• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I liked TWW a lot, and I also found TDE to be quite an enjoyable adventure, but not without its flaws. Though the background art was amazing, the characters were about as dull as wallpaper paste. Getting to know Geron certainly wasn’t the motivator to keep going. I suspect that some of the intented personality and charm may have been lost in translation. Uninspired (cheap?) voiceactors certainly didn’t help the matter. However, this is a feeling I tend to get from most German/Spanish games, and I believe it’s tied to a restricted budget, rather than the games themselves being bad. If they could afford hiring talents like Tim Curry or Michael Gough, I’m sure every character would shine.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 28 June 2012 11:28 AM

Does anyone think the chapter with the giant peacock was the best fantasy section in a game in years?

Absolutely! The game is solid throughout all the way, but this part somehow stood out - it’s a combination of enchanting setting and clever puzzles, even though there’re not many characters to interact with in the fairy world.

So, I’ve finished the game. I have an interesting “misfortune” to tell: [spoiler]At the ending, I’ve gave the ring to the raven, talked to him, he said SATINAV… and then immediately the credits start to roll. I was sure I’ve reached the bad ending, and then spent 2 more days hanging from the harp trying to figure out what to do Grin I’ve seriously started to suspect I might have reached the dead end Grin Then, I’ve came to realize my original action must have been the right one, and just thought to myself that’s probably the reason why I’ve heard some players criticize the ending - because it was non-existent in my case Grin Then I’ve loaded Youtube video and was surprised to see that there is actually an ending cutscene - the game ran fine on my computer for the whole time, but it was just that it decided at that critical moment to fail on me and skip the ending sequence Grin[/spoiler]

Anyway, the game definitely proved to be better than I first suspected. Not perfect, but a worthy addition to Daedalic catalogue. It drags a little bit in the middle, and plays too much on the linear side because there’s no “Monkey Island-esque” freedom like traveling back and forth between worlds (islands), but it still manages to capture the “epic” feel, especially in the final quarter.

I actually liked Geron’s voice apart from few moments where he sounded totally misguided as to what was happening on screen. Raven’s voice is one of the best voices I’ve heard in recent titles. As for music, it’s one of game’s brightest sides.

Puzzles manage to reach the typical Daedalic quality, perhaps a little shy to the level of The Whispered World, but still good. Magic spells are a great addition (even though I could never guess right away which one does what Grin), and the best puzzle is definitely the one with pushing the God stones - not only because of a solution, but it succeeded to completely fool me, because I was sure the solution has something to do with the translation of the panels in the library, because of the word “wisdom” in the translation which I thought corresponds to the Wisdom God Angry Definitely one of the more mean red herrings I’ve stumbled upon. Wink My only gripe about puzzles is that it could use more puzzle variety, and that the final stage is too easy - it lacked at least one harder puzzle to spice the things up.

The story is okayish overall, even though I think I liked better while The Raven was kind of a sidekick, and not the Seer Cool. Like someone already mentioned - there’re no grand battles, monsters, sense of a great journey… one might expect from this kind of game, but it’s still decent enough. “Hand puppet” animations are the biggest drawback, no question, as it take away some of the title “epicness”. I’m well aware it’s a budget issue, but they somehow bothered me more than the “static” cutscenes. All in all, I can’t wait to see the continuation in Memoria, and hopefully Daedalic will only improve from here.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 17 May 2013 01:32 PM

...and the best puzzle is definitely the one with pushing the God stones - not only because of a solution, but it succeeded to completely fool me, because I was sure the solution has something to do with the…

He He, that one also had me stumped for a long time, for the very same reason.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I bought a disc version of the game from Amazon & was delighted to see that I received a DRM free collector’s edition! I’ve recently just finished it & just loved the way it ended - just so unexpected! I love everything I play but I thought COS was an exceptionally good game in terms of length, difficulty & story!

