• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

shanethewolfSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Banshee’s Last Cry (Kamaitachi no Yoru) [iOS]

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Just to make sure this game doesn’t get unnoticed!

Kamaitachi no Yoru is one of the earliest sound (visual) novels, and one of the greatest detective game series IMHO (link to own blog for more of my thoughts about the game)., written by detective writer Abiko Takemaru (who also did The Starship Damrey). It was originally released on the Super Famicom (SNES), but Aksys has now finally released an English version of the iOS port.

Banshee’s Last Cry is a suspenseful visual novel and choose-your-own-adventure story that takes readers on a deadly ride of murder and deception. While staying at a hotel around a ski resort, vacationers find themselves caught up in a murderous “whodunit” game when a guest winds up dead. With the lodge completely snowed in and no escape, they will have to use all their cunning to solve this mystery and protect themselves from being the next victim! Local legend tells of a banshee whose screams can rip through flesh, but, is the killer really a deadly monster or the work of a madman?

I haven’t played the iOS port, but I think it’s the complete game (which includes several other ‘side-scenarios’ besides the main, detective scenario, including hilarious parodies and supernatural thriller variations of the basic story).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-24/aksys-games-releases-kamaitachi-no-yoru-visual-novel-on-ios

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I put this on my very long list of games to get when I get my ipad mini. I’m going to get the 128gb model to hold all these games on.

My prediction is that adventure gaming will be huge on ios for me in the future. The hardware is a little more expensive but the games are less expensive.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks for the heads. Going to check it out

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

I like how title translations are exact Tongue

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Couldn’t wait any longer for the Walking Dead Season 2 to get released for the PSVITA and got an ipad mini 2 with 128 GB of storage - should hold over 200 games.

I got this game and some other Visual Novels and some are very good - this one looks promising and I’ll play it soon completely - I got the full release.

The ipad hardware is pricy compared to the PS VITA but this game was only $3.99 and I got 10 others like it for $3.99 or less each - so in the long run I’ll make out ok.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Finally managed to play through this. Really enjoyed it! Sound novels seem like a good match for smartphones. This one worked really well, and is even better with earphones.

For those of you that don’t know, they’ve changed a few things with the translation. Names are all western. The lodge is now somewhere in British Columbia rather than Japan. One of the guests is from Texas rather than Osaka etc etc. The most obvious change is using the ‘Banshee’ rather than ‘Kamaitachi’ as the so called local legend. Unless you are some kind of ultimate weeaboo these changes don’t ruin the experience one bit.

They’ve also made the effort to change the pictures in the English version. Some comparison pics:

Kamaitachi no Yoru, Super Famicom, 1994

Kamaitachi no Yoru - Smart Sound Novel, iOS, 2013

Banshee’s Last Cry - Interactive Novel, iOS, 2014

As for the story. I suspected it was Faberge (Mikimoto) since he seemed like the outsider, although him getting injured and also dying in one of the endings did throw me off.  The bad ending where you re-visit the murder scene with Faberge pretty much gave it away though. At one point I thought there was a possibility of multiple culprits, but I’m glad they didn’t go down that route. I think the first ending I got was where I got killed by Grace, where pretty much everyone was paranoid by that point!

The only really thing missing from the iOS version was a flow chart. It would have been nice to have something to keep track of what endings you got.

Anyone else play it? 

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Funny, the outside of the lodge in the English version looks more like the lodge in PS3/PSV’s Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru.

Kinda strange they got rid of the flowchart, which wasn’t present in the original SFC release, but was added in the PSX rerelease. Did the English version keep all the extra scenarios like the spy scenario and the dungeon crawler scenario?

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Finished the mystery chapter a while ago. Figured out the trick and murderer somewhere near the end of my first run that ended in a dead obviously.
Not sure yet if I am going to explore the other chapters. Do these flesh out the initial mystery in any way? Do you get to find out the motive(if the motive wasn’t the bank robbery scenario), or is there some double-twist I have yet to disover?

But definitely enjoyed the ride as long as it lasted for me. Great english script imho and great build-up of suspense.

Edit: The game is slightly buggy though. I can’t save the game apart from the auto-save. Also I don’t think you should be able to go back pages and revisit your choices on your first run. Because once chosen they get highlighted and it can get confusing on subsequent playthrough what your actual choice was.
I was actually writing it all down on a sheet of paper lol.
The game would have benefitted greatly from an added flowchart and overview of unlocked endings.
But for the price of ~2,50 euros the game offers great value and these are minor complaints.

Did the English version keep all the extra scenarios like the spy scenario and the dungeon crawler scenario?

Apparently, yes.

Also decided I am going to visit that lodge in Canada someday.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The other scenarios have nothing to do with the mystery chapter, they just use the same characters / setting.

And about the solution of the mystery chapter:

Did you know there are two points in the story at which you can solve the murder(s)? The original SFC version only counted the first one as a good ending, but the PSX version counted the second one as good too

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Yeah, solved it the first possible time on my second playthrough.
Maybe solving it on the second time will provide more answers.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Tantei KID - 10 October 2014 02:13 AM

Kinda strange they got rid of the flowchart

They even got rid of the blue silhouettes. Sheer madness!

Anyone that has completed the game should also check out the Game Center CX episode (Season 14) where Arino plays through the Super Famicom version.

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Trickless - 10 October 2014 01:51 PM
Tantei KID - 10 October 2014 02:13 AM

Kinda strange they got rid of the flowchart

They even got rid of the blue silhouettes. Sheer madness!

But it was always so funny when the script said they’d gone ‘pale’ (‘blue’ in Japanese), even though everyone was blue already!

Seriously though, that’s kinda a bummer. I think it added a lot to the atmosphere.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top