• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkchrissiertrooneyzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Had no idea about this thread. I’d like to confess about something! Well, for starters, I recently finished Broken Age and I didn’t like it very much. Now I’m not sure my faith in Kickstarter is all that strong… Then again, I bet on many projects.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

1. I’d dearly love to play the Wadjet Eye games games, but I just can’t get over the graphics, and I feel SUPER guilty about that. So I bought them anyway.

2. Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting made me cry like a baby, and it’s still one of my favorite games of any genre.

3. I think Lost Horizon is one of the most underrated adventure games ever.

4. I hated The Lost Files: Tunguska so much. Just so so so much you guys.

5. I think the humor in Monkey Island is trite and corny, and the jokes are what made me quit playing.

6. Any time an AG description mentions the words “Egypt”, “conspiracy” and/or “Vatican” I am just right the fuck out.

7. It’s been years since I last played it, but sometimes, when something reminds me, I still get all weepy about a certain moment in Still Life. You know the one.

8. I don’t actually mind Still Life 2 all that much.

9. In fact, while I’m at it, I’d love to see an adventure game based an the SAW series. And I don’t even like those movies. At all.

10. I think Dark Fall: Lost Souls is the superior of the Dark Fall games by many a mile.

I also think I’ll never be brave enough to show my face around these parts again, but there we have it.

Failing Upwards

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Devilfish, I fully agree with 4 and 5. Smile Let me add that number 5 is a big one around these parts. Well, any parts really.

But then I violently disagree with your 8 and 9. Frown

Devilfish - 25 June 2014 08:04 PM

I also think I’ll never be brave enough to show my face around these parts again, but there we have it.

You should definitely stick around! Thumbs Up

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-03-05

PM

1. I used a walkthrough for most of the LucasArts adventures without even trying to work out the puzzles myself….and it didn’t impact on my absolute love for them.
2. I hated Telltale’s Strong Bad game, the humour just seemed really juvenile and obnoxious to me and I was pretty bored
3. I…liked Escape From Monkey Island
4. I consider the giant monkey robot to be enough for me in terms of what The Secret of Monkey Island is
5. The first time I finished Escape From Monkey Island, I beat Monkey Combat completely in my head, without any use of a pen and paper
6. At the very ending of Amid the Ruins, I laughed because the Bosco’s theme (for some random reason) was playing during the fade out

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

OzzieMonkey - 25 June 2014 11:19 PM

6. At the very ending of Amid the Ruins, I laughed because the Bosco’s theme (for some random reason) was playing during the fade out

What is Amid the Ruins?

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-03-05

PM

wilco - 26 June 2014 04:34 AM
OzzieMonkey - 25 June 2014 11:19 PM

What is Amid the Ruins?

....well this is embarrassing. I meant to be talking about the third episode of The Walking Dead: Season Two, and accidentally said the title of the not-yet-released 4th episode…oops :p

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

Karlok - 25 June 2014 08:18 PM

Devilfish, I fully agree with 4 and 5. Smile Let me add that number 5 is a big one around these parts. Well, any parts really.

You mean that most people won’t agree with me? Yeah, I can totally imagine that. It’s definitely not that I think the jokes are bad or fall flat, because that’s just not the case, but it’s just not the type of humor I personally like. Honestly I wish I liked it a whole lot more than I did, but I can’t force myself to laugh even at good jokes. I shouldn’t have said that they’re objectively corny and trite, because they’re not, I just personally experience them that way.

And god, Tunguska… All that nonsense with taping a goddamn phone to a cat just to see how the mystery turns out, and it turns out it’s fucking aliens? Seriously? That’s what you’re going with here, it’s aliens? Nope. It didn’t work for Indiana Jones and it definitely doesn’t work there. I just don’t like mystery games where the mystery doesn’t pay off.

Karlok - 25 June 2014 08:18 PM

But then I violently disagree with your 8 and 9. Frown

Oh, don’t get me wrong, Still Life 2 is an abysmal Still Life game. I absolutely hate it as a continuation of the story. But if it had been sold to me as Generic Detective Solves A Mystery, I’d have liked it perfectly fine. It would have been a pretty decent standalone game. The biggest sin here is slapping Still Life on the box. And that insipid flashback where the killer explains their non-motive. God. That sucked so hard. Take that out though and you’re left with a serviceable detective thriller.

And honestly, I think the SAW movies are adventure games in film form. Loads of character development and interpersonal mystery and betrayal punctuated by long and involved puzzle sequences. Those movies catch a lot of flak for their sadism, and rightly so, but as a story of betrayal and mystery and murder and ridiculously convoluted puzzle traps plus near-magical serial killers, it kind of works. Shame about the gore.

Failing Upwards

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Devilfish - 26 June 2014 11:39 AM

And honestly, I think the SAW movies are adventure games in film form. Loads of character development and interpersonal mystery and betrayal punctuated by long and involved puzzle sequences. Those movies catch a lot of flak for their sadism, and rightly so, but as a story of betrayal and mystery and murder and ridiculously convoluted puzzle traps plus near-magical serial killers, it kind of works. Shame about the gore.

I agree with your premise here, but isn’t the gore kind of a major part of the whole point of the movies?  I mean, if those traps didn’t have the ability to horribly maim/kill their victims, it’d kind of pull all the tension out of the films.

Joined 2010-09-07

PM

Lambonius - 26 June 2014 12:39 PM

I agree with your premise here, but isn’t the gore kind of a major part of the whole point of the movies?  I mean, if those traps didn’t have the ability to horribly maim/kill their victims, it’d kind of pull all the tension out of the films.

