• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

10 Adventure Game Design Rules

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-07-30

PM

Hi everyone,

in our latest Kickstarter update we posted our 10 Game Design Rules. We’d be interested to know if you agree with them or would add/subtract any. What’s your opinion?

1. Clear objectives: The player has to know at all times what his or her objectives are. Puzzles can be hard, twisted and disguised. But the objectives have to be clear.
2. Multiple objectives: Give the player more than one thing to do at the same time. Avoid linearity. If the player has 2, 3 or 4 things (not more than that) to do all the time he or she stays engaged and the threat of blockers is reduced.
3. Start small and expand: When you start a chapter there should initially be only a few locations and characters. Then expand. New locations and new characters are a reward and important to give the player a sense of progress. Don’t waste that!
4. Flow is everything: Keep the story moving. Every solved puzzle leads to a new one. Every answered question leads to new, more urgent questions. If something seems to block the flow: Remove it.
5. All is one: Story, puzzles, jokes, art, music… everything has to work hand in hand. They are not separate disciplines. Everything can affect the story and the story influences everything.
6. Less is better: Perfection is achieved when there is nothing left to take away. Something is boring: Scrap it. Something isn’t as funny or emotional as it should be? Make it better or discard it and do something new.
7. Beginning & End: No part of the game will be played by as many people as the beginning. It better be good. But the showdown is the last thing real fans are going to see of the game. Make it as exciting, emotional and pleasing as possible.
8. Make it for the ages: Ten years from now the game should be as good and funny as today. So don’t include the flavor of the week.
9. Make it a game to remember: Nobody remembers cheap laughs or thrills. People remember characters, emotions and a good story. Don’t sacrifice them for an easy fix.
10. Have fun: Have fun making the game. It shows.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I saw those in the Kickstarter update and I agree with those rules (though I’m sure you can find some great games that break them). They largely echo Ron Gilbert’s Rules of Thumb from a quarter of a century ago, but they’re still worth stating.

I have a particular fondness for rule #3. I hate games that dump me in the middle of some gigantic location filled with puzzles upon puzzles, which I know I’m going to have to spend hours exploring before I’m able to really do anything, with a constant fear of inadvertently solving a puzzle that I don’t know about yet because I haven’t been to the right location (DOTT, Discworld 1, act 2 of GF, LSL7, etc. are particularly guilty of that).

I much prefer an ever-expanding gameworld, with new areas unlocked as puzzles are solved and the story progresses; Beneath a Steel Sky might be the best game I’ve ever played in that respect.

So yeah, I like those rules. Obviously principles are one thing and execution in another, but starting from good principles is always a good thing.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Great list of rules ,but nothing is absolute ,lets just start with the 1st rule ,to know the objective can be a puzzle itself ,so when I know ,I can deal with the surroundings differently ,and create to myself sub categorized objectives .But the goal must remain easily recognized ,if I plan to escape a space ship ,the more I know about it the more I can figure out if I am gonna have to fix my broken pod or look for another working ,or will I need to fix that receiver and send an SOS msg ,and I wont be mad if one of my sub-objectives turned out to be wrong ,but the last thing I need is the hero to tell me ‘we don’t need to do this’ ‘I cant leave now’ ,its not bad all to get tricked by the design if it misled me especially ,but as long as Rules#3 in running along.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great list! Everything is spot on, but let me just comment on certain exceptions I see with each of the rule:

1. Clear objectives:

I’ll agree with Advie that knowing what to do might be a puzzle in itself, or that “not-knowing for sure” what to do can too have its advantages with a little touches of a more “open exploration”, guessing and thinking about the gameworld.

2. Multiple objectives:

I’ll mostly agree with that, but I’ll add that those multiple tasks must be connected to the main story, and not just optional. I don’t care for achievements. But if I have to do 5 things instead of 1 that are pushing me forward and deeper in the game - I’m all for it!

3. Start small and expand:

That would probably work best in most cases, but I also appreciate games that do not “care” if they’ll scare the players by putting their cards on the table right away - Monkey Island series: “Here’s an island. Do what you wish with it”, right at the beginning.

But I 100% agree with “rewarding the player”. Just a simple cutscene is sometimes enough as a reward or acknowledgement I made the right move.

4. Flow is everything:

Yes, but don’t overdo it, I’ll say. I didn’t play The Night of the Rabbit, but a friend of mine who wrote the review of it wrote this: “Puzzles are good, but they switch too fast - every solution of a problem, is at the same time the beginning of another one, and the player just doesn’t have time to, at least for a moment, enjoy the “victory”“.

5. All is one:

Nothing to add but: “When all are one and one is all, To be a rock and not to roll.” Tongue

6. Less is better:

(just kiddin’, just kiddin’ - sorry Jazz lovers!)

7. Beginning & End:

Definitely, and I’ll emphasize beginning even more than the end. The developer can BET that it’s the beginning each player who tries the game will see, and there’s the chance to hook them in and convince them. I’m not saying that a lame-looking intro cutscene or uninteresting first location means “bad game”, but perhaps I won’t get far than that to see that I’m wrong.

