• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Wow there’s a lot of GK talk in here. Pretty surprised that so many people hate GK3.

My confessions:

I think GK3 is one of the greatest games ever made. Love everything about it. Great story, characters, voice acting, music and one of the best atmospheres in any adventure game. I even love the rough graphics and I never had an issue with the controls or interface. I for one loved the switch to 3D, ugly or not. Still love the game as much today as I did when I first played it. Maybe even more now that I’m older.

I’ve never played a Myst game and don’t intent to. Same with Leisure Suit Larry and King’s Quest (only played the latest episodic one).

Also never played some real classics such as Day of the Tentacle and Indiana Jones etc. Only started Fate of Atlantis for the playthrough on here but haven’t finished it yet lol.

Telltale’s Jurassic Park is actually pretty damn good. The worst Telltale series I’ve played is probably Back to the Future. Didn’t like it that much.

When I bought Blade Runner I thought it was some sort of shooter or action game (which was what I was looking for). Only realized it was a point and clicker when I got home and played it. Was disappointed at first but the game ended up being great and it’s still one of my favourites today. It was the game that really got me into the genre.

Fun fact: never even heard of the Blade Runner movie when I bought the game. Only found out later that the game was based on some movie with the same name haha. Some parts of the game at the time didn’t make sense because of that Grin The movie was pretty rare in my country back then but finally got to watch it a couple of years after beating the game. Which ofc cleared up all the questions I had about the game lol.

Monkey Island 4 was the first one I played. Again, similar to Blade Runner, never heard of the series before that. Loved the game so had to play the rest. MI3 was next followed by the first 2 and finally Tales. MI3 remains the best.

To continue with that theme haha, I’ve played Telltale’s Sam and Max before the original game. Played Discworld Noir before the first 2 games and played GK3 before GK1 and 2. :p

Was lucky enough to find the collectors combo edition of GK1+2 which came with the Sins of the Fathers novel. I’ve never read it because I don’t read haha. I still have the book though. Gathering dust somewhere..

Broken Sword 4 got a lot of hate but I loved it. Much better than 3 which I think is by far the worst in the series. Still like 3 though but it’s just ok compared to the rest.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-06-08

PM

Judge Dredd - 10 February 2019 03:42 PM

2) The Life is Strange products are an aberration. The main gimmicky mechanic even lacked any forethought from the devs, making every appallingly written character unphased by Teleportation.

IF someone has any complaints, please file them under my right fist.

My problem is I can’t give two hoots about “choice simulators”.  You might let a character get hit by a ball or you might not.  errrr so?  You can choose to save Chloe or you can not?  Either way the game is gonna end and I’ll get an ending; if it’s well enough written I’ll want to go back and watch the other ending anyway so why does it matter which I choose.  I wish game devs would stop trying to substitute gameplay or story with choices - that’s mostly a waste of my time.  I did like the time travel mechanic but for the most part there were very few puzzles or they hadn’t been thought through that well.

That said, the story was well written, engaging, nicely put together and had a lot of heart.  I enjoyed that aspect of it quite a bit.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

McCoy97 - 11 February 2019 07:21 AM

Fun fact: never even heard of the Blade Runner movie when I bought the game. Only found out later that the game was based on some movie with the same name haha.

That’s it, lawbreaker! Banishing you to the Cursed Earth is too good for a half-hume perp like yourself; it’s the Titan Penal Colony for you!!

juss - 11 February 2019 09:49 AM

My problem is I can’t give two hoots about “choice simulators”.  You might let a character get hit by a ball or you might not.  errrr so?

I wish game devs would stop trying to substitute gameplay or story with choices - that’s mostly a waste of my time. 

That said, the story was well written, engaging, nicely put together and had a lot of heart.  I enjoyed that aspect of it quite a bit.

The product proudly flashes that our decisions matter, only to then show right from the get go that that’s not the case. If a product fails to deliver on its main promise then it’s not a success in my Book of Laws.

A couple of middle-aged Quebecois giving us such gems as “gawd I’m such a photonerd” from those hella juves that “can’t wait to wawtch sum moar dawcumentaries on dis bad boi” while at the same time failing to build a coherent time-traveling mechanic is imo anything but a well written, etc. experience. And Chloe has to be the worst character ever in an AG.

Therefore, you’re getting my left fist for those opinions. Hold still, citizen.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

McCoy97 - 11 February 2019 07:21 AM

I think GK3 is one of the greatest games ever made. Love everything about it. Great story, characters, voice acting, music and one of the best atmospheres in any adventure game. I even love the rough graphics and I never had an issue with the controls or interface. I for one loved the switch to 3D, ugly or not. Still love the game as much today as I did when I first played it. Maybe even more now that I’m older.

