex - all lovely.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

Graphics-wise, I think The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us look gorgeous. And some of the earlier series, especially Sam & Max: Season Two and Tales of Monkey Island, were beautiful games as well.

But this? Yes, I agree it looks awful. A big pass on this one for me, but I’m still intrigued by Game of Thrones.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Looks good to me.  But then I usually don’t care about graphics all that much.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

So, reading some of the previews on this has got me interested. You don’t need to know anything about the other games for this or GoT to play them which was a big concern for me.

Going by the media, it seems we’ll be seeing these two games run along side each other like TWAU and TWDS2 in about a month or so. Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top