• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

NDF

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In the Love of Roberta Williams

Poll: The biggest hit for Roberta Williams
Total Votes: 94
King’s Quest I: Quest for the Crown
King’s Quest II: Romancing the Throne
King’s Quest III: To Heir Is Human
King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride
Shivers
Laura Bow: The Colonel’s Bequest
Laura Bow in The Dagger of Amon Ra
Phantasmagoria 1

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I do fucking love The Colonel’s Bequest, though.  I just love the silly pun names, the setting on the Bayou… the murder mystery cliches.  I just think it’s a big slice of fun.  It’s cheesy and fun, but damn - it reminds me of that cheesy fun time that was 1989.

Bt

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

this thread i made for the love of Roberta and for else’s who wanna share me this love, so if anyone haven’t anything good at this matter to add, then better Shut the fuck up !

Edit :Lambonius, i see you edited your post to a nice/better perspective, thanks for the good Spirit, i had to edit this too so it sound more general and not directed to any member here

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Blackthorne - 13 June 2013 05:08 PM

I do fucking love The Colonel’s Bequest, though.  I just love the silly pun names, the setting on the Bayou… the murder mystery cliches.  I just think it’s a big slice of fun.  It’s cheesy and fun, but damn - it reminds me of that cheesy fun time that was 1989.

Bt

Hell yeah, man.  And it has some of the best EGA graphics Sierra ever produced.  Love that game.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

@Advie, we don’t want this thread so full-o-love disappear in oblivion, now do we?

But on an unrelated note, I will behave now and shut up Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Lambonius - 13 June 2013 05:10 PM

Bt

Hell yeah, man.  And it has some of the best EGA graphics Sierra ever produced.  Love that game.

It really does - they’re so atmospheric.  The inside of the little church on the property is still one of my favorite backgrounds in a Sierra game. 

Plus, I remember how awesome it was to discover the secret passageways all over that game!

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Blackthorne - 13 June 2013 05:23 PM
Lambonius - 13 June 2013 05:10 PM

Bt

It really does - they’re so atmospheric.  The inside of the little church on the property is still one of my favorite backgrounds in a Sierra game. 

Plus, I remember how awesome it was to discover the secret passageways all over that game!

Bt

I just love all the little details all over every screen.  I remember spending hours typing things like “search vase,” “get flowers”, “look behind painting”, etc. etc. etc. on every fucking screen.  And the wide shot of the mansion is just iconic.

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

If I had to pick one game, I’d go for Phantasmagoria. King’s Quest 6 is probably an even better game, but KQVI Had a lot of Jane Jensen in it, whereas Phantasmagoria is more Roberta—even down to the design flaws.

I have a very weak point for Phantasmagoria. I remember I played the game in 2 days. One night from 9 to 12 am, and then went to school the next day, and I couldn’t wait to get home. I played from like 2 pm to 2 am when I finished it.

In that time, there was really nothing like it. If you want to get academic, the list of cons for the game is probably very big, but just for the sheer fact of how I hyped that game, and the experience I had playing it, it’s Roberta’s masterpiece to me.

I don’t think any other adventure game, past or present, has done anything that even resembles the chase sequence at Chapter 7. That’s to me one of the highlights of my gaming experience through all the years. I couldn’t let go of the mouse, I was sweating through it all, I was glued like nothing else. And when it was all said and done, and the credits roll, I could finally breathe and say “Bravo!”

I showed the game to anyone and everyone that stepped in my room from there on. Phantasmagoria, together with Gabriel Knight 2, spoiled gaming for a while to me. I didn’t get much excitement out of another game until I hit the Final Fantasy series in 98.

I recently go it from GOG. Haven’t played it yet, but regardless of it stood the test of time or not, I will never forget what it made me feel, and for that reason only, it will always be a masterpiece in my eyes.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I would have picked Colonel’s Bequest, as it is her best game IMO, but as it’s not in the list I picked KQ4, which still is my favourite KQ game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 14 June 2013 02:45 AM

I would have picked Colonel’s Bequest, as it is her best game IMO, but as it’s not in the list I picked KQ4, which still is my favourite KQ game.

I find that odd, since before I added them a few hours ago, neither Colonel’s Bequest nor KQ4 were on the list… Wink Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 14 June 2013 06:40 PM
tomimt - 14 June 2013 02:45 AM

I find that odd, since before I added them a few hours ago, neither Colonel’s Bequest nor KQ4 were on the list… Wink Tongue

you are starting be much like Jack , Tim ... work much talk little, i didn’t notice you did it, Thanks man A LOT !!!

i guess tomimt clicked KQ VI as IV , latin numbers can be confusing sometimes

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 14 June 2013 06:49 PM

you are starting be much like Jack , Tim ... work much talk little

All moderating and no beer/play make Timmy… something something Grin

(he does play AVS, though)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Makes Timmy Shiny Shining Sarcastic

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Shinning… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-08-24

PM

Like some others, and as co-author of the old (and in desperate need of an overhaul) colonelsbequest.net website, I voted for Colonel’s Bequest as well.

However, King’s Quest 4 was also a personal favorite back in the day.

Now playing:  Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded (PC) / Starship Damrey (3DS)
Next: A New Beginning (PC),  Alpha Polaris (PC)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Could this be a sign of a new Williamses’ game? Tongue http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xF_INzomp5U (watch first 40 seconds)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top