• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Undefined

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Poll: How important is recorded voice acting to you?

Poll: How important is recorded voice acting to you?
Total Votes: 47
Very important - I won’t buy a game that doesn’t have it.
I like it but it doesn’t sway my decision to purchase.
It doesn’t matter to me at all.
I tend to not like it.
I hate it. I prefer to read the text myself.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2014-02-02

PM

Hi everyone!

Doing a little bit of research on adventure games, and I’m curious your opinions of voice acting… specifically whether it matters to you and how strongly you feel about it.

As a secondary question for those who do like voice acting - how do you feel about proper lip-synch animations? Does it break your immersion when the animations don’t line up?

For my own part I tend to like it (when done well), but I do get irritated sometimes when you click a dialogue choice and then have to hear it read back verbatim (especially when you can’t skip a line at a time).

Would love to hear all opinions!

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

I want to say it doesn’t matter. But the truth is, I’ve gotten pretty used to ‘talky’ adventure games since… Fate of Atlantis? I can’t think of a major adventure game I’ve played since that didn’t have spoken dialog.

So… while I want to say its not a deal breaker… it might actually be so.

As for lip sync… I don’t that matters as much.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I always turn on subtitles and usually skip ahead when I’m done reading what’s being said. If I can’t skip ahead, I get pissed off.
There are some exceptions: games that let you keep playing while the character is talking (Broken Age, Dear Esther), games that have exceptional voice acting (Primordia) and game that are very heavy on emotion (The Cat Lady).

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Antrax - 02 February 2014 11:53 PM

I always turn on subtitles and usually skip ahead when I’m done reading what’s being said. If I can’t skip ahead, I get pissed off.

I do this myself actually.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I don’t “need” voice acting in general but it is preferred for me.  Even a bad voice acting cast has the benefit of being funny and a really good voice acting cast can elevate a game’s script to a large degree.  Doesn’t have to be an all-star cast either, The Last Express has a bunch of relative no-name actors and actresses and in my opinion it’s the gold standard still for voice acting in a game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I prefer to have voice acting. I don’t want to say I wouldn’t buy a game without voice acting, but at this time and age there should be a good reason for omitting it.

And lipsyncing doesn’t really matter that much.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I went for very important but I do play games without voice acting a fair bit, however, how much I would pay for them is a different question!

Voice acting is very important for me, in that it can really raise a game from good to great. If we’re talking freeware then I can happily live without it but for commercial games it is pretty much a must for me as if I am paying I want something good and regardless, I want a game to be the best it can be and (opinion) that almost always involves voice acting. Many of the best games that stand out for me have brilliant voice acting performances.

Having said that, bad voice acting can be damaging and I would probably rather have no voice acting than really bad voice acting.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

I did just beat The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and while its not an Adventure Game (per-say). Its does have no voice acting. And that was perfectly okay!

So maybe voice acting isn’t as important as I think?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I voted for “I like it but it doesn’t sway my decision to purchase.”

I like games with voice acting, and I love games with good voice acting, but I’ve played plenty of games without it throughout the years (even after it was commonplace in games), and a lack of voices never bothered me.

In fact, I’ve played the floppy disk (non-talkie) version of Fate of Atlantis WAY more times than the CD (voiced) version. And that’s one of my all-time favourite games!

I also played my share of DS games and most of those have very limited voice acting at best (Layton games only had voiced cutscenes, Phoenix Wright only had a couple of key shout phrases like “Take that!”, “Hold it!” and “Objection!”, and most other games only had blips and bloops when characters were talking) - limited cartridge space does that.

I prefer it if the games DO have voice acting, of course, especially nowadays, but it’s not bad if they don’t.
Actually, no voice acting is better than bad voice acting, so quality talent is still needed (they don’t have to be established names, though, they just need to be good).

As for lip synching, I’ve never had poor lip synching be a problem or immersion-breaker for me. I know how hard it is to program a thing like that, so if it’s lacking a little, then meh.
I do want the mouths to move when things are being said, though. If the lips only start moving halfway through the sentence and continue for a few seconds after the sentence is finished (like in those old badly dubbed Hong Kong movies), then it’s a different matter.
Lips should move when they’re supposed to, they just don’t have to match the exact sounds that are uttered.

And yes, I prefer to be able to skip the dialogue as well. I usually don’t, unless the acting is particularly bad or if I’m hearing a line for the third/fourth/umpteenth time, but I do want the option to be there.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

You know, I think it just adds so much depth to a game, especially when done well. Even though I generally skip most spoken dialog - because it goes to slow, and I can read a lot faster… sometimes I just enjoy it.

I was going to say that it’s more important that a game have skippable text. But then I realized some of the best two adventures (Hotel Dusk + Last Window) have neither voice acting nor skippable text.

I guess if the game is good enough, it doesn’t matter!

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It matters a lot. I voted for the first option although I do buy games without so it’s not really true, but it really is pretty important. It just immediately makes a game more immersive.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I voted for “Very Important”.

I do occasional buy games without voice acting, but this is really the exception, and it has a big influence on the decision of buying a game or not. I am of course more tolerant about freeware games without voice acting, but when it comes to commercial games then I can’t really see any reason for text only.

Lib-syncing doesn’t matter to me at all, and skippable dialogue is not a big issue either, I really only use it if I have already heard the same lines before, or if I get extremely impatient because of some long winded monologue.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Voiceacting is very important, it can make or break a game. Day of the Tentacle with its marvelous voiceacting is so much better than the original version. But voices (or even text!) are not necessary. Last year I replayed the great little game Botanicula and played The Journey of a Roach, Lilly Looking Through, Gone Home, and Kentucky Route Zero. Enjoyed all of them. The only voice in Gone Home was essential for me though, and I didn’t want to turn it off, like others did. The lack of voices in Kentucky Route Zero didn’t bother me at all.

But I don’t know how to vote.  Foot in mouth Somewhere between options 1 and 2.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I voted for the second option.  I like voice acting but have played some wonderful games that don’t have it.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It really depends on the game. Monkey Island 1 and 2 were made without voice acting in mind. Adding voices in the remakes felt like unnecessary thing to me. Then again, Curse of Monkey Island was quite heavy on dialogue, voice-acting was a nice addition. Then AGAIN, there are many RPGs very heavy on dialogue that doesn’t have voice work at all.

Personally I’m not a fan of long winded dialogues, so it doesn’t matter that much to me.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Very important… BUT with certain exceptions…

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top