• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Elum - 29 June 2012 01:32 PM

Or Deponia. After the first minutes of main character lines I stumbled upon in the demo version (for example - “What’s this? A sock? That explains why I’ve had such cheesy dreams.”) I’m not sure if I want to play the rest of it. It just seems so dull, flat and uninsipired… Cool

This was my initial reaction as well, but some of the forumites convinced me to give it another shot, and I’m glad it did. The first minutes of Deponia are very off putting, but the rest more than makes up for that.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2012-02-03

PM

Elum - 29 June 2012 05:50 AM

From what I’ve seen so far, in my opinion The Dark Eye is the best Daedalic adventure to date. I wasn’t expecting much, especially after rather average A New Beginning, but this game is brilliant.

BTW, when you’ll visit the location with some obvious references to other Daedalic adventures (with Spot mascot lying on the shelf etc.) don’t forget to use Puppet Head with Magnesium on the Curtain. Something really, really, REALLY exciting will happen. Yum If you’re interested, here’s the whole scene:

Smile

I just tried it and yes it really is in the game Smile

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Elum, I’m not being harsh, the game just doesn’t appeal to me.

I didn’t like A New Beginning very much. Played the incredibly buggy German version, which didn’t help of course. I often have a problem with unrealistic puzzles in a gameworld that tries to be realistic. Like when some security guard says you can’t enter a room, but you can steal stuff right in front of him or switch nameplates on doors, and he doesn’t care. I don’t mind that so much in a fantasy game like the Whispered World or Deponia. (One of the many reasons why I love Resonance is that it manages to avoid this pitfall in spite of its realistic setting.)

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien I don’t think the game tries to be realistic - there’s an enormous peacock the size of an elephant, water that flows upwards, talking crows, fairies and OGRES! Smile

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yes, the Dark Eye sure sounds like a fantasy world. It still doesn’t appeal to me. But I was only talking about the more realistic setting and story in A New Beginning.  A bit of a non-sequitur, I guess.  Shifty Eyed

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-04-01

PM

TrevorNZ - 29 June 2012 11:31 PM
Elum - 29 June 2012 05:50 AM

From what I’ve seen so far, in my opinion The Dark Eye is the best Daedalic adventure to date. I wasn’t expecting much, especially after rather average A New Beginning, but this game is brilliant.

BTW, when you’ll visit the location with some obvious references to other Daedalic adventures (with Spot mascot lying on the shelf etc.) don’t forget to use Puppet Head with Magnesium on the Curtain. Something really, really, REALLY exciting will happen. Yum If you’re interested, here’s the whole scene:

Smile

I just tried it and yes it really is in the game Smile

Indeed it is, I’m only surprised they didn’t use another line from the game in it.. “You can shove that up your arse!”

I really enjoyed this game, thought it offered up exactly the right level of difficulty for me (as in, I never got stuck enough to consider looking at any sort of walkthrough) and I did (unlike the review) quite like the characters, and the ending

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I think it’s a great game too but the biggest flaw is the girl. I can’t think of a more annoying character in any game. She really takes out a lot of the enjoyment for me and I sit there wishing I could just use that knife in my inventory on her.

What makes it even more frustrating is that killing her (which is all I want to do) would save the world! (At least at the point in the story in which I am right now. I didn’t quite beat the game yet.)

Even with that, it’s still a great game. It’s just so frustrating that it could have been a lot better had they just left her out. So far my favorite Daedalic game is still The Breakout.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 30 June 2012 05:40 PM

I think it’s a great game too but the biggest flaw is the girl. I can’t think of a more annoying character in any game. She really takes out a lot of the enjoyment for me and I sit there wishing I could just use that knife in my inventory on her.

What makes it even more frustrating is that killing her (which is all I want to do) would save the world! (At least at the point in the story in which I am right now. I didn’t quite beat the game yet.)

Even with that, it’s still a great game. It’s just so frustrating that it could have been a lot better had they just left her out. So far my favorite Daedalic game is still The Breakout.

Not trying to be a rebel here, but I thought the girl was the best character in the game (besides the sleepy koala and the peacock). Yes she was annoying at times, but I think that was the point. And I liked her voice.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Ok I just beat it. I really liked the way the game ended. To me, overall, even with the annoying girl, it’s Daedalic’s 2nd best game and the best adventure I’ve played in a while.

I love the serious fantasy atmosphere. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that in an adventure game before. Usually fantasy adventures try to be comedies so I found it a refreshing change. Felt kind of like playing an adventure version of The Witcher.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I’ve a chance to play on 32” monitor yesterday and everything seemed even more impressive,
i’ll try on 50” or above next and let it hang on my wall 24/7.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

I really liked this game. Good story, lots of variation and logical puzzles.

It’s definitely the best Daedalic game so far. I couldn’t stand A New Beginning, I didn’t like Edna & Harvey and while I liked Whispered World I hated the puzzles. This, though, had no such weak spots. It’s just a genuinely good adventure.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Is there a demo version?
I’d like to try before I buy.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-06-20

PM

HERE you are.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just finished the game. I mostly enjoyed it. I found the characters very likeable (yes, that counts Nuri as well). I didn’t really like the game’s ending, but I guess that’s in the eye of the beholder (or of the occulunculus Tongue ). While not having great difficulty, I found some riddles kind out of logic, but that didn’t took anything from the enjoyment. In general, I liked the Whispered World more, but it was a close call and that means Daedelic is in the right path. Next to play: Deponia.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

nihl - 09 July 2012 06:14 AM

HERE you are.

Thanks. Downloading it right now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top