• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Help me ID some adventure games I barely remember? 

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

So in the late 90s I had a subscription to PC gamer, and occasionally there would be features and reviews of adventure games that seemed interesting, but which I never ever came across in the wild. And now enough time has passed that I’ve forgotten all the details about them. So help a guy out?

First game, I believe was some kind of full 3D game set in a post apocalyptic future where the sun has been blocked out. Probably by nuclear war. I think it might have been titled something like Dead Earth, or Dark Earth. I also may not be 100% sure it was 100% anadventure game. But I could have swore it was. Probably from around 1998 or 1999.

Second I believe is called Dog Days. And I believe it was a first person prerendered Myst style game about anthropomorphic dogs. I recall it getting an okay review in the magazine, and having a demo on the bundled cd. But every time I tried to install and run it, it never worked. I’m mostly trying to confirm its title and existence. Probably from 1997-1998.

Third game wasn’t one I found in PC Gamer, rather this one I watched a friend play once. It was a futuristic first person prerendered affair with a city over run by robots. I possibly recall a puzzle involving rewriting a robot. I could have swore the game was called City of Robots but that seems unlikely.  Probably saw it played between 1996 and 1998.

If any of these seems familiar I’d appreciate the help!

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dark Earth (1997), action-adventure.
Dogday (1998). Didn’t like it much. A terrible maze which you have to traverse three times. I wouldn’t call it Myst-like, although it is 1st-person.
Robot City (1995). Not bad, good story.

There are no reviews of these games at AG. Check out mobygames.com or http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/index.php.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Karlok - 21 December 2013 11:11 PM

Dark Earth (1997), action-adventure.
Dogday (1998). Didn’t like it much. A terrible maze which you have to traverse three times. I wouldn’t call it Myst-like, although it is 1st-person.
Robot City (1995). Not bad, good story.

There are no reviews of these games at AG. Check out mobygames.com or http://www.pagodagamedatabase.com/index.php

Phew. Its good to know I’m not crazy sometimes. So Dark Earth is more along the lines of Resident Evil then, interesting.

Robot City looks like it might be worth a track down sometime. I enjoy me some Asimov. (someone should make a Caves of Steel adventure game…)

Thanks!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Welcome back Jim.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Truthfully I never really left (adventure game playing that is). I just never bothered to join Adventure Gamers to talk about it. I was active on MixNmojo a life time ago but then I sort of stopped going to genre specific forums. But thanks for the welcome! This place seems nice.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It has been ages since I played Dark Earth but I want to remember that there was an actual story with dialog trees so I wouldn’t exactly refer to it as an “Resident Evil clone”. Feels like I should give it a replay soon.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top