• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why Gone Home is amoral

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Why is Gone Home Amoral?

Gone Home is the story of a nice but inexperienced girl, who gets converted by a militant lesbian into becoming a militant-feminist, the militant-lesbian is slowly alienating her from her family by introducing her to violent subculture music and clothing, they then hide smutty matresses all over the house where they mate and eventually she is able to get her completely in her control by faking her devotion for her and saying that they will both run away, she from the military and the young girl from her parents and for what? Did her parents beat or yell at her? No, she is now under the control of a woman who enjoys violence (punk and army) and who is several years older.

This is not romantic, this is a drama.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Those damn feminazis! They’re ruining everything! Burn them! Burn them all!

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

This is definitely going to go to good places.

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 March 2014 02:27 PM

Those damn feminazis! They’re ruining everything! Burn them! Burn them all!

Do you have any solid arguments? No, didn’t think so.

PS: Femicommunists would be a little bit more accurate.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well I wouldn’t say it’s amoral, I think it’s meant to be a paradigm of a self-destructing modern society that is (not so) slowly going to an inevitable doom.

It’s probably a metaphor that requires from players to form their own opinion and support or condemn such behavior.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

I don’t agree with what this post implies about the message in Gone Home, which I loved. It’s ultimately about a young woman who comes of age and learns to be herself. While she may have had a good, caring family, they never accepted who she really was. This was at the heart of her rebellion.

Anyway, I think this post inspired an interesting debate inside my own head: what if the slightly older militant lover had been a male?

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Bogi - 03 March 2014 02:55 PM

Well I wouldn’t say it’s amoral, I think it’s meant to be a paradigm of a self-destructing modern society that is (not so) slowly going to an inevitable doom.

It’s probably a metaphor that requires from players to form their own opinion and support or condemn such behavior.

I wouldn’t necessarily call your interpretation amoral, since it is not too different from my interpretation. What is amoral is calling this story a romance, when it is clearly much too dark for that.

Calling an abusive relationship romantic, or killing a man because you need his money heroic, is amoral. But describing those actions for what they are is not amoral.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Peter254 - 03 March 2014 03:01 PM

Anyway, I think this post inspired an interesting debate inside my own head: what if the slightly older militant lover had been a male?

Excellent question!

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Peter254 - 03 March 2014 03:01 PM

I don’t agree with what this post implies about the message in Gone Home, which I loved. It’s ultimately about a young woman who comes of age and learns to be herself. While she may have had a good, caring family, they never accepted who she really was. This was at the heart of her rebellion.

1. But she is not becoming herself, she is being guided by a much stronger and dominant other into becoming something and even if that where not the case, even if she choose her faith alone, then it would still be tragic since she left her family and went out with someone else when she was still very young.

2. Even if your family does not accept who you are, this is no reason to abandon them and go out with someone who wants to dictate how you should life. Would her lesbian lover accept her is she did not become a riotgirl punk?

3. The story would be the same if the lover where a male, in fact if it was a male, the situation would be even worse, can you imagine an militant young man, introducing her to anarchism, for example and using his body stenght to dominate her.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What was abusive about the relationship?!?!?

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Since when did violence come into it? Been a while since I played it but I can’t remember any of that stuff. You sound like you’re against gay people tbh…

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

oneissuelogin - 03 March 2014 02:06 PM

Why is Gone Home Amoral?

Gone Home is the story of a nice but inexperienced girl, who gets converted by a militant lesbian into becoming a militant-feminist, the militant-lesbian is slowly alienating her from her family by introducing her to violent subculture music and clothing, they then hide smutty matresses all over the house where they mate and eventually she is able to get her completely in her control by faking her devotion for her and saying that they will both run away, she from the military and the young girl from her parents and for what? Did her parents beat or yell at her? No, she is now under the control of a woman who enjoys violence (punk and army) and who is several years older.

Hi oneissuelogin, I find your post so strange! I haven’t played the game but like the look of the graphics and the description of it in various mostly positive reviews that omit the content you’ve just mentioned. I don’t see any sign of you being offended in your post - it just seems to be a matter-of-fact description.

Most AGs are amoral in that you steal, sneak occasionally kill etc so you’re either not very used to them, extremely homophobic or you are involved in the development of the game - whatever, I’m sure more people will buy it now!  Laughing

EDIT: I’ve just seen your last post - wherever you’re coming from it sounds like a game that reflects similar situations that do happen which are either written about or the events made into films - why not Adventure Games. the only thing is that if it is a subject that causes offence there is no indication in any reviews that I’ve seen so far.

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

wilco - 03 March 2014 03:21 PM

What was abusive about the relationship?!?!?

Well a much older woman, with a fascination with violence, takes a young girl, introduces her into a violent punk movement, alienates her from her parents and then talks her into leaving her parents with the intent of severing her from her parents and destroying the future she would have had if she staid in school and got an education.

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

aaroncarney - 03 March 2014 03:22 PM

Since when did violence come into it? Been a while since I played it but I can’t remember any of that stuff. You sound like you’re against gay people tbh…

1. Yes, I am against the gay movement. I think it is designed to make people of a different gender orientation appear negative in the eyes of society.

2. The militant-lesbian is clearly violent, that is why she is able to be part of a violent punk movement and at the same time join the army. Her fascination with both roles is violence and militancy.

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

chrissie - 03 March 2014 03:23 PM
oneissuelogin - 03 March 2014 02:06 PM

Why is Gone Home Amoral?

Hi oneissuelogin, I find your post so strange! I haven’t played the game but like the look of the graphics and the description of it in various mostly positive reviews that omit the content you’ve just mentioned. I don’t see any sign of you being offended in your post - it just seems to be a matter-of-fact description.

Most AGs are amoral in that you steal, sneak occasionally kill etc so you’re either not very used to them, extremely homophobic or you are involved in the development of the game - whatever, I’m sure more people will buy it now!  Laughing

What I find amoral is the way the game is being described by people that play it. If someone said that the game was a horrible tragedy of a young girl becoming a pawn of another and abandoning her family, because of this lover - I would not have called the game amoral.

But because people think it is a romantic lovestory, I call it amoral. I am sure most people that play the Thief or GTA-series, don’t pretend they are comedies, if they did, they would be amoral.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Punk rock, feminism and joining the army are not inherently violent things. Stop using that word OP because you do not understand what it means.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top