• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New VR Release - The revival of Point & Click?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-02-27

PM

Have you all seen this stuff?
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6523

Looks like a point & click adventure game, but done in VR! And instead of pointing with your mouse, the game is controlled by where you look, and interact.
It really seems like Virtual Reality might breathe new life into our beloved genre!
Could it be true?

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Wouldn’t the game have to be Point & Click? Its new territory for adventure games, but has nothing to do with PnC.

Especially since this is the least impressive Adventure VR currently on the market. Practically everything surrounding the new push in VR has a direct connection to Adventure games.

One of my favorite VR games out right now is a short adventure called ‘Asunder’.
http://aldindynamics.com/

Its not about the mechanics that makes a VR game, its how well you adapt an organic environment to the digital world of VR gaming. Essentially we will be losing the game aspect to provide a virtual “experience”. Point and Click is just an input device for a mouse or touch and not a genre as a whole.

Nonetheless, the game looks good. Its not a point and click at all, just a first person adventure.

Youre not the developer, are you?

EDIT: Okay, now I’m able to give an objective opinion on this piece. I was able to sit down and play it. Surprisingly, aside from basic graphics and and some graphic no-nos, I found the gameplay to be quite soothing. Its rare to find a game that feels so natural and enjoyable without feeling queasy for disgusting. Although its not a point and click game, it has many of the traditional adventure elements. You’ll find yourself interacting with a 3d version of a verb coin. Whatever the object is, will popup a cube displaying an icon for that specific verb.

You’ll also be looking down when your inventory is open to browse what you have.

So far, it has executed the basic adventure mechanics very well without seeming too distracting. Overall, its in-between an experience and general game mechanics. If they push it more toward making it a comfortable experience instead of trying hard to mimic PnC mechanics, it could become a spectacular experience. Nice job.

Everything felt to scale too which is a problem for some folks.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

This was great! Thanks for posting.
I never thought classic adventure interface would work for VR, but it does. It’s actually very intuitive and nice to look at. Very relaxing demo as well.

Early experiments for sure, but very promising. Experiences like Asunder, The Exploration School (interesting, but still a bit too rough around the edges) and impressive environmental demos like Red Frame and Blocked In, really prove that “slower is better” in VR. At least usually. Hydra Cover Shooter still gave me one of the strongest “being there” feeling, despite being quite intensive (and I don’t like action games) Smile

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Igor - 28 February 2014 03:56 AM

Hydra Cover Shooter still gave me one of the strongest “being there” feeling, despite being quite intensive (and I don’t like action games) Smile

Man that demo would be so much better with a faster refresh rate and higher resolution screen. Use the Hydra as both gun and positional tracking was genius. I can’t wait for the new STEM system.

Oh and check out this baby. http://www.roadtovr.com/spirited-away-oculus-rift-demo-download/ Grin

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-02-28

PM

Hey all, I’m actually the developer for the Technobabylon VR demo. Thanks for posting this, and all of the kind words so far!

Monolith - 28 February 2014 03:05 AM

Especially since this is the least impressive Adventure VR currently on the market.

May I ask why you would say that? Allthough, it was more of a lesson for myself and is a very early build just to play with some ideas in VR. I’m always open to constructive criticism - I just want to make the best adventure experience for everyone!

Monolith - 28 February 2014 03:05 AM

Okay, now I’m able to give an objective opinion on this piece. I was able to sit down and play it. Surprisingly,...I found the gameplay to be quite soothing. Its rare to find a game that feels so natural and enjoyable without feeling queasy or disgusting.

Well, glad to see you changed your opinion a bit after playing it? Thanks for the feedback!
And yes, you are correct - it’s not a point & click game really (although I AM doing toying with that idea in VR as well!) as this uses verb-coin mechanics via gaze-detection.
Just wait until you guys see some of the other stuff I have cookin’ up..
VR is going to be very exciting for the Adventure genre as a whole, especially if I have anything to say about it! Smile

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

It’s cool how we often have game developers showing up here and joining in the conversations.

How do they hear about these threads anyway?

Edit: Ha ... I just noticed that the OP has only 1 post and registered to make it.  That may be how.  Yum

(Not that I would blame anyone for getting the word out about their game.  Particularly when it’s something as interesting as this)

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-02-27

PM

Well you’re pointing with your head and clicking, is all I meant.. but ok sorry it’s not a point and click game after all! sorry about the mix up everybody
awesome looking adventure though!