Well said! I loved the game from the first minutes, it was just so polished, atmospheric, epic, full of history, mystery and good writing, I was sure everyone loved it too. Only years later I read that people actually had multiple issues with it: they hated graphics, hated Gabe and his jokes, they were offended by religious themes, they cursed the cat mustache puzzle for “killing the adventure genre” and so on. I thought we played different games, replayed GK3 and loved it even more. No idea what the fuss is all about, I thought Jensen’s team did a tremendous amount of work and created an all-time classic.

And I also played Blade Runner before learning about the movie which led to a weird, but still unforgettable experience.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

My excuse is I was still a kid in ‘97. This was before we had internet and before dvds so I just never knew about the movie back then. As far as I know Blade Runner was one of the first movies to be released on dvd so that’s when I first saw it, but only maybe a couple of years after playing the game.

And yeah GK3 is one of those games I play at least once every year or two. Never get tired of it and nowadays it hits me right in the nostalgia whenever I do another playthrough. Never understood the issue a lot of people have with that cat puzzle.

Definitely one of my all time favorite adventures

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

It was a book long before it was a film folks and libraries existed long before the internet Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

McCoy97 - 12 February 2019 09:33 AM

Never understood the issue a lot of people have with that cat puzzle.

I often find myself wondering the same thing regarding Still Life’s cooking puzzle. Indeed, it’s one of the easiest out there and yet citizens abhor it.

Jabod - 12 February 2019 09:44 AM

It was a book long before it was a film folks and libraries existed long before the internet Smile

But they are barely the same thing, cadet. Not unlike Heinlein’s vs. Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Judge Dredd - 12 February 2019 10:00 AM

But they are barely the same thing, cadet. Not unlike Heinlein’s vs. Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers.

Whatever your strange, deluded, mind “thinks”.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

Jabod - 12 February 2019 11:51 AM

Much like Verhoeven, Ridley Scott barely read the original source and adapted it as he saw fit, nearly creating an altogether different beast:

R. Scott: I honestly couldn’t get into it. It’s so dense, by page 32 there’s about 17 story lines. So one of the problems is distilling it down into a three-act play that can be filmed. (...) Deeley came to see me when I was mixing Alien and said, “Do you want to do another science fiction?” I said, “I don’t really want to go down that route if I can avoid it.” But, to cut a long story short, eight months later, the script stayed with me. So I went back to Deeley saying, “You know, we can expand this into something spectacular if we push it outside onto the street and create a futuristic urban universe.” (...) But at the end of the day, there’s a lot of me in this script. That’s what happens, because that’s the kind of director I am.

Source

I’m sorry cadet but I’m flunking you; and I hereby sentence you to summer school too for disrespecting a Senior Judge.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Judge Dredd - 12 February 2019 01:31 PM
Jabod - 12 February 2019 11:51 AM

Much like Verhoeven, Ridley Scott barely read the original source and adapted it as he saw fit, nearly creating an altogether different beast:

R. Scott: I honestly couldn’t get into it. It’s so dense, by page 32 there’s about 17 story lines. So one of the problems is distilling it down into a three-act play that can be filmed. (...) Deeley came to see me when I was mixing Alien and said, “Do you want to do another science fiction?” I said, “I don’t really want to go down that route if I can avoid it.” But, to cut a long story short, eight months later, the script stayed with me. So I went back to Deeley saying, “You know, we can expand this into something spectacular if we push it outside onto the street and create a futuristic urban universe.” (...) But at the end of the day, there’s a lot of me in this script. That’s what happens, because that’s the kind of director I am.

Source

I’m sorry cadet but I’m flunking you; and I hereby sentence you to summer school too for disrespecting a Senior Judge.

It must be fun being 10 years old. I could point out a couple of things that highlight that you don’t know what you’re talking about but I doubt that you have the intellect to understand them.

And you’re not amusing in the slightest.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

I’m sure you could. One thing’s for sure, though: you’ll never go far with that Daystick up your butt, cadet.

Now, move along. Loitering is a serious offense.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-06-08

PM

Congrats on the whole reading thing.  Your mum must be proud.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

juss - 13 February 2019 06:13 AM

As my mother is deceased your point is irrelevant.

And talk about taking comments out of context! I can only think that, for some reason, you felt threatened by my post. I’ll leave you to ponder that.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

juss - 13 February 2019 06:13 AM

You should try reading books once in a while. It’ll open your mind.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’ve heard that reading thing is all the rage lately.
I must try it some day myself (as soon as I learn all the letters, that is).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top