• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielJdawg445Undefinedwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I played it when it was first released a year ago and thought it a great Ace Attorney game, and not that good a Layton game. The court sections are easier than usual (because it’s aimed at a slightly different public), but Takumi Shuu’s script, and all the new elements (mob questioning, dynamic camera work, magic and the accompanying rules) really make this something special.

The Layton parts however are not even close to the main series, with few puzzle patterns (which repeat often) and nothing new; it’s just Layton, just not as good.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sounds good enough to me!
I like Ace Attorney a lot more than Layton anyway. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

TimovieMan - 19 December 2013 06:43 AM

Sounds good enough to me!
I like Ace Attorney a lot more than Layton anyway. Tongue

Aye, of the two I’d definitely prefer Ace Attorney adhered to more than Layton.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I also prefer Ace Attorney but the investigation part is usually the most boring part with not a lot to do except go to the right places. Mixing it up with Layton puzzles could make it more fun, too bad it doesn’t seem to go well in here.

Anyway, very hyped for this.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I wonder what Shu Takumi in working on now. Another Ghost Trick would be great but I doubt it.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Ghost Trick was a phenomenal game, but it didn’t do well commercially, so I doubt we’ll see anything quite like it return.

I really enjoyed Dual Destinies, but they’ve streamlined the Investigation portions - admittedly, always the weakest points in the original games anyway - to such an extent, you’re often just pressing a button to advance text. I guess these sequences were typically the points where players would get stuck - I know I had a couple of occasions where an overlooked item halted my progress - but they’ve been oversimplified to the point of no actual fun. Fortunately the Courtroom sequences tend to save the day.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ghost Trick sold 320,000 physical copies which is in line with the 360,000 physical copies sold of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.

Both games also sold very well as downloads, Ghost Trick on the ipad and Dual Destinies in North America via Nintendo’s eshop.

Ghost Trick won many awards, including Nintendo’s “Game of the Year” award for the Nintendo DS.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game is coming out next week in Europe. I still have not finished the latest Layton but I’m going to put that on hold to play this one, it sounds more refreshing.

Some reviews:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-18-professor-layton-vs-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-review
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/professor_layton_vs_phoenix_wright_review.html

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Crap, I’m lagging behind. Still have Miracle Mask to complete and Dual Destinies and Azran Legacy to play before tackling this…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 19 March 2014 07:26 AM

Crap, I’m lagging behind. Still have Miracle Mask to complete and Dual Destinies and Azran Legacy to play before tackling this…

You could jump straight to this one after Miracle Mask, after all, it was released first in Japan.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Booya, it’s out in Australia and I have my copy. I had almost forgotten this was out in March since the only promotion I’ve seen are brief trailers in EB Games.

Anyway, this game is the reason I bought the 3DS. The localisation was up in the air for a while but Level-5 delivered… thanks!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Amazing crossover, production values and OST.

I was burnt out with layton and Ace but this is something else, really refreshing.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I’ve been looking at 3DS’s again, I really want this game, the new ace attorney and the Zero Escape game. I’ve been putting it off til there are few more games I want, but still…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Having a US 3DS (even though I’m back in Europe now), I can’t even begin to express how much I hate Nintendo and their fucked up region locking policy right now. I want to play the game so bad.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top