• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Finally a full scale new ag for 2012, from Daedelic coming out this week,plenty of fantasy settings used in ags but this visually off the charts.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It looks very pretty no doubt, but it was not the quality of the graphics that I found unsatisfying in the previous Daedelic adventures. I’m looking forward to reading the first reviews on this one.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i’m guessing it’s just the german release coming out this week….if so any info on the english?is Lace Mamba gonna take it up again?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Both German and English release are coming on June 22nd.

I love everything from Daedalic so I’m looking forward to this one as well. There’s a minor issue I’m having, though - if you look at the trailer, for example at 0:58, the animation is quite rudimentary with characters resembling hand puppets.

For comparison, if you look at The Whispered World, let’s say here -

at 0:55, there’s significantly more frames to it. Also, I’m not the biggest fan of static “comic-like” cutscenes, like those from Gray Matter, but I can understand it’s not always possible to have full animation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

diego - 16 June 2012 06:29 AM

Both German and English release are coming on June 22nd.

That is correct. It has to be mentioned though that a Steam activation will be required.

diego - 16 June 2012 06:29 AM

[...] Also, I’m not the biggest fan of static “comic-like” cutscenes, [...]

In this case it seems to be an explicit choice of art style as documented in one of the “making of “- videos (German):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NKGsej1xMnI

They put quite an effort into implementing effects and animations that don’t strike one’s eye immediately. I’m especially rather intrigued by the light ray animation that seems to transcend the “paper plane”.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

yeah i remember the thread about chains being Steam only.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

They probably wanted to keep the fairly detailed characters at all costs, while a more simplified style would have looked less awkward in combination with the basic facial animations. That’s usually exactly the advantage of even the most basic drawn characters over the lifeless 3D-puppets we see in so many adventures: That you can strip everything to a bare minimum and still have a visually believable person on screen, and they sacrificed that advantage for more detail, without being able to ramp up the animation to the necessary level.
It’s one thing when a game like Edna and Harvey uses this kind of animation style, but in this case it feels wrong to me so far.
On the other hand the characters match the beautiful backgrounds and probably the The Dark Eye style better this way.
From what I’ve seen I’m not completely sure yet, but I think I’d still prefer their The Whispered World approach and don’t care for the closeups either. I guess they are supposed to feel cinematic and immersive, but end up dangerously close to looking cheap and distracting.
And even this way they must have cost some considerable time and money, which they could have used for fewer but better cutscenes for example. That’s only my opinion of course, they probably had their reasons to decide differently.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-06-03

PM

For a second I thought you guies were talking about a sequel for this game here:

I am slightly sad. Frown

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Everything I’ve read and seen about the game looks great actually. This could be Daedelic’s best game yet. I just hope they puts more work into the dialogues and writing, which are easily the weakest part of their games.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Oscar - 18 June 2012 10:25 PM

Everything I’ve read and seen about the game looks great actually. This could be Daedelic’s best game yet. I just hope they puts more work into the dialogues and writing, which are easily the weakest part of their games.

Actually I think their dialogue and writing are fine. It’s the the english translation and the choice of voice actors that leave a lot to be desired.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Castledoque - 19 June 2012 03:08 AM
Oscar - 18 June 2012 10:25 PM

Actually I think their dialogue and writing are fine. It’s the the english translation and the choice of voice actors that leave a lot to be desired.

That was true for A New Beginning, but you can tell the actors are much better in Dark Eye:

Still not convinced though.. lines like
“But you know what? I’ll win the contest anyway, I’ll take back my oak leaf and I’ll win, and then no one will taunt me anymore”
sounds like something out of a children’s picture book. But it sounds like the actors are doing their best with it.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

The art in this game is spectacular and the puzzles are much more grounded than the Whispered World, everything is pretty logical. The voice acting is atrocious though, maybe not as actively irritating as their previous game but the main guy uses the same inflection and tone for the entire game. Story is ok even if it takes a while to get started. I preordered it for 33.49e (GameRocket) and I think it’s worth it if only for the great backgrounds and solid puzzles. Now all those guys need is to invest as much in voice acting and writing as they did in the art and their next game has the potential to be flawless.

I think they’re using Visionnaire Studio to make it and if that’s the case that engine is all you ever need.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Adventure - 20 June 2012 10:51 AM

The art in this game is spectacular and the puzzles are much more grounded than the Whispered World, everything is pretty logical. The voice acting is atrocious though, maybe not as actively irritating as their previous game but the main guy uses the same inflection and tone for the entire game. Story is ok even if it takes a while to get started. I preordered it for 33.49e (GameRocket) and I think it’s worth it if only for the great backgrounds and solid puzzles. Now all those guys need is to invest as much in voice acting and writing as they did in the art and their next game has the potential to be flawless.

I think they’re using Visionnaire Studio to make it and if that’s the case that engine is all you ever need.

How did you get the game that you’re playing it before release?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Gabe - 20 June 2012 11:22 AM
Adventure - 20 June 2012 10:51 AM

How did you get the game that you’re playing it before release?

It hasn’t been released? A couple of my friends have been playing it.

EDIT: Confirmed its been released.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Screenshot in OP kind of reminds me of Deponia.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Wait, how did this game get released in english before Deponia? lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top