• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Guardian on adventure gaming

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Nice to see the adventure gaming fever coming out of The Guardian ,talking briefly about Daedalic ,Ragnar Tørnquist ,Indies ,Double Fine and Telltale.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/09/gaming-adventure-games-revival-matt-kamen

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thanks for the link, Advie! Allways nice to see our genre getting more widestream exposure.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

That’s a pretty good summary. Nice to see the mainstream media being attuned to the adventure community. Thanks!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Edna & Harvey as the header image! Great choice! Grin

Edit:

Proving there is an audience for adventure games is Red Thread Games. Founded by Ragnar Tørnquist, it has produced the modern fantasies The Longest Journey and sequel Dreamfall.

That’s factually incorrect, of course. But I guess you can’t expect the mainstream press to do even the most basic research correctly when reporting about games. You can be glad if they talk about them with the right sentiment at all.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

ozzie - 12 February 2014 10:59 AM

Edna & Harvey as the header image! Great choice! Grin

Edit:

Proving there is an audience for adventure games is Red Thread Games. Founded by Ragnar Tørnquist, it has produced the modern fantasies The Longest Journey and sequel Dreamfall.

That’s factually incorrect, of course. But I guess you can’t expect the mainstream press to do even the most basic research correctly when reporting about games. You can be glad if they talk about them with the right sentiment at all.

I presume the Guardian’s corrected its article themselves in the meantime? What’s now there is:

Proving there is an audience for adventure games is Red Thread Games. Founded by Ragnar Tørnquist, writer/director of modern fantasies The Longest Journey and its sequel Dreamfall, the company was created to satiate fans.

So the Guardian was pretty quick to get their article correct, to be fair. Considering the factually incorrect reporting about football (not a minority theme in GB!) I regularly read on the BBC website, we can’t really complain about that article that much!

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Nice article. I thought it was actually pretty well written considering that it is a short newspaper piece.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/09/gaming-adventure-games-revival-matt-kamen

Thanks Advie for posting that link! It’s great to know that Adventure Games are getting some wider publicity & it is a very positive article!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

To me, the article misses a very important point: the trend in the mainstream is to make hybrids where the user might not even realize theyr playing an adventure game. Games like la noire, heavy rain, portal, that capture the spirit of playing an adventure, but steer clear from the classification. Telltale is the perfect example, they’ve pretty much abandoned the label of adventure, and move farther from the traditional genre with every release. The article calls telltale the “face of adventure”, when telltale themselves have ceased using the word adventure to describe their new games.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Well, whether the user realises it or not is hardly relevant. The point is that there is mainstream acceptance of the genre (and lets not go again into the discussion of whether LA Noire or Walking Dead is an adventure or not—we’ve debated this to death).

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^my point is, i think its a mistake to write about an adventure revival without pointing out that the genre is heavily evolving. Gems like daedalic are the outliers, and i think most of the mainstream success is coming from games that have complicated identities and arent billed by the publisher using the word adventure.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top