8. Make it for the ages:

Definitely a safe bet, but I also enjoy games that reflect specific pop culture era. Again, it’s probably best not to overdo it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Re Rule #3…
I don’t mind starting with large locations as long as I have an idea of what I’m supposed to do next.
But if you are supposed to solve puzzles in a certain order, you shouldn’t be able to access the puzzle too early. Otherwise it’s a bug. Wasn’t there some problem like that in Myst V—where you could inadvertantly skip a sizable chunk of the game by solving a puzzle too early?

I’d add a few things to the list—

Don’t repeat the same puzzles throughout the game. Clumsy drawing of symbols with the mouse (Myst V) and timed pattern matching to open locks (Dreamfall) are two examples. Consider that a player may not enjoy that type of puzzle, and being forced to repeat that puzzle type 10 times isn’t going to change their mind.

Consider alternate solutions to dexterity-dependent puzzles. Some gamers play adventures when they can’t play anything else—for example if they have their arm in a cast due to a broken wrist—a right-handed person trying to play with their left hand, or vice versa, just isn’t going to have much dexterity. So dexterity-dependent puzzles may essentially be dead ends if there is no alternate solution.

And of course, test enough to get rid of as many bugs as possible. Test on a wide variety of computer configurations and, if possible, use beta testers who use a variety of playing strategies.

It would also be helpful if the readme would state the driver versions a game was tested with, since the “latest” drivers at the time of testing aren’t likely to be the drivers the player is using months or years after the game went through testing—and playing “driver roulette” with older drivers to find one that works is no one’s idea of fun.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

Good rules, however I’m not totally against linearity in adventures. As long as it benefits the flow of the story it can work quite well.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

diego - 27 February 2014 11:46 AM

3. Start small and expand:

That would probably work best in most cases, but I also appreciate games that do not “care” if they’ll scare the players by putting their cards on the table right away - Monkey Island series: “Here’s an island. Do what you wish with it”, right at the beginning.

At the same time, TSOMI has perhaps one of the best examples of following this rule right at the very beginning. Your first puzzle (which also adheres to rule #1) is just “go talk to the pirate captains in the SCUMM bar”, and you literally cannot go anywhere else until you’ve talked to them and they’ve introduced you to the three trials. The game world opens up very smoothly and gradually from there, especially since first-time players are almost certainly going to have a look around the town before they even think about exploring the interior of the island.

In contrast, lack of structure and “too much to explore at a time” is one of the things I think weighs down MI2 so that it’s not quite at the level of the first one.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

after a brisk nap - 27 February 2014 12:23 PM

At the same time, TSOMI has perhaps one of the best examples of following this rule right at the very beginning.

I agree, but rule #3 talks about locations and characters, not the puzzles. In Monkey Island 1, you can spend days just going around the island, talking to different characters until you get to “The Three Trials” quest. By then, you would already be acquainted with the gameworld and its inhabitants.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

No, I’m pretty sure you can’t. As I recall it, you can neither enter the town nor go back up the cliff past the lookout until you’ve talked to the captains in the SCUMM bar. Guybrush will just remind you what he’s supposed to be doing and turn back. So you start off the game with a clear long-term goal (become a pirate), a clear short-term objective (talk to the pirate leaders), and a small, constrained area to explore, with a limited number of characters. That seems to me like a perfect example of rule #1 and #3 in action.

Once you’ve been GIVEN the quests you can choose not to solve them and just explore the island (though several areas are barred until you solve various puzzles), but because TSOMI is so good at providing objectives and doling out plot tokens at a steady rate (rule #4; examples are things like learning about LeChuck from the pirates in the SCUMM bar as you’re looking for the leaders, talking to the voodoo woman, running into Fester Shinetop and then Elaine), and because the game world is broken up into different regions that you can explore one at a time and each of which aren’t too daunting, I don’t think it ever feels like you’re just cast adrift into some huge world you have to go discover before you can achieve anything.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

crabapple - 27 February 2014 11:58 AM

I’d add a few things to the list—

Don’t repeat the same puzzles throughout the game. Clumsy drawing of symbols with the mouse (Myst V) and timed pattern matching to open locks (Dreamfall) are two examples. Consider that a player may not enjoy that type of puzzle, and being forced to repeat that puzzle type 10 times isn’t going to change their mind.

I completely agree with that one! There’s nothing worse than playing a game where the developer has got a ‘bee in their bonnet’ about what they see as a fantastic puzzle that they repeat too much!. A couple of exceptions for me include the deduction boards in Sherlock Holmes & the grid puzzles in To the Moon as they seem so integral to the game.

crabapple - 27 February 2014 11:58 AM

Consider alternate solutions to dexterity-dependent puzzles. Some gamers play adventures when they can’t play anything else—for example if they have their arm in a cast due to a broken wrist—a right-handed person trying to play with their left hand, or vice versa, just isn’t going to have much dexterity. So dexterity-dependent puzzles may essentially be dead ends if there is no alternate solution.

