• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ingmar - 13 January 2014 04:44 AM

I just haven’t seen anything in their work that adds something to the genre that hasn’t been done before.

No need for that, in my book. I mean - of course it would be great it a new game came along that introduces original things in the interface, puzzles… but it still needs to be a GOOD game! I’d rather a good game that does nothing new, than experimental heap of crap.

Call of Duty 2, 3 ,4… did nothing new in the genre (run and use various weapons), yet they were always regarded as the best FPS games.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

diego - 13 January 2014 05:47 AM

No need for that, in my book.

I know what you mean and that’s totally alright.It’s a question of preferences. Thing is (very short version): I’m not a traditionalist and I’m longing for new experiences.

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I think the character art for The Last Express is really ugly.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ingmar - 13 January 2014 06:10 AM

I know what you mean and that’s totally alright.It’s a question of preferences. Thing is (very short version): I’m not a traditionalist and I’m longing for new experiences.

I too understand what you’re saying, but I wasn’t really speaking about “traditionalism” - I thought The Last Express is a great game, and it did everything different, because it was good! It’s not that adventure gamers need to be purist, it’s just - Battlefield 2 did NOTHING new in the genre and it got the highest praises. Starcraft 2 is completely based on real-time strategy elements introduced by Dune. Assassin Creed’s 1 did Tomb Raider and Thief game mechanics. GTA 2, 3, 4… well, you get the idea.

So, while I understand your crave for “new experiences”, I don’t think it comes from different game mechanics/new things (but it could!), but rather as a blend of all little things that make the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Ingmar - 13 January 2014 04:44 AM

7. The Dig and Loom are my favorite Lucas games by far.

QFA (Quoted for awesome.)

Those are right at the top of my list, too (though I have to include Fate of Atlantis because it was really a formative game in my life.)

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-12-07

PM

I could never get into Myst.  I tried multiple times.

Not sure if Heavy Rain counts as an Adventure game (more of a movie with QTE’s).  The stupidity of the characters very early on turned me off to the whole story. I’m talking about the part where the child gets lost in the crowded mall and ends up hit by a car….. both the character I was playing and the child were so unbelievably dumb.  I don’t care if a f***ing clown wants me to pay him, in real life I’m going to run, grab my stupid child (and yell at him for being so stupid), then come back and pay the clown.  Sheesh.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

RaindropGames - 13 January 2014 07:03 PM

I could never get into Myst.

I second that. It just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Dag - 13 January 2014 07:06 PM
RaindropGames - 13 January 2014 07:03 PM

I could never get into Myst.

I second that. It just doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Same.

And as soon as I see a review for an adventure game and it mentions it’s similar to Myst I close the page.  No matter how well reviewed it is.

I consider Myst and similar games to be a different genre than the adventure games I like.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

A.A - 13 January 2014 05:40 AM

Telltale’s adventures were pretty great before Back to the Future/Jurassic Park.
But The Wolf Among Us could have been so, so, so much better as a full-bloodied game and world to explore.

I was a huge fan of Sam and Max Hit the Road back in the day, but Telltale’s season 1 of that series disappointed me and I never finished it.

I actually think TWD and The Wolf Among Us is a big step up for them.  I think having no puzzles is better than having boring puzzles.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Detective Mosely - 13 January 2014 07:19 PM

I consider Myst and similar games to be a different genre than the adventure games I like.

That’s because they ARE a different genre.  I wish people would recognize that more often.  Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Detective Mosely - 13 January 2014 07:36 PM

I was a huge fan of Sam and Max Hit the Road back in the day, but Telltale’s season 1 of that series disappointed me and I never finished it.

I actually think TWD and The Wolf Among Us is a big step up for them.  I think having no puzzles is better than having boring puzzles.

I suppose that’s one way to look at it.  Wink

Actually, I kind of agree, inasmuch as at least TWD and The Wolf Among Us are clear about what kinds of games they’re trying to be.  Telltale’s Sam & Max games were just not very well written, acted, or designed.  Everything about them was lacking compared to the genius of Hit the Road.  Everything.  90s Lucasarts Telltale is not.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Can’t agree at all with Lambonius. Sam and Max Seasons 2 and 3 were loads of fun. Season 2 peaked with episodes 4 and 5 which were a brilliant pay-off story-wise for everything that came before it, and I think it’s worthwhile to play season 1, just to get the most out of season 2. Season 3 though was where Sam and Max excelled in terms of gameplay, even if the story suffered a bit in comparison to season 2.

I prefer the latter two seasons of Telltale’s games to Hit the Road. I’d say Hit the Road is probably LucasArts most overrated adventure game.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

A.A - 13 January 2014 10:38 PM

I’d say Hit the Road is probably LucasArts most overrated adventure game.

Eek.  I think it’s by far the funniest adventure game ever made.

The Monkey Island series is LucasArts’ most overrated.  Yum

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Detective Mosely - 13 January 2014 07:36 PM

That’s really surprising. Can you put into words what was missing? I was simply in love with Telltale when I saw what a good job (I thought) they did resurrecting the franchise.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I can put into words what was missing: just about everything that made Steve Purcell’s original writing of those characters witty and charming.  Not to mention the replacement of the legendary Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson (probably the single best adventure game voice acting I’ve ever heard) with the bland, lifeless actors of Telltale’s version.  Hit the Road felt like the original Sam & Max comics come to life.  The humor and wit was absolutely spot on true to the tone of the comics, both the original comics (collected in Surfin’ the Highway) and the Adventurer shorts (also collected in Surfin’ the Highway. Wink) Telltale’s felt more like the watered down Saturday morning cartoon episodes—far too childish and too reliant on bland, predictable, Looney Tunes-esque gags.  Absolutely everything that the comics and Hit the Road were, Telltale’s games weren’t.  They were just utterly terrible if you were looking for anything like the original source material.  Though I do agree that Season 3 was the least bad.  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top