• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

Advie - 23 June 2012 12:09 AM
JBS - 22 June 2012 11:33 PM

Are there 3d models in this game or fully 2d adventure?

amazing 2D
but the graphics are top notch , even better than Daedalic’s previously Praised TWW

That’s not entirely true.

According to this video (German)

http://www.larp.tv/tv2/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid;&video;_id=526

the characters were realized in 3D because a 2D frame by frame animation would have been too time consuming.

BUT you hardly even notice because it all fits so well into the layered 2D backgrounds. It really feels very 2D.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

The game was very good and very addictive so i finished it in one go. Overall it was fairly easy though, there were a few moments near the end where it seemed like there was nothing to do but for the most part there was always a clear puzzle to be solved and an idea on how to solve it and there weren’t really any illogical puzzles. I liked how the game used a mixture of puzzle types in the game including inventory puzzles, environment puzzles and logic puzzles, and made them fit into the world without seeming forced. The addition of magic powers was also good, and there was some very good use of these powers in the game to solve puzzles.

The graphics were excellent, and if you unlock the timelapse video you’ll see just how much work went into designing every scene. Animation could be a bit stuttery sometimes, especially mouths, and for some reason i had a lag spike every time a new scene loaded, but aside from these minor issues, it was one of the best looking adventure games i’ve played.

The sound and music were good, and the voice acting was excellent on the whole, and although the main character read a few lines with the wrong inflection, it didn’t really detract much from the experience. All the voices seemed to suit the characters well.

The story was interesting as well, with twists and surprises and a great cast of characters. It was perhaps a bit short, and the last chapter of the game only really had about 3 puzzles in between cutscenes but it was nice to see a game where the ending isn’t just a teaser for a sequel.

The only thing that really disappointed me was that there was the illusion of choice/consequence in the game, with branching conversations that can go in completely different directions, but it turns out after talking with some other players of the game, and trying multiple paths myself that no matter what you choose, the game forces you into the same path, so it doesn’t matter what you choose in the end. Hopefully if there’s a sequel they’ll do more with this.

As for making a sequel, i don’t think the game needs one and i don’t think it would work, but i would definitely like to see more stories set in the same world perhaps with some crossover of characters.

Overall, this is one of the best adventures to be released for a long time, Daedalic have put a lot of effort into the game mechanics and the production and it’s one everyone should play. 9.5/10

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ADan - 23 June 2012 06:18 AM
Advie - 23 June 2012 12:09 AM
JBS - 22 June 2012 11:33 PM

Are there 3d models in this game or fully 2d adventure?

amazing 2D
but the graphics are top notch , even better than Daedalic’s previously Praised TWW

BUT you hardly even notice because it all fits so well into the layered 2D backgrounds. It really feels very 2D.

True ,it hard determine the difference ,as i just stated that upon my knowledge of TWW ...and that it was with Fully 2D , and it looked to me that The Dark Eye Backgrounds were similar.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

the characters were realized in 3D because a 2D frame by frame animation would have been too time consuming.

Interesting, if characters realized in 3D why no lip sync?

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

JBS - 23 June 2012 12:56 PM

the close-ups of the characters aren’t 3D, or i’d be very surprised if they were as they look hand drawn, but 3D wouldn’t have an effect on lip sync anyway, especially when they are only really using a couple of frames for facial animation, like mouth open and mouth closed..

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

marcd2011 - 23 June 2012 01:08 PM
JBS - 23 June 2012 12:56 PM

the close-ups of the characters aren’t 3D, or i’d be very surprised if they were as they look hand drawn, but 3D wouldn’t have an effect on lip sync anyway, especially when they are only really using a couple of frames for facial animation, like mouth open and mouth closed..

