• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Projection Mapping in BoUT2

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-07-30

PM

Hi everyone,

in our latest Kickstarter update we have a video with more details on the projection mapping technique we use for The Book of Unwritten Tales 2.

Here’s the video:

We think the technology works very well.
What do you think?

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

I think it’s a very clever way of getting a good performance to detail tradeoff.I imagine you guys somehow constrain the player from moving to those angles right?Did you try this approach to achieve the same quality over any platform instead of having quality settings in the game?Or do you have quality settings as well removing the detailed versions of those GameObjects leaving behind the rough low poly?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Visually it’s an improvement, at least from what I see in this example. Just curious—how is hotspot discovery handled? Do you need to maneuver the player character next to the hotspots? Or do you sweep the screen with the mouse?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Looks amazing.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah, this technique was established some time ago in a Monkey Island tech demo by some fan. Made the whole experience phenomenal while also allowing developers to make the environment even more lively.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2012-07-30

PM

Becky - 11 March 2014 07:59 AM

Visually it’s an improvement, at least from what I see in this example. Just curious—how is hotspot discovery handled? Do you need to maneuver the player character next to the hotspots? Or do you sweep the screen with the mouse?

As the whole game will be controlled with your mouse, hotspots are discovered like in almost any adventure, by sweeping the mouse over the screen. But just like in BoUT1 there will also be a snoop key that let’s you highlight all the hotspots in a location.

Joined 2012-07-30

PM

jhetfield21 - 08 March 2014 02:55 AM

I think it’s a very clever way of getting a good performance to detail tradeoff.I imagine you guys somehow constrain the player from moving to those angles right?Did you try this approach to achieve the same quality over any platform instead of having quality settings in the game?Or do you have quality settings as well removing the detailed versions of those GameObjects leaving behind the rough low poly?

The camera will move automatically instead of being controlled by the player, so the angles will always look good.

We are of course trying to keep the system requirements as low as possible, but there will probably still be quality settings, to make the game run as smoothly as possible on any machine. The rough low poly model of the locations won’t ever be visible though.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

As a 3d CG artist, I really enjoy these kind of making-of videos. Smile (I’ve been fond of the digital extra of BoUT 1, especially the concept drawings and the “turn-into-3D” of them)
This scene is a real pleasure for the eyes and is very well done, can’t tell the difference between high-poly and texture-baked scene. Great improvement to the static backgrounds!

Is that Unity that you use in the video ? I guess it’s only for the demo purpose, but I would be glad to know how is this engine involved in your process.

(And I would totally love playing on my Android tablet!)

Monolith - 12 March 2014 04:08 AM

Yeah, this technique was established some time ago in a Monkey Island tech demo by some fan. Made the whole experience phenomenal while also allowing developers to make the environment even more lively.

Could you please post any link to this ? Smile

Joined 2012-07-30

PM

Shimrod - 13 March 2014 10:13 AM

Is that Unity that you use in the video ? I guess it’s only for the demo purpose, but I would be glad to know how is this engine involved in your process.

We use Unity as our engine for the game, not just for demo purposes.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Marco Rosenberg (KING Art Games) - 12 March 2014 12:20 PM

The camera will move automatically instead of being controlled by the player, so the angles will always look good.

We are of course trying to keep the system requirements as low as possible, but there will probably still be quality settings, to make the game run as smoothly as possible on any machine. The rough low poly model of the locations won’t ever be visible though.

Naturally on both counts.

@Shimrod:Totally with you on this one,seeing tech demos of any kind is enjoyable!!!

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Shimrod - 13 March 2014 10:13 AM
Monolith - 12 March 2014 04:08 AM

Could you please post any link to this ? Smile

Enjoy!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

Thanks for your replies.  Smile Should I add a little bump to Android version request ?

Monolith : thanks for the links. I already knew the guy from its CryEngine conversion, but didn’t know about the others videos.  Wink

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2008-08-15

PM

If you want to see more of the projection mapping in action, take a look at this:

The video shows what we have worked on in the last weeks and provides a first impression of the game. Feel free to give us feedback on it!

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

JTheysen - 30 April 2014 12:42 PM

If you want to see more of the projection mapping in action, take a look at this:

The video shows what we have worked on in the last weeks and provides a first impression of the game. Feel free to give us feedback on it!

Awesome work, and characters animation feels very natural.  Cool

Thanks for these “behind the scenes”.  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top