Detective Mosely - 28 February 2014 11:43 AM

It’s cool how we often have game developers showing up here and joining in the conversations.

and actually i know coda from over at the oculus forums & mentioned to him that i was posting something here - but.. speculate on, good sir!

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Monolith - 28 February 2014 11:04 AM

Oh and check out this baby. http://www.roadtovr.com/spirited-away-oculus-rift-demo-download/ Grin

Just saw it, can’t wait to try it out Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I was on vacation in LA and I tried out the PS4 with a Sony VR headset at the Sony store and IT WAS AMAZING.

I played Killzone on it and it was a riot. Now - how this or any other VR system would work for an adventure game - could be interesting…...

For FPS shooters they rule.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Mikekelly - 28 February 2014 05:38 PM

I was on vacation in LA and I tried out the PS4 with a Sony VR headset at the Sony store and IT WAS AMAZING.

I played Killzone on it and it was a riot. Now - how this or any other VR system would work for an adventure game - could be interesting…...

Heart

Wait, you mean hmz-t3? If you already like that one, you’ll gonna LOVE Oculus Smile
Hmz series is more of a 3d viewer than a true VR. It’s quite a big difference, you’ll see.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Igor - 01 March 2014 02:43 AM

Wait, you mean hmz-t3? If you already like that one, you’ll gonna LOVE Oculus Smile
Hmz series is more of a 3d viewer than a true VR. It’s quite a big difference, you’ll see.

Hilariously true, so far the Oculus is the only HMD that offers the largest Field of View. Although still giving you the feeling of wearing a mask, it is easier to get lost in a VR world with the Rift over any other Device (I haven’t tried the Valve Prototype yet, so I will reserve a bit of criticism for them for later).

Coda_Frost - 28 February 2014 11:16 AM

Just wait until you guys see some of the other stuff I have cookin’ up..
VR is going to be very exciting for the Adventure genre as a whole, especially if I have anything to say about it! Smile

Absolutely. Can’t wait to see what comes next. How big is your team right now? Or are you currently a one man army?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-02-28

PM

Mikekelly - 28 February 2014 05:38 PM

Heart

We need to clear up this misconception quickly. The Sony HMZ units are NOT Virtual Reality - it’s just a Head-Mounted-Display. ‘Virtual Reality’ allows you to feel as if you are inside the game with 3D stereoscopics and low-latency head/positional tracking (at the bare minimum). Head on over to oculusvr.com for more info on that, if interested.

Monolith - 01 March 2014 03:51 AM

Absolutely. Can’t wait to see what comes next. How big is your team right now? Or are you currently a one man army?

One Man Army (for now), not bad for my first attempt at making a game, I hope?

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Coda_Frost - 01 March 2014 10:04 AM
Monolith - 01 March 2014 03:51 AM

One Man Army (for now), not bad for my first attempt at making a game, I hope?

Okay, I’ll give you a bit less crap. Smile I know the feels. Now I have a 10 person team working for me and it helps a lot. Go start a kickstarter with a couple of capable artists, modelers, composer, and writer. (I assume you’re a programmer, else you would have gotten that far. lol)

I’d fund it because it brings some of the adventure gaming recognizable traits to a virtual environment, and work well. Plus, I can’t say I hate the story. Its quite interesting and I’m a huge Cyberpunk fan.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Surely VR is going to change a lot of interface paradigms and I doubt it’ll lead to a revival in anything too traditional, but I do think VR is going to lead to an increased interest in more contemplative games where players can set their own pace. When you have that sense of presence, things like exploration and examination become a lot more compelling, whre cruising through a level and destroying everything seems less necessary. But also cinematic storytelling makes less sense. So we’ll see adventure-like stuff, but it might be more like Gone Home than a traditional adventure.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Frogacuda - 01 March 2014 05:57 PM

Surely VR is going to change a lot of interface paradigms and I doubt it’ll lead to a revival in anything too traditional, but I do think VR is going to lead to an increased interest in more contemplative games where players can set their own pace. When you have that sense of presence, things like exploration and examination become a lot more compelling, whre cruising through a level and destroying everything seems less necessary. But also cinematic storytelling makes less sense. So we’ll see adventure-like stuff, but it might be more like Gone Home than a traditional adventure.

I think with the story mechanics of Half-Life 2 and Gone Home/Dear Esther, we could find a happy medium between cinematic without taking control away from the player while still offering an entertaining experience without boring the player to death.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

What revival, we dont even know the consumer base of VR yet.
First VR has to get hit and in great number then PnC alternative can
get chunk of it.

This year Valve VR vs oculus vs Sony VR, lets see how things will go.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top