I do agree on the closeups; from what I’ve seen they seem to be 2D. On the subject of lip syncing: This is a simultaneous release in four languages and I doubt they put all the different sincs in. I really don’t know if there was the time or the (wo)manpower nor do I know if the engine allows for that kind of shenanigans…

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Thats the thing. This game looks great, but even from the trailer I could tell that the realistic fantasy art direction feels a bit awkward with their experience in comedic/cartoony style of the previous games. Still a good game though.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I’m always amazed at people who manage to finish an adventure game in one day. Can you tell a bit more about it Advie?

tsa

tsa - 23 June 2012 03:13 AM
Advie - 22 June 2012 07:14 PM

about the Game i think i should say after finishing that it is Beautiful, (No Doubt)  but would had been my special cup of tea only if puzzles weren’t that straight forward .... it makes,New Beginning and The Whispered World seem like very Difficult Adventures

that how i would rate it Fairly :

Story 5/ 5 (The Story is an Absolute Fairy Tale that takes the Hero from his Doubts of being a bad Omen into Discovering the good of himself, which makes it Unique in a way,considering his actions through the Games getting from being Pretty Mean until he becomes so Tender and Caring, is very well writing .
—————

Graphics 5/ 5 ( i wouldn’t say more than it more Beautiful than The Whispered World itself, which is enough reason to give it 5 out of 5
—————

Animations 3.5/ 5 ( i really would had gave it less than this even, but considering the obvious caring of the developers towards all other elements and the Low Budget, plus how it (the Animations) severed the game right good i just couldn’t.
————-

Voice Acting 4/ 5 (the voice acting almost all through the games was top notch and specially of Nuri’s, the only thing that kinda turned me off was Geron’s (the hero) Description Tones towards the surroundings and the inventory’s ...etc!, but except from that his dialogues were great, and all the other NPCs voices were also Great as well.
—————

Music 5/ 5 (i used to leave the Musical theme(at the Main page) almost always playing until it finishes and then continue my Game or restore one, all the music in the Game was really Sensational and Touching, i ought to get the sound Track)
—————

Gameplaying 4/ 5 (well the it is is very smooth, but sorry i can not put my hands on why it wasn’t the best!,  i just couldn’t give more than 4 out of 5)

—————

Well I thought i can little Explain/Edit my ratings better than writing a Review or something else.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

i’m enjoying the game so far. the background art is spectacular. wouldn’t say it’s much better than TWW but i think chains of satinav equals to it (and that is almost the highest score). the voice acting is not so annoying for the first time with my daedalic experience Smile animation is a little bit snappy though… like there aren’t enough frames. so in this case I prefer TWW’s animation style, i think that we all agree on that. besides from that, i’m playing with pleasure. I think i’m gonna like it more than Deponia (i began to hate the main character only from the teasers)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Does anyone think the chapter with the giant peacock was the best fantasy section in a game in years? I mean wow. Stunningly beautiful with clever quirky puzzles. If only the whole game was like that. Some parts weren’t very good.

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

Oscar - 28 June 2012 11:28 AM

Does anyone think the chapter with the giant peacock was the best fantasy section in a game in years? I mean wow. Stunningly beautiful with clever quirky puzzles. If only the whole game was like that. Some parts weren’t very good.

i did like the puzzles in that realm, especially the colour related one and the water related one but i wasn’t keen on the realm itself, i preferred being in the real world locations. My favourite bit in the whole game was the bit when you’re tied up in the shack.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-12-15

PM

I’m still gawking at these graphics, that’s the kind of art I like! Unfortunately, $30 is a bit rough to my pockets at the moment.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Giant Bomb has a quick look up for this game. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-dark-eye-chains-of-satinav/17-6280/

The animation looks a bit stilted.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-01-31

PM

From what I’ve seen so far, in my opinion The Dark Eye is the best Daedalic adventure to date. I wasn’t expecting much, especially after rather average A New Beginning, but this game is brilliant.

BTW, when you’ll visit the location with some obvious references to other Daedalic adventures (with Spot mascot lying on the shelf etc.) don’t forget to use Puppet Head with Magnesium on the Curtain. Something really, really, REALLY exciting will happen. Yum If you’re interested, here’s the whole scene:

Smile

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

lol ummm… tell me that isn’t really in the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top