Yeah, but the things is that it being gory and cruel doesn’t need to be a problem. Hell, Cognition also features horrific traps and challenges for the victims, a cruel and sadistic killer and plenty of gore, plus some seriously hardcore body horror in episode 2, but that didn’t stop it from being a very good character- and story-driven game.

I’m by no means a huge fan of the series, but I do know that after the first movie fans sort of fell into two camps: those who really liked the elaborate traps and gore and those who liked the mystery and the psychological thriller aspect. The series is known for it’s gruesome traps, but the stories and characters are actually very well-written and the mystery gets quite complex (with huge plot holes the more the series goes on, but still.) The traps make the series extra-strength horrific and shocking, yes, but it’s more about the killers and how they relate to each other and their victims, and the investigators who get caught up in all of it. (There was one SAW movie, 5 I think, where they just threw a bunch of boring jerks into a meat grinder like modern slasher films do and the fans hated it. If that’s what you want, you watch Final Destination, not SAW, which spends a LOT of time developing characters and just… you know, talking.) The gore, well, it is what it is, but the series actually has a lot of likable characters and a strong set of mysteries, great cliffhangers too, especially early on. I actually think SAW is one of the smarter modern horror series there is. Again, not a huge fan, but I really think it would work as a game. Play from the perspective of victims, branching story lines based on whether you solve the trap or not, play as an investigator, play as the Jigsaw Killer…

I’m not saying it would necessarily be a good game, that all depends, but it would certainly be interesting.

Failing Upwards

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’d play it.  Smile  I dug the first two Saw movies enough to buy them on DVD.  Never saw any of them beyond that though.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2004-03-30

PM

UPtimist - 12 January 2014 01:29 PM

And finally, not really a confession (and most of those that know me here probably know my opinions), but since everyone was talking about it - I think Gabriel Knight 3 has the best adventure game interface ever created, by far. It has easy, natural controls, its free-roaming is the most immersive gaming experience, and the graphics - despite being very simple and certainly wanting - are quite easy on the eyes and have the best facial expressions up until very recent years (with the new facial mo-cap techniques).

I realise its been a few months since your post, but since I only stumble upon it right now, I just want to say: THANK YOU!! I remember when GK 3 came out I not only absolutely loved the interface, I also felt that it was the natural progression from 2D interface to 3D interface for adventure games! I will never understand why people found the camera so difficult or what they thought was wrong with the interface.

I also didnt really mind the graphics, though I will admit that they could have been a lot better. Nevertheless, I felt the atmosphere of the south of France was established very nicely, and in the end I have to say I certainly prefer it over GK 2 (whoch. i also love, however).

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Jerry - 26 June 2014 06:36 PM
UPtimist - 12 January 2014 01:29 PM

And finally, not really a confession (and most of those that know me here probably know my opinions), but since everyone was talking about it - I think Gabriel Knight 3 has the best adventure game interface ever created, by far. It has easy, natural controls, its free-roaming is the most immersive gaming experience, and the graphics - despite being very simple and certainly wanting - are quite easy on the eyes and have the best facial expressions up until very recent years (with the new facial mo-cap techniques).

I realise its been a few months since your post, but since I only stumble upon it right now, I just want to say: THANK YOU!! I remember when GK 3 came out I not only absolutely loved the interface, I also felt that it was the natural progression from 2D interface to 3D interface for adventure games! I will never understand why people found the camera so difficult or what they thought was wrong with the interface.

I also didnt really mind the graphics, though I will admit that they could have been a lot better. Nevertheless, I felt the atmosphere of the south of France was established very nicely, and in the end I have to say I certainly prefer it over GK 2 (whoch. i also love, however).

Well it’s been 20 years since GK3 (Happy Birthday!!!)

...and still no developer has improved on or even sought to replicate the fantastic interface.

Why? Surely this is one of the biggest mysteries of the adventure gaming universe?

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I thought Full Throttle was a boring turd of a game and juvenile fanboy stuff from Tim Schaefer who should have know better - motorbikes, rock n roll, biker gangs.

But I think I was 16 when it came out so maybe I was above the target age group

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 18 November 2018 06:02 AM

I thought Full Throttle was a boring turd of a game and juvenile fanboy stuff from Tim Schaefer who should have know better - motorbikes, rock n roll, biker gangs.

But I think I was 16 when it came out so maybe I was above the target age group

I’m sorry, what?  Are you implying that it’s childish to like a genre of music just because you personally don’t care for it?

That would perhaps be the most juvenile opinion on music that I’ve ever heard.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Well, since somebody has dug up this thread, I might as well confess, too.

-Though Lucas Arts games are less frustrating, I consider the settings of Sierra adventures more interesting. Therefore, I’d rather have an adventure developer I can call the new Sierra instead of a new Lucas Arts.

-Usually I can’t get into Myst-likes. I’m probably too stupid for some of the mechanical puzzles, and the worlds are so empty. But I love them when they’re horror themed.

-I don’t like real-time adventures like The Last Express. I hate being rushed in my games.

-I enjoyed Moebius: Empire Rising.

-I really like Broken Sword 4 and enjoy the hacking puzzles.

-If an adventure doesn’t motivate me enough, I rather play it with a walkthrough than quit.

-Even though I’m a little Jane Jensen fangirl, I thought Gabriel Knight 2 was boring and the worst part of the series

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top