• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDaleIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Contradiction - Live-action video based adventure game

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hey Tim,
Good to see you posting here, Huge fan of your Music Heart ...You among Wise,
Jesper are oldschool Icons, cant get your tunes out of my head.

Hope to see you returning in some game where you can use your Full
Music potential again.

And Congrats on meeting your Goal.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Grats for the successful funding! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2013-12-15

PM

Thank you!  And thanks for the very kind compliments nomadsoul!  I will be writing all the music for this too, and I’m also writing some stuff for a friend’s app, so actually I’m finding myself slipping back into it at the moment!

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2013-08-18

PM

Hi Tim, I know this thread is super old, but I didn’t see any other threads on here about “Contradiction”. I just wanted to say that I bought this game on Steam and really loved it, great concept and riveting until the end. I can’t wait for more games in this vein.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I enjoyed it too, it was great FMV game fix with great acting in that budget.
Give it a try.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Has anyone played this? It was apparently made on quite a low budget via Kickstarter despite having FMV sequences featuring live actors including the notable Paul Darrow who in his role I found so appropriately ‘nasty’ .

I started playing the game a few months ago, got distracted & then picked up on it in the last couple of days which I found easier to continue with than I thought. 
On now finishing I thought the investigation into the apparent suicide of a student was a very engaging experience. The game’s quite linear & yes, very formulaic but the mystery was a fascinating one with the main challenge in the game trying to ‘trip-up’ the people through (wacky) Detective Jenks interviews of them by finding contradictions in what they said which got harder as you progressed.  But also the philosophy of a ‘skills-life’ course was interesting + the accusations of more ‘extreme practises’ used but not tied up (which didn’t matter for the conclusion of the story) leave it open for a sequel which I’m hoping for. I for one liked the ending of the game!   

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I merged all three Contradiction threads. And I’m bumping this on my list of games to play. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 24 November 2015 03:13 PM

I merged all three Contradiction threads. And I’m bumping this on my list of games to play. Cool

Thanks Tim!: tup: I did try a search for the game to make sure I wasn’t repeating but nothing came up! It’s a game that very much deserves not to disappear under the radar - it’s available from Steam (yeah I know not everyone likes Steam - neither do I prefer that option but if you want a game…) but the game’s well worth trying! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Finally bought this and I really like it so far! I have never seen this on sale (on any platform) but it seems that 10€ was money well spent. Charming characters, good fmv acting and nice classic murder mystery theme. Like Chrissie said in distant past: game`s well worth trying Smile

Hopefully we`ll see a sequel someday with a little bit bigger budget. Any rumors? At the moment steamspy says that Contradiction has 23 924 owners.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just LOVED this game - great fun. I played it several times.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Contradiction - 3/5

Finally got around to playing this.
It’s a solid FMV murder mystery that unfortunately, due to its budget constraints, leaves quite a few threads hanging at the end. This makes for a lacklustre ending to an otherwise very enjoyable game.

It’s great to finally get some FMV games with high quality video, and this one even has some pretty good acting as well. Especially of note is the father-and-son duo of Paul and Ryan Rand, played by Paul Darrow and John Guilor respectively. Paul Darrow gives us a character whose slow and poignant enunciation is often reminiscent of Alan Rickman, and who speaks all lines with a smugness that has to be seen to be believed. John Guilor delivers a more varied but equally campy performance (perhaps my favourite one in the game). They’re both the guys you love to hate, which is a large part of what makes this game fun.
Opposed to this, we have Rupert Booth as DI Jenks who gives us a more goofy and whimsical performance, but who nonetheless also adds to the campy nature of this game. It makes for a compelling, off the wall experience.

The murder mystery itself is quite interesting in its own right, in part because of the Phoenix Wright-style contradictions to find that invariably get you closer to solving the case, and in part because the well fleshed out cult-like Atlas organisation provides a welcome amount of depth.
Sadly, because this was made on a shoestring budget, several plot lines had to be dropped which make the ending feel a bit underwhelming.

Still, I enjoyed the game and ultimately clocked in at over 6 and a half hours, which is a fair length, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I personally found the ending perfect, nothing underwhelming at all. The culprit was a real surprise and it was a satisfying conclusion.

Originality is very important for me, which is why I would rate a game with innovative gameplay mechanics like Contradiction higher than, say, a South Park game which is based wholly on 20 year old JRPGs.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Played this as a party game with a bunch of adventure gamers, and it was great fun. At least in that setting, the (in some cases) over-the-top cheesy acting and occasional absurdities were funny and charming.

I also think the gameplay was generally solid, with a cool Phoenix Wright-ish mechanic and good pacing in unraveling the mystery. Just a couple of “have to walk around randomly to trigger the encounter that will progress the story” moments detract from the design.

I certainly hope it’s been successful enough for Tim F to make another game along the same lines: I would buy it for sure!

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

I really liked this game. The FMV looked so good (great photography, crisp image), and it was probably one of the best directed FMV game’s I’ve played in years—or more. Backtracking aside I had much fun with it and I wish it had faired better with its sales.

The detective actor (Rupert Booth) is also in the “The Shapeshifting Detective” game from the writers of “The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker”. I haven’t played that one yet. The Dr. Dekker one was ok; very interesting idea for the interface, but quite buggy implementation (which was to be expected, their idea was too ambitious for their budget).

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-02-23

PM

I’m glad that this thread was bumped up! Saw someone mention that it was on iOS, bought it, and have been having quite a good time with it since then. (I think one of the reasons why I don’t play that many adventure games these days is that the good ones are mostly on PC, and I don’t spend that much time in front of the computer nowadays.)

A lot of games made for PC and ported onto tablet don’t play very well. This one, perhaps due to its initial design, doesn’t face that issue and fits the mobile format perfectly.

The production values feel very high—wouldn’t have known it was made on a shoestring budget. I’m enjoying the acting, and even the detective doesn’t seem overly campy to me because I know someone in real life who has somewhat similar exaggerated facial expressions (he works with kids a lot; they love it.) Without any news of Ace Attorney 7 on the horizon, it’s great to get more of that kind of gameplay here served in a very different fashion. Perhaps my only minor gripe is how I need to keep randomly checking places I’ve already been to just in case a character decides to show up there, but it’s not a big deal at all.

Very happy to find a great game, even if a few years after the fact. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top