• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Confessions

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

cyfoyjvx - 18 November 2018 05:56 AM

Well it’s been 20 years since GK3 (Happy Birthday!!!)

...and still no developer has improved on or even sought to replicate the fantastic interface.

Why? Surely this is one of the biggest mysteries of the adventure gaming universe?

The interface of GK3 (one of my two favorite games of all time) is indeed fantastic, but hardly intuitive. I remember how bad I thought it was before learning to use the free roaming function of the camera together with the escape key to their full advantage. Once that became second nature it became the best adventure game interface ever.

Anyway; happy birthday GK3! Maybe it’s time for the seventh or eight playthrough to celebrate.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

LittleRose - 19 November 2018 05:08 PM

Well, since somebody has dug up this thread, I might as well confess, too.

-Though Lucas Arts games are less frustrating, I consider the settings of Sierra adventures more interesting. Therefore, I’d rather have an adventure developer I can call the new Sierra instead of a new Lucas Arts.

-Usually I can’t get into Myst-likes. I’m probably too stupid for some of the mechanical puzzles, and the worlds are so empty. But I love them when they’re horror themed.

-I don’t like real-time adventures like The Last Express. I hate being rushed in my games.

-I enjoyed Moebius: Empire Rising.

-I really like Broken Sword 4 and enjoy the hacking puzzles.

-If an adventure doesn’t motivate me enough, I rather play it wi Expressth a walkthrough than quit.

-Even though I’m a little Jane Jensen fangirl, I thought Gabriel Knight 2 was boring and the worst part of the series

I’m also guilty of all those sins including Moebius, The Last Express and Gabriel Knight 2, only I usually watch a youtube playthrough or just delete the game as soon as I lose interest. Also I love Riven which is a quintessential Myst, but I played it before every other Myst-like game, so my expectations were already too high.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

-Even though I’m a little Jane Jensen fangirl, I thought Gabriel Knight 2 was boring and the worst part of the series

That one is pretty surprising.  Did you play it when it came out or years after its release?

I don’t think it’s quite as good as GK1, mainly due to gameplay limitations, but I think it probably has the best overall plot in the series.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I played it a lot later. I was going to play it when GK3 was quite new, but we got a broken copy. It always crashed when Gabe looked at his luggage, so I played the GoG versioen many years later.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Detective Mosely - 20 November 2018 09:04 PM

That one is pretty surprising.  Did you play it when it came out or years after its release?

I don’t think it’s quite as good as GK1, mainly due to gameplay limitations, but I think it probably has the best overall plot in the series.

FWIW, I played all three GK games when they were released (and have replayed them multiple times since), and GK2 is by far my least favourite. The awful, awful acting (especially Gabriel being essentially a completely different person compared to game 1) pretty much ruined it for me. The limp gameplay and dodgy puzzles didn’t help either. And don’t get me started on all the soap opera stuff with Gerde. Blegh.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Kurufinwe - 21 November 2018 09:51 AM
Detective Mosely - 20 November 2018 09:04 PM

FWIW, I played all three GK games when they were released (and have replayed them multiple times since), and GK2 is by far my least favourite. The awful, awful acting (especially Gabriel being essentially a completely different person compared to game 1) pretty much ruined it for me. The limp gameplay and dodgy puzzles didn’t help either. And don’t get me started on all the soap opera stuff with Gerde. Blegh.

It definitely had some weak points.  The Grace / Gerde scenes were especially dumb.  But the scenes with the hunt club members in particular were the best acting I had ever seen in a video game up until that point in time.

And personally I’ve never understood the hatred for Dean Erickson’s acting.  Gabe feels different, but he’s also living in a foreign country where he doesn’t understand the language and he’s still scarred by the events at the end of GK1.  It makes sense for him to be a lot more reserved and to doubt himself more.  His acting wasn’t great (which admittedly, you do kind of expect from the lead actor), but it’s not bad acting either.  And that’s more than I can say for Grace and some of the side characters.

I understand not liking GK2 more if you played it later as I’ve heard others that played it for the first time recently say it hasn’t aged well.  But as a fan of GK already before it came out, as a 14 year old boy, I absolutely loved it.  It clicked with me more than GK3 or even GK1 my first time through.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Detective Mosely - 21 November 2018 08:24 PM

I understand not liking GK2 more if you played it later as I’ve heard others that played it for the first time recently say it hasn’t aged well.  But as a fan of GK already before it came out, as a 14 year old boy, I absolutely loved it.  It clicked with me more than GK3 or even GK1 my first time through.

