• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harvester released on Gog.com

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Harvester was released today on gog.com

http://www.gog.com/news/release_harvester

Overview:
“People are strange when you’re a stranger.” - Jim Morrison, The Doors.

Welcome to Harvest. It’s a quiet little town with eccentric locals and traditional family values. Life moves at a slower pace in quiet Harvest without the hustle and bustle like you’d get in the big city. Don’t forget to attend the annual PTA Bake Sale and keep in mind that the blood drive is mandatory.

Harvester is one of the most controversial horror games of its time with a classic point-and-click interface and tons of interesting puzzles. You’ll play as the amnesiac Steve (who is such a kidder!) as you try to figure out why you should join the Order of the Harvest Moon and discover the horror that lurks just beneath Harvest’s small-town veneer. Meet some of the strangest characters to ever grace the computer screen—such as Mr. Pottsdam who really, really loves red meat or Colonel Monroe who guards the nuclear missile base and holds The Button. Harvest is a lovely town and the locals aim to keep it that way, no matter the cost…

Pretty cool release, I’ve heard much about the game here and saw parts of it (probably the most gory) but never actually played. TIme to finally give it a try. Is it worth of the hype?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Sweet. The game was refused classification in Australia and I’ve only heard about it in recent years. I look forward to finally seeing what it’s all about.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Woa, I recall this game from way back when.

It is VERY creepy and has some gore and violence in it.

Worth a play since it’s cheap.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 06 March 2014 06:11 PM

Pretty cool release, I’ve heard much about the game here and saw parts of it (probably the most gory) but never actually played. TIme to finally give it a try. Is it worth of the hype?

I made this thread not too long ago

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2746/

Its not just gory, its borderline insane and controversial themes megamix.

If you have taste for B movie then go for it.

Some complained about the writing and VA, i found it very fitting, suits the
tone they wanted to set overall.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Is it possible to get a decent review? The GOG reviews are basically repeated “ooooooh this game is so disturbing! 5/5”.

I saw some mention of a combat system - is that a big issue?
Is there pixel hunting? Unexpected deaths? Limited save slots? Dead ends? Mazes? Lousy control scheme? Any other red flag?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Harvester cultivates b-movie cliche, trying to tie them with Lynchian world and its humour relies a lot of trying to offend people as hard as it cans. A lot about liking the game depends on if you think the game succeeds in this or not. Personally I didn’t think it did that good job. It has some good jokes though, it’s not all horribly failed, it just backfires more often than not.

As FMV game it is above average what you got during the 90’s. The acting quality and FMV is pretty decent and the p&c gameplay works just as well you’d expect it to work. The final chapter after you enter the lodge does ruin the game quite a bit for me, at it ceases to be a p&c game there, which wouldn’t be much of an issues if not if it wouldn’t turn into a poorly done beat’em up game.

Overall, I’d say on my generous day I’d give it 3/5. Normally 2/5.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I rented (it was too expensive to buy 2+ CDs games back then) this game with a couple of friends when I was 11. We played through it in a few days and didn’t find it disturbing or scary at all, it was more like a badly written comedy. It was only mildly interesting, because there were some gory scenes you would hardly find in games then, aside from Mortal Kombat, but disturbing - no way.

Sanitarium was disturbing, this was like a bad Hollywood B movie.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

A Bad Hollywood B movie is the perfect description of this game.

Sometimes “Bad” can actually be good in a funny way. This game is the “Plan 9 From Outer Space” of adventure games.

I say worth $5.99 if you are into these kind of games.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

holy crap another lost gem that looks right up my alley. how are the puzzles?

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

As Mikekelly just said: a really “bad” B movie. But it is funny and worth the 6 bucks to spend in a sunday afternoon.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

RockNFknRoll - 09 March 2014 07:04 PM

holy crap another lost gem that looks right up my alley. how are the puzzles?

The puzzles are mostly inventory based. Fairly simple - most veterian adventure gamers won’t have trouble with the puzzles in the game.

Heart

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-08-09

PM

I was one of those folks who was eagerly anticipating “Harvester” when it was originally previewed in the premiere issue of PC gamer way back when.  They talked about it like it was some tightly-woven mystery set in the present.  A real adult game!

I literally used to dream about the game and all its possibilities.  As a Twin Peaks fan and a fan of all stories involving amnesia, I was ready to call it the greatest game ever even before playing it.

The game ended up being a hot mess.  It was strictly amateur hour, but it did manage to be disturbing by throwing all kinds of things (necrophilia, child molestation, gay firemen) into the mix.  Yet I couldn’t stop playing it.  I stayed up nights just to see what would happen next.

When I finished it at the time, I thought it a waste that delivered on none of its initial promises.  But you know what?  All these years later I still remember it like it was yesterday.  But would I play it again?  Hell no.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Tuco the rat - 17 March 2014 10:08 PM

I was one of those folks who was eagerly anticipating “Harvester” when it was originally previewed in the premiere issue of PC gamer way back when.  They talked about it like it was some tightly-woven mystery set in the present.  A real adult game!

I literally used to dream about the game and all its possibilities.  As a Twin Peaks fan and a fan of all stories involving amnesia, I was ready to call it the greatest game ever even before playing it.

The game ended up being a hot mess.  It was strictly amateur hour, but it did manage to be disturbing by throwing all kinds of things (necrophilia, child molestation, gay firemen) into the mix.  Yet I couldn’t stop playing it.  I stayed up nights just to see what would happen next.

When I finished it at the time, I thought it a waste that delivered on none of its initial promises.  But you know what?  All these years later I still remember it like it was yesterday.  But would I play it again?  Hell no.

Hah…at that exact same time period (August-September 1996) I was dreaming about the upcoming Super Mario 64. A good time period for fantasizing about games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top