• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Fingerbones: a psychological horror game

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

My name is David Szymanski, and I’ve just released a short little psychological horror adventure game called ‘Fingerbones,’ inspired by Agustin Cordes’ ‘Scratches’ and Benjamin Rivers’ ‘Home.’  It runs on the Unity engine, and has extremely low system requirements.  It is free, and is only around 30 mbs.

‘Fingerbones’ is my first adventure game, and it is extremely experimental, both for me and in general.  I’d be very grateful if you gave it a try.

The game can be downloaded here:

http://videogamepotpourri.blogspot.com/2014/03/fingerbones-psychological-horror-game.html

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Oh, by the way… I’m new here.  Is it possible to add a game to the catalog as a regular user?

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

If anyone is interested, the game is now on GameJolt

http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/fingerbones/24118/

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’ll look into it. Thanks!

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

To answer your question, games can only be added to the database by site staff.

Looking at covering Fingerbones for the March Following Freeware, so the game will get added to the database before that goes up. I shall try to remember to post an alert here when that happens.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

stepurhan - 30 March 2014 02:22 PM

To answer your question, games can only be added to the database by site staff.

Looking at covering Fingerbones for the March Following Freeware, so the game will get added to the database before that goes up. I shall try to remember to post an alert here when that happens.

Ooh, awesome.  Thanks!

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nice little game. However, it seems to me that it is having trouble deciding whether it should be Scratches or Slenderman.

[Unfortunately, it also seems to have spawned great number of ‘let’s play’ youtube videos…the horror…the horror.]

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Dr.Bombay - 16 April 2014 06:01 PM

Nice little game. However, it seems to me that it is having trouble deciding whether it should be Scratches or Slenderman.

[Unfortunately, it also seems to have spawned great number of ‘let’s play’ youtube videos…the horror…the horror.]

Why is that bad?  Free publicity is a good thing, and just about the only thing I can afford.

Also, how is it trying to be Slender?

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

jefequeso - 16 April 2014 06:34 PM

Why is that bad?  Free publicity is a good thing, and just about the only thing I can afford.

Publicity of course is not bad, what I cannot stand are the histrionic people doing the videos. That of course has nothing to do with the game itself or its author, just a pet peeve on mine.

Now, about the ‘Slender’ part: As you are the author of the game, I do not want to be hard on your creation; take it only as an observation of a horror game enthusiast.

Slender and Scratches represent two types of horror games.

In Scratches (and similar games), what is scary is the terrible mystery that is gradually uncovered. It is an intelectual, ‘meditative’ horror.

In Slender (and similar games), the scare is emotional; annoying (“scary”) noises, flashing lights. You are constantly harrased so that you do not have time to think.

It seems to me that Fingerbones straddles the fence between these two, to its detriment: The story is (or could be) clearly meditative, yet it never allows me time to think about it as it always breaks the mood with unexpected screams etc. Of course, I played it only once so far, so I might be a wrong a bit; yet that was my first impression.

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

Dr.Bombay - 17 April 2014 06:28 AM
jefequeso - 16 April 2014 06:34 PM

Publicity of course is not bad, what I cannot stand are the histrionic people doing the videos. That of course has nothing to do with the game itself or its author, just a pet peeve on mine.

Now, about the ‘Slender’ part: As you are the author of the game, I do not want to be hard on your creation; take it only as an observation of a horror game enthusiast.

Slender and Scratches represent two types of horror games.

In Scratches (and similar games), what is scary is the terrible mystery that is gradually uncovered. It is an intelectual, ‘meditative’ horror.

In Slender (and similar games), the scare is emotional; annoying (“scary”) noises, flashing lights. You are constantly harrased so that you do not have time to think.

It seems to me that Fingerbones straddles the fence between these two, to its detriment: The story is (or could be) clearly meditative, yet it never allows me time to think about it as it always breaks the mood with unexpected screams etc. Of course, I played it only once so far, so I might be a wrong a bit; yet that was my first impression.

There’s only one intentional “jump scare” in Fingerbones.  Exactly the number of “jump scares” there are in Scratches, in fact (and the one in Scratches is actually a lot closer to the sort of jump scares seen in Slender, using a sudden musical sting to hammer its point home.  Something I’m very much against).  And it’s only in there to heighten the player’s own sense of terror, so that they are hopefully more emotionally vulnerable once the final reveal occurs.  I’m just surprised that anyone would compare Fingerbones with Slender, given that from the very beginning I was deliberately trying to sidestep the cheaper elements of most indie horror games—Slender included.  Also, interestingly, many people complained that the lack of a jump scare at the very end was extremely disappointing Tongue.

As far as LPs go, I’m not a particularly big fan of the typical indie horror LPs either.  I sometimes have them on in the background while I’m programming, just so I can see a lot of different games and consider how they do things (and see people’s reactions to them, both in the video and in the comments) without having to devote the time to playing them.  However, as I said, free publicity is free publicity.  I spent the last decade of my game design career in complete obscurity, so I’m certainly not going to complain about people literally advertising my game for me.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-04-18

PM

Awesome game I loved the opening short of the game and its very well presented.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top