I played it after GK 1 and 3 (and I equally enjoyed both despite there are many complaints about Gabe’s character from the 3rd game), so that might affected me, although I wouldn’t say it aged that much. The things that put me off were also the pacing and the leading actors. I have nothing against goofy acting in general (like in Tex Murphy), but those two felt really out of place. Erickson with his smile and lazy talk looked like he didn’t care about anything and the Japanese actress was so overdramatic, always being frustrated and irritated by something. The game was also too linear, required clicking every hotspot and finishing every daily task (which consisted of walking/talking 80% of the time). It’s cool that Jensen tried different game mechanics for each game, but I don’t think GK2 benefited from the FMV limitations.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Doom - 21 November 2018 09:28 PM

I don’t think GK2 benefited from the FMV limitations.

It didn’t.  The gameplay is the weakest part.  (after GK1 was fantastic in that regard)

But it’s still the best FMV game ever made.  And personally I tend to enjoy FMV adventure games.  With it being a GK game on top of that, it’s right in my wheelhouse.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Detective Mosely - 21 November 2018 10:13 PM

But it’s still the best FMV game ever made.  And personally I tend to enjoy FMV adventure games.  With it being a GK game on top of that, it’s right in my wheelhouse.

I can’t let that go by Smile

It’s obviously subjective but GK2 the best FMV AG? What have you been smoking Gasp

Pandora and UaKM were light years better as were X-Files and Black Dahlia.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked GK2 (and, unlike many here, thought it better than GK1 and GK3) but it pales dramatically compared to the 4 above.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Jabod - 22 November 2018 06:42 AM

I can’t let that go by :)

It’s obviously subjective but GK2 the best FMV AG? What have you been smoking :O

Pandora and UaKM were light years better as were X-Files and Black Dahlia.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked GK2 (and, unlike many here, thought it better than GK1 and GK3) but it pales dramatically compared to the 4 above.

Strongly disagree. But I think all three GK-games are among the best ever, all categories. I can understand that people have problems with stuff like the acting but the puzzles? Really? Well, each to their own.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Jabod - 22 November 2018 06:42 AM

I can’t let that go by Smile

It’s obviously subjective but GK2 the best FMV AG? What have you been smoking Gasp

Okay, I guess I shouldn’t have stated that as a fact.  But it’s widely been claimed to be such.  It’s rated the #3 adventure game all time on Adventure Gamers’ #100 list, and the next FMV game is at #9.  Next after that is #23.  Many people share my opinion on that one.

Also while we’re talking about who is smoking what, after you just listed the X-Files game as being among the games that are lightyears ahead of it, I have to wonder that myself.  Tongue

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

Don’t have any confessions, but I do have some unpopular opinions, which I guess are what you’re looking for?

- I didn’t see anything special in the monkey island series. (Liked it, but not above and beyond)

- I never much liked the Broken Sword series, and couldn’t get in to Gabriel Knight at all. (Ended up watching a let’s play of that)

- I like modern walking simulators but dislike both movie simulators (like the newer telltales) and point&click; simulators (aka point&click; adventure games with barely any puzzles). (The individual opinions aren’t unpopular, but the combination is, I think)

- I couldn’t get into any of the king/space quests except for 7 and 6 respectively (this is only an unpopular opinion because most people who can’t get into sierra-style games didn’t bother playing their two poorly-reviewed “lucas-style” ones.)

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

namehaver - 23 November 2018 09:43 PM

- I didn’t see anything special in the monkey island series. (Liked it, but not above and beyond)

Hand over your badge and Daystick, disillusioned Judge. You are clearly long overdue for the desk job or… The Long Walk.

1) LeChuck’s Revenge gave us the perfect ending to the Monkey Island ride; any games after it are to be ignored.

2) The Life is Strange products are an aberration. The main gimmicky mechanic even lacked any forethought from the devs, making every appallingly written character unphased by Teleportation.

IF someone has any complaints, please file them under my right fist.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Judge Dredd - 10 February 2019 03:42 PM

2) The Life is Strange products are an aberration. The main gimmicky mechanic even lacked any forethought from the devs, making every appallingly written character unphased by Teleportation.

IF someone has any complaints, please file them under my right fist.

I considered Life is Strange to be quite worthy & since I would like to make a complaint please direct me to the location of ‘under my right fist’.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

chrissie - 10 February 2019 04:03 PM

I would like to make a complaint please direct me to the location of ‘under my right fist’.

Try and hold still, citizen; the aforementioned fist is on its way to grab it from your very mug.

Although, it can still change its course if you supply it with a proper reason as to why none of the characters bat an eye when Max pops right in front of them out of thin air—and why that doesn’t ruin the game all by itself.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top