• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

“Alum” demo now available!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-06-04

PM

We have just released a interactive, playable demo for “Alum”.

Hope you guys have as much fun playing through it as we did making it.

If you like the demo, please visit our site and leave us a comment, pre-order the game, and/or give a donation. Thanks so much again for your support!

click the link below to go to the download site.

http://alumgame.blogspot.com/

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hi! Smile

I just played and completed the demo. It was a nice little experience, the puzzles were fun (though maybe a little too much hand-holding for my taste, but I assume the game’s difficulty will increase as you progress), and the story had me interested. Unfortunately, I also have some critisism, if you don’t mind my sharing.

I thought -D- was unbelievably quick to reveal his position as a leader for a secret rebel organization to a complete stranger. You’d think, with the risk that is apparently involved, that it would be among his top priorities to hide his plans and status as a rebel leader until he had good reason to trust who and what Alum and his intentions were.

As it was required to win it to progress the story, I think it could be a good idea to allow a “skip-option” for the Donkey Kong-ish mini-game. If there’s anything I’ve learned about adventure game purists from my time at this forum, it’s that many of them, if not most (myself included), dislike arcade mini-games, particularly when they cannot be skipped Wink

I’m not natively an English speaker, but I noticed several spelling errors throughout the demo. For example: “the robot has bad eye site”. I can only assume you mean “eye sight”.

I thought the font in the narrated messages (like when you acquire an inventory item) was WAY too big, almost as if designed for people with poor eye site…uhm.. sight! Tongue

As for the artwork, I see a lot of room for improvement. It strikes me as a bit amateurish, I’m sorry to say Frown The most prominent area is the incorrect perspective geometry, as you seem to be working without knowing its basic rules. I see you favour one-point perspective (which I personally think is a bad idea to use with adventure game backgrounds as it tends to make for boring, static scenes), but if I were to try and identify the location of the vanishing point in any of your backgrounds, I’d end up with a star map, because they are all over the place. One-point perspective should, as the name indicates, only have one vanishing point. I’d also use more extreme contrast in values to highlight focal points, and to create more depth. There’s definitely potential to the art, there’s nothing wrong with the creativity, but I do believe taking some art lessons could do wonders for you (I hope I am not out of line in saying that, I genuinly mean it as good advice Confused ). Had Alum been a freeware game, I’d be happy with it, but for a commercial game I expect something more.

I hope I’m not coming across too harsh here, I don’t mean any harm (I’m sure part of the point of releasing the Demo is getting feedback, be it good, bad or anything in between). I’ve done my best to be constructive in my critisism. I wish you the best of luck with your continued development and I’m looking forward to seeing the end product Smile By the way, will there be voice acting?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-06-29

PM

Dag - 11 January 2014 07:42 PM

As for the artwork, I see a lot of room for improvement. It strikes me as a bit amateurish, I’m sorry to say Frown The most prominent area is the incorrect perspective geometry, as you seem to be working without knowing its basic rules. I see you favour one-point perspective (which I personally think is a bad idea to use with adventure game backgrounds as it tends to make for boring, static scenes), but if I were to try and identify the location of the vanishing point in any of your backgrounds, I’d end up with a star map, because they are all over the place. One-point perspective should, as the name indicates, only have one vanishing point. I’d also use more extreme contrast in values to highlight focal points, and to create more depth. There’s definitely potential to the art, there’s nothing wrong with the creativity, but I do believe taking some art lessons could do wonders for you (I hope I am not out of line in saying that, I genuinly mean it as good advice Confused ). Had Alum been a freeware game, I’d be happy with it, but for a commercial game I expect something more.

While I agree with some of your other points, I personally really like the artwork. It suffers from plenty of technical flaws, as you pointed out, but the charm and character completely override that for me. It’s got this consistent inconsistency that I love and it makes the whole thing feel a bit more genuine.

Kind of like when there’s a song with a flubbed note somewhere. After listening to the recording the imperfection becomes part of the experience and you end up enjoying it. Without that little nuance, that part would’ve just been another perfectly executed chorus. Makes it interesting!

I’m not making excuses for a lack of skill, I just genuinely dig the art. I wouldn’t worry about revamping it for the game. That would be a ton of work. Taking classes couldn’t hurt though!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top