• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-01-31

PM

I was suprised too, but it’s real. Smile

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

It may be real, but it’s not funny or anything. That guy sounds like he’s badly constipated.  Embarassed

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien, what do you think of the game?  Pan

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

This is one Daedalic game I may not play. It doesn’t appeal to me. Even less after the bad voiceacting in the unfunny easter egg.

I loved Deponia though, and I’m looking forward to Deponia 2 which will be released in Germany in a couple of months.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

How embarassing, seems like something a 15 year old boy would think up. And to think a woman made the game…

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I have the feeling that for the easter egg they just re-used voice samples that appear in another context in the game. It reminded me of this.

Personally I was unsure for a long time if I should buy The Dark Eye. At first it just seemed like the kind of game I want, an adventure in a fantasy setting. Then the Steam necessity dulled a bit my enthusiasm, but then it would be hypocritical to not play the game because of this since I “own” a lot of games merely on Steam.

A lot of fantasy tends to be kinda dry with long-winded writing that mostly focuses on exposition and not so much on letting come the world alive. A lack of well fleshed out characters might not help either, which is basically another symptom of such flavorless writing. And I think we have a case of this here. I watched the beginning of a Let’s Play and I thought the writing was atrocious. The lacking animation quality didn’t help either, but that wouldn’t have bothered me too much otherwise.

So I’ll also skip straight ahead to Deponia 2. Smile

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Ok I just played through to that part again cause I just couldn’t believe that they would actually put that in the game. The video is fake. It doesn’t actually work. However, I played the German version but I highly doubt they just added that for the English audiences lol.

It’s sad to see some people actually considering not to get the game just because some kid on youtube made a joke. The graphics alone already appealed to me enough to buy the game. And about the voice acting… I don’t think any of the other Daedalic games do it any better. It’s mediocre but definitely not bad.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Nobody here seemed to consider what you’re suggesting.

Joined 2006-01-31

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 29 June 2012 09:09 AM

It’s sad to see some people actually considering not to get the game just because some kid on youtube made a joke.

I feel insulted.

First of all. This is in not fake. This is an actual easter egg that can be found in the english version of the game. Because it is rather unusual I thought I’ll share it with you. Nothing more, nothing less.

Second of all. I understand some of you may not be happy with this type of humor, but if I remember correctly similar easter egg can be found, for example, in Dark Earth. Was Dark Earth worse game just beacuse of one easter egg? Of course not. Both Dark Earth and The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav are great games. With or without some easter eggs, that have nothing to do with the actual story or gameplay.

And last but not least. I think that the main “problem” with Chains of Satinav is that it is noticeably different from other Daedalic’s adventures (probably mainly because of different designers). So gamers who are loking for another game in the vein of The Whispered World or A New Beginning, may indeed feel dissapointed. But that doesn’t mean Chains of Satinav is not worth trying.

ozzie - 29 June 2012 09:36 AM

I have the feeling that for the easter egg they just re-used voice samples that appear in another context in the game.

Exactly. That’s the main reason why the voices in this easter egg seems a little bit weird.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Schneckchen says it’s fake, you say it’s real. So who are we to believe?
I’d like to think Daedalic wouldn’t stoop to this blah level, but what do I know…

PS: And this from someone who is not ashamed to admit she sniggers at *some* juvenile toilet jokes.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I believe you, but:

Elum - 29 June 2012 10:22 AM

I feel insulted.

We English speakers should feel insulted that Daedelic feels this humour is below Germans Wink  Pan

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Fien - 29 June 2012 10:55 AM

All I can say is that it’s not in the German version.

And I didn’t mean to insult you Elum. I was just saying, whatever this is, it shouldn’t prevent people from buying an otherwise great game.

Joined 2006-01-31

PM

Well, I can only hope that other gamers will soon confirm authenticity of this easter egg.

I’d like to think Daedalic wouldn’t stoop to this blah level, but what do I know…

PS: And this from someone who is not ashamed to admit she sniggers at *some* juvenile toilet jokes.

Ironically, for me one of the strongest points of Chains of Satinav is that this game is not trying to be funny in a way similar to, lest’s say, Deponia. Wink I like the more serious atmosphere, compared to other Daedalic games. I’m already halfway through the game, and I didn’t saw any “blah level” yet.

And this comes from someone who is not a random, casual gamer. I raised on adventures such as The Last Express, Grim Fandango and also The Dark Eye (that other The Dark Eye, developed by Inscape, released in 1995). Oh, and I loved Insecticide. Cool

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Elum - 29 June 2012 11:20 AM

Ironically, for me one of the strongest points of Chains of Satinav is that this game is not trying to be funny in a way similar to, lest’s say, Deponia. Wink I like the more serious atmosphere, compared to other Daedalic games. I’m already halfway through the game, and I didn’t saw any “blah level” yet.

You can’t equal a blah Easter egg to the Deponia humor, that’s not fair.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2006-01-31

PM

I’m not equalling anything. Easter egg is one topic here. The fact that I prefer Chains of Satinav (its story, puzzles, characters etc.) more than earlier/other Daedalic adventures is completely different topic for me. As I said before, I like the fact that Chains of Satinav is not trying to be a comedy/wacky adventure, but this has nothing to do with that unfortunate easter egg. Well, maybe I’ve used wrong words or something, I don’t know. My native language is Polish so maybe you didn’t understand me because of my strange Polish accent. Wink

One thing I would like to say more is that I don’t understand why are you still so harsh towards Chains of Satinav in general. Do you really think that the story in A New Beginning, which seemed like it was written for younger children (it reminded me of “Captain Planet and the Planeteers” for some reason) was better? Or Deponia. After the first minutes of main character lines I stumbled upon in the demo version (for example - “What’s this? A sock? That explains why I’ve had such cheesy dreams.”) I’m not sure if I want to play the rest of it. It just seems so dull, flat and uninsipired… Cool

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top