• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielUndefinedwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best non-linear games?

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

After some recent discussion I’ve read here, I think non-linearity is one of the key components of AGs that I like vs the ones I don’t like. Examples of non-linearity are Monkey Island 2 middle section. 4 islands to explore at once, multiple objectives not necessarily spelled out, solvable in any order. Locations and hotspots aren’t “conveniently” turned off for you just because they have been used. You don’t necessarily have everything you need to solve a puzzle in the room the puzzle is located. You get the idea.

So what are some of the best non-linear AGs? Or AGs with excellent non-linear sections. Most helpfully for me would be what are some recent ones (last 5-10 years or so) that really nailed that wide open exploration feeling. Go!

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

I apologize because I’m not following your rule of being a recent game Smile

I just think Myst did it best. A number of different islands to solve in any order, all of which had their own theme.

I find your question easier to answer for open world RPGs (such as The Elder Scrolls games) which tend to present worlds instead of tight-knit narratives. It’s a bigger challenge to create the narrative resonance you want, I think, when thematic elements can be experienced in different orders. You’re letting go of a narrative control over your audience…

...but again, just a bigger challenge. I like both ways equally, but I love, as a player, as much agency as possible.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Wasn’t each island self contained though? Great game regardless.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Deponia trilogy.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

There’re many… all of Daedalic’s games feature plenty locations “at a time” and “scattered” puzzles. Go with The Whispered World - it’s not the most non-linear game you’ll see, but it has a good balance.

Gray Matter has Jane Jensen’s unique “map” style like in GK.

Ceville has a touch of “Day of the Tentacle” multi-character madness, though to a lesser extent, but it’s still a great game.

Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine is, if not the most non-linear, one of the most “explorable” games out there - try to talk to cacti or kiss the sky (the other way around is good, too Grin) and you’ll get my meaning. Also, I believe there’re 20+ screens in the Freddy Pharkas-esque city alone you can access right at the beginning.

Journeyman Project 3 (hey, it’s a playthrough candidate!) has a neat “non-linear” puzzle feature in which you can morph into people you meet. The Space Bar (along with “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon) is enormously “free” to explore (frustrating too!). 

All of Kheops games possess that rare “solving the puzzles in either way” non-linearity.

Also, play Toonstruck if you haven’t already - it’s pretty much a “middle-section” of MI2.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

King’s Quest 1-5 had that kind of feel, though they certainly had their share of other problematic elements, too.

For my money, I’d say the absolute best non-linear adventure game ever is Hero’s Quest (I of course am referring to the superior original EGA version, not the shitty VGA remake that removed all of the visual charm of the original.)  hehe

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Machinarium has this to an extent. There are some long linear sections, but there is also a city where you have open puzzle-solving. It’s not actually all that big, but it feels like it is.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I actually really liked the Kheops games. Good example of what puzzles and format can do to lift an otherwise throwaway story. What happened to them? Are they done making AGs?

I’d put Blade Runner up there. And the under appreciated Moment Of Silence. I remember that feeling very “open” and surprisingly good.

I guess Machinarium qualifies? It’s a good game, but it felt like a small world to me.

Anything from recently?

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 January 2014 01:48 AM

Anything from recently?

Why, the upcoming Quest For Infamy is pretty much entirely that sort of game, save for the very beginning and the very end.  Wink

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’d like to include “Virtue’s Last Reward” in this category - I’ve played it several times and gotten quite a few different endings.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Riven. By far the best non-linear game…
Explore first-solve later to it’s pure pefection.
It’s not a rescent one however (like you suggested).

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Sefir - 16 January 2014 08:11 AM

Riven. By far the best non-linear game…

Yes, Riven was the first game that came to my mind.
Also Schizm 1 (not Schizm 2, which was much more linear) and the RHEM games.
Once you figure out how to open up areas, you can go pretty much wherever you want (though it may take some time to work your way back).

Keepsake was pretty non-linear as far as exploration. But I think you had to do certain puzzles in order.

Atlantis 2 let you explore the Ireland, Maya, and China worlds and return to the ship if you wanted to work on one of the other worlds. However the Shambala level at the end was isolated and I don’t think you could go back from there. I don’t think any of the other Atlantis games had that much non-linearity though there was some within worlds.

Once you get past the initial part of the game, Slip Space: The Burma Shave Analogy becomes nonlinear.

None of these are terribly new—the latest RHEM and Slip Space being the newest (2010). For some reason (probably cost) non-linearity seems at odds with modern graphics in adventure games. The RHEM games and Slip Space are low resolution.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Maybe not classic adventures in the point-and-click sense, but the Mercenary series bears mentioning here. It allowed for very open-ended exploration and puzzle solving, where only the game’s final objective ever mattered. There were so many ways to accomplish your goals. Not much has been done like that since.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lambonius - 16 January 2014 02:25 AM

Why, the upcoming Quest For Infamy is pretty much entirely that sort of game, save for the very beginning and the very end.  Wink

I’m so glad I backed the game. It sounds better and better Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I love how Daedalic’s games boast free - roaming worlds with lots of objectives while retaining the sense of (quirky) logic in (almost) every puzzle. I completely disagree with opinion they should edit their games because I never get stuck more than 15 minutes on their inventory puzzles.

Usually, (IMHO, of course) they’re really good at building up certain tension around puzzles. You know, the usual “the game lays out a problem, you cannot possible fathom how to solve it, then you check your inventory, try some solutions but you realize you’re missing one key ingredient, then you think a bit about problem (Should I ask a certain character to solve it? Did I miss an important item on the way?) and suddenly solution becomes clear and rewarding” stuff.

On the other hand, they should work more on their logic puzzles and interface problems.

Musical puzzle in Deponia 2, open the crate and baby Goal in sewers in Deponia 3. Primarily, I have beef with Deponia series in that regard.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

If nonlineraty is your biggest thrill then I believe you are looking at the wrong places. Games like Outcast, Shenmue and actually most RPG/MMORPG are great in this regard since that’s entirely where their focus lies.

With that said, having freedom och large environments/worlds to explore can obviously be a great thing to have in an adventure game. The downside is that you risk losing the focus/impact of the story/characters when there’s basicly to much of it. That often means that the work required can be put to better use developing other aspects.

In a dreamworld most adventure games would aim for something inbetween but then there’s the problem of actually having to hand design a huge game world would take enormous amounts of money.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top