• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Poll: How many D’s? Dimensions of adventure games.

Poll: What is your favorite adventure game "cameras" setup?
Total Votes: 44
2D and old-school low-res
2D and modern high-res
3D but with a (mostly) fixed camera
3D with fully movable camera
3D - first person
I don’t have a preference... whatever works best for the game

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2014-02-02

PM

Hi everyone… curious about how everyone is feeling about the old 2D/3D debate these days. There have been successful and popular games with both setups in the last couple years. Has this swayed the vote one way or another?

Curious about your thoughts and opinions!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t really have a prefrence other than that I’d hope low resolution would creep back in the 90’s.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I fear this may be a case of “what works best” for almost everyone.

In my opinion it’s kind of like in the movies: don’t go into unnecessary effort unless you have a good reason for it. A lot of adventure games work very well in 2D and don’t really need any extra dimensions (in fact some would be hurt by such), but then again there are many examples where, when well done and thought out, adds a lot to the gameplay. In the best case it’s something like Gabriel Knight 3 where the 3D implementation takes the immersion, gameplay and, well, the whole game to levels completely unparalleled. To a more minor extent, I really liked the implementation of 3D in The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, where I feel - once again - that the 3D added immersion and a sense of realism.

To me, however, first person 3D is the most difficult one in an adventure game. It’s easily too narrow and constricting. But, again, if done well… (and again, the Sherlock Holmes is a great example of having it as one of the three different modes that you can switch on the fly - and I found them all useful exactly because of that)

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Definitely 2

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-05-08

PM

I like old-school 2D graphics. So much of my love for the genre is nostalgia so the older games look best to me (I think the Monkey Island remakes are the worst order of blasphemy). But beyond that, I really like pixel art because of my days with RPG Maker. Resonance being the best modern adventure only proves that low res 2D is THE LORD YOUR GOD!

I also don’t mind terrible 3D on rendered backgrounds like Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey. Again, nostalgia.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Adventure gamers shouldn’t even call themselves adventure gamers anymore. You’re not interested in “adventure games”, you’re interested in games that look, sound, play and feel like they were made in 1991.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Venkman - 11 March 2014 12:52 AM

Adventure gamers shouldn’t even call themselves adventure gamers anymore. You’re not interested in “adventure games”, you’re interested in games that look, sound, play and feel like they were made in 1991.

Well not all of them. A small minority of what I’ve seen, but some of them tend to be so vocal that you’d think the love for low resolution is universal. It was pretty evident during the Kickstarters and there’s still people out there who are disappointed that game such and such didn’t go for pixel art.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

If the Williamses had continued on at Sierra up to the present day, the norm for adventure games would almost certainly be 3D graphics with at least a partially movable camera. And they would be good.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I voted “whatever works best”. Because as long as the manner of presentation (and gameplay) fit the game, it’s all good.

I couldn’t imagine Dreamfall: The Longest Journey working as well as a point-and-click 2.5D game any more than I could imagine The Longest Journey in 3rd person 3D. And that’s just one example.

We could use more 3D (first person, third person and with a movable camera) adventure games, though. But that has more to do with there being an abundance of 2D games already. I like a balance. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I like beautifully drawn 2D games, but you are right, I’m not all that excited about them anymore. I wish there were more quality 3D games that take full advantage of this (already old!) technology. Games like Gabriel Knight 3, Tex Murphy, Uru, Penumbra. But not those “interactive stories” things that only downgrade the gameplay, of course. So my vote goes to “3D with fully movable camera”, just because I want to see things getting evolved.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I also voted “whatever works best”, but I think that my two favourite kinds would be “2D and modern high-res” and “3D with fully movable camera”.

I tend to prefer 3d person games over 1st person, though I also play 1st person games. I also appreciate modern high-res graphics, though I wont exclude a game simply because it has old-school low-res graphics.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m just glad people have the common sense to vote for “I don’t mind”. lol Seriously, if done properly all of the above should be a valid choice and not a nail in the coffin.

Things that would benefit PnC adventures in Real-Time 3d is real-time lighting, physics based movement, dynamic environments, etc. So much can be done, but most of the time devs try to make do with pre-rendered 2d environments.

Its saddening to see adventure games turned into typical third person or first person games. PnC is very much alive and somehow there is still so much we can do with it.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top