• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-06-08

PM

LittleRose - 13 February 2019 07:06 AM
juss - 13 February 2019 06:13 AM
Jabod - 12 February 2019 09:44 AM

It was a book long before it was a film folks and libraries existed long before the internet Smile

Congrats on the whole reading thing.  Your mum must be proud.

You should try reading books once in a while. It’ll open your mind.

Really?  Thanks for the tip.  I’m a bit bummed they didn’t teach me that on my librarianship masters, might have been useful to know.

And yes, I’ve read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  Just didn’t feel the need to brag about it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

juss - 13 February 2019 07:10 AM

And yes, I’ve read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  Just didn’t feel the need to brag about it.

He wasn’t, he was just informing people that the film was (loosely) based on a book.
Not everyone knows that about Blade Runner. Especially since the novel has a vastly different title.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-06-08

PM

zobraks - 13 February 2019 07:10 AM

I’ve heard that reading thing is all the rage lately.
I must try it some day myself (as soon as I learn all the letters, that is).

I thought that reading died with Infocom Frown

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

TimovieMan - 13 February 2019 07:17 AM

He wasn’t, he was just informing people that the film was (loosely) based on a book.
Not everyone knows that about Blade Runner. Especially since the novel has a vastly different title.

Indeed. In fact the film’s title came from an entirely different novel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bladerunner

From what I remember they had the rights to both, and stuck the title from one onto an adaptation of the other.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

What are you on about!?

I was pointing out that the book came long before the film and hadn’t been mentioned.
With you having a librarianship masters I’d have thought you’d be pleased someone was highlighting the existence of the book.
And by your somewhat circuitous thinking you should have also had a dig at those for bragging about watching the film.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Hey where are the confessions at? :p

I do think Blade Runner is one of the best adventure/mystery games of all time. Maybe even the best game based on a movie.

I confess I never understood how the VK test works though. Don’t know if there’s a trick to it or if it’s just completely random. I just always click buttons at random until there’s a result.

Joined 2008-06-08

PM

Jabod - 13 February 2019 09:21 AM

I was pointing out that the book came long before the film and hadn’t been mentioned.
With you having a librarianship masters I’d have thought you’d be pleased someone was highlighting the existence of the book.
And by your somewhat circuitous thinking you should have also had a dig at those for bragging about watching the film.

Not quite sure of your logic.  Everytime someone mentions a movie based on a book in passing conversation I don’t say “Don’t forget the book kids ... and by the way, libraries existed before the internet!”  I found your comment a bit patronising so I called it out.  Apparently I read your intention incorrectly - in which case I apologise.

Also, it’s both one of my favourite movies and only kinda loosely based on the book, anyway.  It speaks for itself.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

juss - 13 February 2019 09:44 AM

Not quite sure of your logic.  Everytime someone mentions a movie based on a book in passing conversation I don’t say “Don’t forget the book kids ... and by the way, libraries existed before the internet!”  I found your comment a bit patronising so I called it out.  Apparently I read your intention incorrectly - in which case I apologise.

Also, it’s both one of my favourite movies and only kinda loosely based on the book, anyway.  It speaks for itself.

The logic is very simple - really.
There was an ongoing conversation about the game Blade Runner and there followed a couple of references about the film that existed prior to the game. Perfectly reasonable thing to do in context of the conversation. As the book, the progenitor of both, hadn’t been mentioned I thought I’d cheerfully add it in to the mix. As others have already said the book, because of it’s different title, might not be known about by everyone who either posts or reads here. If I wanted to boast about something it wouldn’t be because I’d read that book. Oh no. I’d be showing off that not only was I aware of the book The Man In The High Castle I’ve actually read it, although many years ago. Didn’t enjoy it either Smile

Anyway.
Apology cheerfully accepted and I’ll say no more about it.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

Jabod - 13 February 2019 09:54 AM

Apology cheerfully accepted and I’ll say no more about it.

Are you running away from what you called me earlier, citizen? You seem to be afraid to call out others for daring to say that the movie was LOOSELY BASED… huh, interesting indeed.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

There really is no need for all of this i.e. an attack on a member here who ‘dared’ to mention a book came first.
It doesn’t really matter whether the director read the book or the developer made the game on the back of the film from a book by a developer who didn’t read the book - the fact of the matter is that if a game turns up with some reference to a film that leads back to a book it’s no matter how much of that literary work has been read or reflected on in the finished product, the game developer’s/film director’s success is on the back of SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA! 

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

chrissie - 13 February 2019 12:02 PM

There really is no need for all of this i.e. an attack on a member here who ‘dared’ to mention a book came first.

He was ‘attacked’ for his shitty attitude, citizen.

McCoy97 - 13 February 2019 09:40 AM

Hey where are the confessions at? :p

Here, mutie: The ending ruined an otherwise great experience that was the 1st Syberia. It should’ve been up to the player if they wanted her to go back or to keep up with the crazies.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Judge Dredd - 13 February 2019 12:13 PM
chrissie - 13 February 2019 12:02 PM

He was ‘attacked’ for his shitty attitude, citizen.

He was far politer than you & expressed himself without being a complete ‘LUVVIE’  Smile

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

chrissie - 13 February 2019 12:21 PM

He was far politer than you

I’ll be the Judge of that, female.

Joe Dredd: But they are barely the same thing, cadet. Not unlike Heinlein’s vs. Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers.

Perp: Whatever your strange, deluded, mind “thinks”.

Joe Dredd: Much like Verhoeven, Ridley Scott barely read the original source and adapted it as he saw fit, nearly creating an altogether different beast: [Gives Source] I’m sorry cadet but I’m flunking you; and I hereby sentence you to summer school too for disrespecting a Senior Judge.

Perp: It must be fun being 10 years old. I could point out a couple of things that highlight that you don’t know what you’re talking about but I doubt that you have the intellect to understand them.

No.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Judge Dredd - 13 February 2019 12:41 PM
chrissie - 13 February 2019 12:21 PM

He was far politer than you

Your’re in no position to be a judge here Judge Dredd

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Judge Dredd - 13 February 2019 12:41 PM

No, I’ll be the Judge of that. In here, I am the Law!

This annoying, repetitive and tiresome Dredd shtick has gone on long enough. Your constant aggressive attitude is not desirable, and I hereby sentence you to lifelong banishment.
Go troll somewhere else.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top