• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Most obscure adventure games?

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Hey guys. I making a web series called Adventures in Obscure Gaming

In it I’m going to be covering I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for obscure adventure games that most people haven’t played before that deserve a second look?

Here are a couple of ones I’m thinking of covering:

1. Rise of the Dragon
2. Commander Blood
3. Alien Logic
4. The Gateway series

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Nice idea! I’m not sure RotD or Gateway are very obscure, at least for seasoned adventurers but more people should definitely play them.

There are a few threads discussing this topic, you might find them useful:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1292/
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2553/

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Wow I wasn’t expecting a reply so fast! Thanks for the links. I browsed through them. I’m happy to see commander blood mentioned in both threads that’s definitely going to be a huge episode!

I’ll try to comb through the thread again tmrw. In the mean time is there a game you think deserves a second look for whatever reason?

I get what you are saying about Gateway and RoFD but I think the goal the series is going to be to get people who are not into obscure games to take a look at some of these games and for those people they probably haven’t heard of any of those.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I take it you’re a myst hater. Embarassed  Frown

I don’t know how many adventures you played but I was kind of surprised to hear you say that LucasArts and Sierr absolutely dominated adventure gaming in the nineties. If you played adventure games back then it probably seemde the only companies making adventure games were LucasArts and Sierra.

If all adventures other than the Mystian ones plus the LucasArts/Sierra games are obscure in your opinion (of course I don’t know if that’s true) then I recommend looking at this site.

http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/index.php

I played Igor a very long time ago and I don’t remember much about it, except that I liked it in those days. I’m not sure I would today. Looking forward to your next episode. Forgive me for saying this, but hopefully without the music. It was such a relief when it stopped during your Weekly Rumble.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Rise of the Dragon was a very popular title on the Amiga computer. Everyone I know that had an Amiga had purchased this game - it was very good in it’s day.

I would not include it on any obscure game websites.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Hey Karlok, haha I don’t hate Myst. I just needed a graphic for that section of the video! Thanks for watching the video.

And thanks for the link! It will be a great help. It reminded me I’ll probably cover this game as well.

Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick

Anyway I understand all these comments about RoFD being not obscure but keep in mind most people in the general public definitely have never heard of it.

The goal is to get those people interested in these obscure games because people like us will always be there for those games. Whether you agree or disagree that Sierra and Lucasarts and Myst were adventure games in the 90s. It’s definitely true for most people that their first exposure to adventure games were probably from one of those three sources. Myself include. So I started the video off with those things and segwayed into my obscure title by tying it into those popular things.

For the first episode I think the story is even though sierra came out with so many games and lucasarts came out with many blockbusters and were the rabbits at the time. The slow hare that was Pendulo studios won out in the end.

Again I would love it if anyone here had any suggestions for a game they would want covered in this series. Hopefully a game that you yourself played and had fond memories of that isn’t popular like Igor for whatever reason!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I’d love to see Cosmology of Kyoto covered. It really is a fabulous adventure game, but even Roger Ebert’s surprisingly enthusiastic review couldn’t save it from obscurity.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

You need to get in contact with a user called Bastich….

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-09-05

PM

Some obscure and weird games from Playstation 1 that I can recall:

D:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zltU7oMpzwA
Juggernaut:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHWlFZaqEaI

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Who is Bastich?? :o

Steven28 I have played the infamous Cosmology of Kyoto and I don’t know if I will cover it because it is weirdly well known for that random fact that Roger Ebert gave it a good review. But I will revisited the game again sometime probably and think about it.

Solitude thanks for the links. I have heard of “D” but not the second game. I love ps1 stuff so I’ll have to do some research on it!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

dataSKS - 22 February 2014 02:55 PM

Again I would love it if anyone here had any suggestions for a game they would want covered in this series. Hopefully a game that you yourself played and had fond memories of that isn’t popular like Igor for whatever reason!

None of the games below are really obscure for dedicated adventure gamers, but your target group has probably never heard of them and they’re all very good games anyway.

The Last Express, Spycraft, Tex Murphy series, Gabriel Knight series, Journeyman Project series

Humorous: Duckman, UFOs, Toonstruck, Touche: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer, Zork Grand Inquisitor, Discworld Noir, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, The Neverhood

Horror: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, Amber: Journeys Beyond, The Dark Eye

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Want a game nobody has heard about? Try “Snow Job” on the 3DO. No one knows about that game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mikekelly - 22 February 2014 10:47 PM

Want a game nobody has heard about? Try “Snow Job” on the 3DO. No one knows about that game.

Heart

I remember someone posting in FMV thread or somehting, besides it was
heavily promnoted in Mags, was well known and D was even more popular.

PSX had many Obscure AG, one i mentioned earlier too is Kowloons Gate.

Mostly Jap games never made to west.

Also Suda51s Syndrome series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndrome_(video_game_series)

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

Thanks Karlok I totally forgot about Touche and UFOs looks promising. The animation looks very ren and stimpy influenced I wonder what the deal with that is. Nice man! Including Duckman that’s three games I will seriously consider making into an episode thanks to you.

Actually I take that back. I will definitely make Duckman into an episode. The link to Seinfeld makes it perfect for the series. Unfortunately Jason Alexander didn’t voice Duckman for the game Frown

Mikekelly and nomadsoul I’ve definitely never heard of any of those games mentioned. I want to try and focus on games that were released in English officially at some point on mainstream platforms but I did look at Snow Job and Syndrome.

I gave Syndrome a quick look it looks pretty tame for a Suda51 series but I just saw a quick gameplay video for about a couple of seconds I’m sure it’s weird in some way, there doesn’t seem to be a translation of the game though I’ll look at it more when I get a chance.

Snow Job on the other hand looks expectedly terrible.

Thanks for the suggestions! The one thing I can promise is I will look at all of them. If you take the time out to make a suggestion the least I can do is look at them. Plus I love obscure games and reading about them.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dataSKS - 22 February 2014 07:06 PM

Who is Bastich?? :o

Look here and be amazed. Wink

Karlok - 22 February 2014 07:20 AM

I don’t know how many adventures you played but I was kind of surprised to hear you say that LucasArts and Sierr absolutely dominated adventure gaming in the nineties. If you played adventure games back then it probably seemde the only companies making adventure games were LucasArts and Sierra.

It’s not that weird a statement, imo. I played adventure games throughout the nineties, and I was well aware of Trilobyte, Cryo, Legend, Cyan, Adventure Soft, Access (now Big Finish) and the likes, and I agree with dataSKS that it STILL felt like LucasArts and Sierra dominated adventure gaming back then…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 24 February 2014 03:46 PM
Karlok - 22 February 2014 07:20 AM

It’s not that weird a statement, imo. I played adventure games throughout the nineties, and I was well aware of Trilobyte, Cryo, Legend, Cyan, Adventure Soft, Access (now Big Finish) and the likes, and I agree with dataSKS that it STILL felt like LucasArts and Sierra dominated adventure gaming back then…

I think that each “side” can make a case for itself (though Lucas/Sierra vs rest of the companies isn’t exactly a fair battle Tongue) - Top 20 in AG Top 100 for example, features “only 8” LA/Sierra games versus 12 from other companies. It’s a domination, yes, but perhaps not the “absolute domination”.

I started playing adventures in the second half of 90s, so I might not be the right person to judge, but it didn’t exactly feel like LA/Sierra domination, in the sense EA Sports dominated sport simulations for example. (and it’s easier to claim the “domination” from this perspective, as perhaps only Legend Entertainment can match LA/Sierra’s “quality along with quantity”.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top