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

hey guys. I’ve lost all my savegames for chains of satinav. can someone send me a savegame to the place when Geron travels to the fairy world. If someone has it please send me a PM and I will give him/her my email. thanks in advance.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bumping the thread since I finished the game now and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t really find Daedalic games super appealing to me but I played TWW demo back in the day and liked it, and now a few months ago I played Edna & Harvey and loved it. Now I really liked The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav too so I think I might be turning into a Daedalic fangirl afterall.

Anyway, the story was good and I don’t really understand what was wrong with the characters, I liked them too. And for the most part gameplay and puzzles were also very entertaining. Towards the end there were moments when it was a bit unclear to me what I was supposed to do next, as I thought like 5 times I was ready to go but I couldn’t go anywhere.

The fairy part of the game was very good puzzle wise. I pretty much talked to the peacock as the last thing I could possibly do and still managed to crack most of the puzzles, even without it explaining all the ideas behind them. So this part of the game really wasn’t hard by any means. I was a lot more stuck in all the other chapters, though overall I wasn’t stuck much and most of the those stuck moments included a missed hotspot or a bug that kinda knocked me off my game (not a bug that would actually prevent me from progressing but something that makes me convinced that the solution is something else).

I wouldn’t mind a sequel at all, though the ending was pretty good as it was.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

millenia - 10 April 2014 12:37 AM

Too bad that’s never gonna happen.

Oh wait, wasn’t that Memoria game last year a sequel? Confused

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m playing it now, probably about 5 minutes away from crossing over to the fairy world, so I have about 4 hours of playing logged in.
The game is pretty bad. I don’t understand all the rave user reviews. It’s as pretty as other Daedelic games, it has nothing but easy puzzles even on the “hard” setting, the dialogue is pompous is goes on forever and I honestly envy the people here who can care so much about a plot that they can overlook all of what I just said.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 10 April 2014 01:48 AM
millenia - 10 April 2014 12:37 AM

Too bad that’s never gonna happen.

Oh wait, wasn’t that Memoria game last year a sequel? Confused

And not only that but it was originally planned as a trilogy, so I expect that it wont take too long before Daedalic announces the 3rd game in The Dark Eye series.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

life is always either full of slow witted or dumb .. ,where are the normal ..!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Antrax - 10 April 2014 02:16 AM

I’m playing it now, probably about 5 minutes away from crossing over to the fairy world, so I have about 4 hours of playing logged in.
The game is pretty bad. I don’t understand all the rave user reviews. It’s as pretty as other Daedelic games, it has nothing but easy puzzles even on the “hard” setting, the dialogue is pompous is goes on forever and I honestly envy the people here who can care so much about a plot that they can overlook all of what I just said.

You’re not alone, but I can tell you there are just as many average and negative reviews of the game. I like the way you put it though - if I enjoyed this game as much as some people did I feel I’d be entertained by almost anything.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 10 April 2014 05:22 AM

You’re not alone, but I can tell you there are just as many average and negative reviews of the game. I like the way you put it though - if I enjoyed this game as much as some people did I feel I’d be entertained by almost anything.

So… If people have a different taste in games then you do then they would be entertained by almost anything. Did I understood that correctly?

Criticize the game if you want to, but there is no need to insult the many members here that enjoyed it.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 10 April 2014 09:21 AM
Oscar - 10 April 2014 05:22 AM

So… If people have a different taste in games then you do then they would be entertained by almost anything. Did I understood that correctly?

No. Not people, just me. It’s a compliment not an insult - I’d love to enjoy dialogue that isn’t witty or clever or interesting. There would be so much more to play.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-06-20

PM

Loved the game soo much! Memoria also. To me, these were the best quests I’ve played in years. If anyone could recommend something similar, or just as good - I’d be very grateful.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I couldn’t resist starting Memoria and I “accidentally” played it 7 hours straight. Jeez. These games are indeed good. Engaging story, beautiful world and mostly very good puzzles. I was surprised that Memoria actually was a sequel - kinda. Pleasantly surprised of course.

What’s up with Jacomo Nauta being David Bowie btw?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top