• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Gabe - 08 February 2014 05:17 AM
Antrax - 07 February 2014 11:50 PM

It takes 01:16.

What’s the meaning of this?

There is none. Some knucklehead’s one minute of fame.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The first RealMyst is my favorite version of the game, and fortunately it runs nicely on my older iMac.

I think the ending video would put that quick-playing idiot past the 2 minute mark at least.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I don’t understand the hostility. There are people out whose hobby is speed-running games. The time is measured from the first frame your controller input is registered to the end of the controller input stream.
I didn’t think it would be controversial, I just went with the earlier comment of “you can beat Myst in 2 minutes”, I thought it would be interesting to show it’s done.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Antrax—you don’t do it by speed-running the game. You do it by skipping nearly all of the game.

Let’s speed-run your birthday! We’ll just skip opening the presents altogether and go straight to the cake. That’ll save so much time!  Innocent

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m not sure why people are parading their narrow mindedness. The speedrunning community has 100% completion videos, glitch videos, videos where you’re not allowed to die, there’s a category for everything. I understand many of you weren’t aware that’s a thing, but how on earth are your offended replies justified?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Salar Shushan - 07 February 2014 09:51 PM

....You must be interrupting the speeches somehow, because my best time - back when I used to play Myst over and over and had all the grid info memorized (years ago now) - was around 5 minutes, but I did allow the speeches to play. Seemed rude not to listen Wink

I played the original Myst on PS many years ago & I don’t believe (unless proved otherwise & however familiar you are with game) that most full adventures can be played in 5 minutes! Even the far shorter games of later years can take an hour to whizz through!

Antrax - 09 February 2014 12:39 AM

I don’t understand the hostility. There are people out whose hobby is speed-running games.

Why? In my mind it’s got to rank as one of the most saddest & pointless waste of time - if it’s entertaining to anyone else it certainly is not for me - give me the ramblings of a train spotter instead!

Antrax - 09 February 2014 12:39 AM

I didn’t think it would be controversial, I just went with the earlier comment of “you can beat Myst in 2 minutes”, I thought it would be interesting to show it’s done.

Well, it wasn’t done, I don’t believe it can be done & why anyway??????

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

So you’re now criticizing what other people enjoy?

In any case, here’s the world record:
http://tasvideos.org/2235M.html
1 minute, 7 seconds on a DS.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Antrax - 09 February 2014 08:01 AM

So you’re now criticizing what other people enjoy?

In any case, here’s the world record:
http://tasvideos.org/2235M.html
1 minute, 7 seconds on a DS.

Well, you could keep it to yourself instead of inflicting agony on other unwary proper gamers! Cry

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Just to put more pepper in the stuff: I think that don’t going to all ages in Myst means you do not completed the game. So, it’s impossible to FINISH Myst in less than 2 minutes.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Its a think to beat Myst as quick as possible? And still be interesting? lol I’m loving this.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

Antrax: I sympthatise.. I stopped posting on this forum quite a while ago, because it’s filled with very ‘peculiar’ people..(and I’m really not the only one having noticed that.) So don’t waste your energy.. you did nothing wrong with your post and the hostility was indeed not justified nor according to this forums etiquette.

Wink

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Becky - 09 February 2014 07:06 AM

Antrax—you don’t do it by speed-running the game. You do it by skipping nearly all of the game.
  Innocent

^This^  The only reason I speed-played Myst was for fun after having played through every Age many, many times. I used Myst (and several other games) as a way to stave off winter blahs, like a desktop vacation to someplace sunny. After a few times through the game-verse I knew by heart, speeding to the end was just one more way to vary the routine, but I agree that it isn’t really playing it.

I appreciate Antrax sharing that video. (Thanks!) Now I see why even my speed runs took longer than what was technically possible. I prefer actually at least peeking at each locations and letting Atrus speak - and that’s one fast mouse inputting the grid code! LOL

Just to put more pepper in the stuff: I think that don’t going to all ages in Myst means you do not completed the game. So, it’s impossible to FINISH Myst in less than 2 minutes.

Correct. You couldn’t have learned anything about the story that way. You are skipping most of the locations and all their puzzles. You must have memorized the Grid in advance. It’s a less a real playing of the game than “how fast can I reach Atrus now that I know everything already?”

Mind you, I really liked Atrus, so that idea had its appeal back then. You could still play the rest of the game too, though you wouldn’t be collecting any pages. It’d been equally fun if rescuing Catherine early had been possible in Riven, and the rest of the game still available (nobody noticed) so that by the time you were listening to Gehn’s speeches you’d be grinning to yourself, since you’d only be there in hopes of tricking him into the trap book. Naughty Cool 

I tried ‘speed-running’ the actual whole game of original Myst & realMyst - but never got it under 3 hrs because in the original version I ALWAYS got lost in Channelwood. Never failed. In realMyst I always forgot about the speed-run thing at some point. I’d get lost staring at some fancy texturing in Rime that I’d not noticed before or chase butterflies… I know a lot of people really like full speed-runs, but I didn’t really care what my time was anyway. I wasn’t planning to post it anywhere. People (especially guys) got into speed-running all the games as a kind of early achievement/competitive thing, and I didn’t know anyone who wanted to race me in Myst. Even Cyan employees had speed-run competitions on their own games. RAWA told me once what his best time was for at least one of their games but I’ve long since forgotten which game(s) they did and what the times were. I do remember that one Cyan employee had a ‘short-run’ time (just to Atrus) that was slightly longer than mine ~ 5 1/2 minutes. Sorry to be so vague but these discussions were over a decade ago!

Basically, speed runs are only for those who know a game extremely well and are having fun with a favorite digital toy in a different way. Any other approach requires someone blindly memorizing a few codes to make a speed run video so I’m inclined to think this was a Myst fan. People rarely choose old classics to make a name for themselves. Wink

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Just FYI, there’s a schematic map of Channelwood in one of the books in the library.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Antrax - 10 February 2014 02:21 AM

Just FYI, there’s a schematic map of Channelwood in one of the books in the library.

I think you myssed the part (see what I did there? Wink Grin ) where I explained that I had played Myst - not just to death - Heart Eyes but right past that point into several afterlives. Innocent

Seriously, I played it enough times that I pretty much had that journal map burned into my brain. Didn’t help. Still lost track at some point in the original game. I suspected that some nodes didn’t represent all sides, messing with my sense of direction in a location where too many spots looked alike anyway. Sick  realMyst didn’t ‘lose’ me the same way, I just tended to lose track of all goals while drinking in the scenery. Cool

Notice the past tense. Just realized that its been a long while since I played any version of the original Myst game. I still remember it vividly only because I once played it so much. It used to give joy, but that was years ago. Part of this demotion has to do with later, less pleasant associations, but some of it is bound to be because I have so many games now. Back in the 90’s I had only a few.

Can’t help but wonder if the frog & other promised details were put back in newest version of Channelwood? There were supposed to be fogs, frogs, day/night views…

(I’m not curious enough or rich enough Money Mouth to pay that much for a game I already own in a variety of ways and don’t play anymore anyhow, but I am curious if they were ever able to work all that back in.)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

And to think that the game that brought to an end the golden age of the adventure genre could be finished in 86 seconds, it’s really sad…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top