Yes, it’s just going to upset the flow of a game for a player. Also please think about including extra (optional?) clues for players who are colour blind or have some hearing loss/are tone deaf in the case of puzzles that require the use of those senses.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

after a brisk nap - 27 February 2014 01:59 PM

No, I’m pretty sure you can’t.

You’re probably mistaking TSOMI with some other game. I don’t know about the special edition, but I’ve just tested the original and you can freely go around the island or turn back past the lookout before entering the Scummbar.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 27 February 2014 11:46 AM

(just kiddin’, just kiddin’ - sorry Jazz lovers!)

Ha! very funny & cruel but fair diego! - but you didn’t apologise to the rockers who some of them I know can play even 4 or 5+ chords!  I love rock music but there really is nothing nicer than listening to a live jazz band on a lazy Sunday lunchtime with a few beers! (Unfortunately I haven’t got to do that for years!)

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2005-06-14

PM

The idea of rewarding the player always struck a chord with me. I like to be acknowledged for being on the right lines, even if it’s just a piece of dialogue.

The objectives concept is also big for me. I recently played Gray Matter, enjoyed it, but I thought it lacked direction. There was often times when I wasn’t sure what I was meant to be doing, bar some vague percentage meters that could be accessed. I don’t need my hand held but a bit of signposting would have been welcome.

He gave me a cold, shocked stare as if I’d farted at a funeral.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Reminds me of the Bill of Player’s Rights from Graham Nelson’s The Craft of Adventure. They were written with text adventures in mind, but most of the guidelines could probably still be applied or adapted to graphical adventures.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Marco Rosenberg (KING Art Games) - 27 February 2014 09:55 AM

Hi everyone,

in our latest Kickstarter update we posted our 10 Game Design Rules. We’d be interested to know if you agree with them or would add/subtract any. What’s your opinion?

1. Clear objectives: The player has to know at all times what his or her objectives are. Puzzles can be hard, twisted and disguised. But the objectives have to be clear.

I want the objectives to be as over-arching as possible, and in no way steer me to the solution. I should know the point of the game, or the prime motivator of the protagonist. If something doesn’t work, I should know why it didn’t work. But the more specific and nitpicky the objectives are, the more you encroach on the fun of discovering the issues yourself.

2. Multiple objectives: Give the player more than one thing to do at the same time. Avoid linearity. If the player has 2, 3 or 4 things (not more than that) to do all the time he or she stays engaged and the threat of blockers is reduced.

Agreed. More is better.

I would add a rule here though, try not to rely on stale tropes for your puzzle design. Don’t make every game about “find the three pieces of the sacred object” or “complete the three fetch tasks to pass.” Try to make the things you are solving seem natural and compelling and not just formulaic.

3. Start small and expand: When you start a chapter there should initially be only a few locations and characters. Then expand. New locations and new characters are a reward and important to give the player a sense of progress. Don’t waste that!

I like this. It doesn’t have to be drawn out though. And don’t force the linearity in an unnatural way, by just arbitrarily restricting hotspots or locations that you can plainly see.

4. Flow is everything: Keep the story moving. Every solved puzzle leads to a new one. Every answered question leads to new, more urgent questions. If something seems to block the flow: Remove it.

I think small moments of respite and diversion can be a lot of fun and add to the engagement. There are some games where I want the character to be able to enjoy the moment for a second. It can always be optional content.

5. All is one: Story, puzzles, jokes, art, music… everything has to work hand in hand. They are not separate disciplines. Everything can affect the story and the story influences everything.

Agreed.

6. Less is better: Perfection is achieved when there is nothing left to take away. Something is boring: Scrap it. Something isn’t as funny or emotional as it should be? Make it better or discard it and do something new.

Generally true, but a lot of discarded scenes are often some of the coolest ones. I’d rather play a really cool scene with great puzzles even if it wasn’t critically needed for the story than not. I love The Dig, but I’m pretty sure I recall hearing of some deleted scenes that bummed me out.

7. Beginning & End: No part of the game will be played by as many people as the beginning. It better be good. But the showdown is the last thing real fans are going to see of the game. Make it as exciting, emotional and pleasing as possible.

Totally agree, especially for the beginning. When I really want to replay a game, it’s often the beginning of the game that I keep craving in my mind. Also don’t make the beginning immediately dark and panicked, a good exposition does a lot for the feel.

8. Make it for the ages: Ten years from now the game should be as good and funny as today. So don’t include the flavor of the week.

Sure

9. Make it a game to remember: Nobody remembers cheap laughs or thrills. People remember characters, emotions and a good story. Don’t sacrifice them for an easy fix.

This seems like a throwaway that could be incorporated into other rules.

How about this? Don’t over-narrate or explain. Playing a game is not like reading a book, or even watching a movie. The player wants to play, so make things move. Make narration and dialog concise and punchy. Don’t try too hard on the jokes, it becomes cringey. The humor of monkey island was mostly in your head, not directly in the text. The writing was extremely minimal. It was the things you did and the way everything looked that was funny. Long reading sections are exhausting and should be cut down to their barest essentials.

10. Have fun: Have fun making the game. It shows.

Agreed. And try to make it creative and original.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

11. Always remember to break every rule.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top