• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gold Rush remake for late 2014

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sunlight games (Germany) is to remake of the classic Sierra game gold rush in the autumn of 2014! release for the PC ...read more and this

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yikes.  That’s hideous.  You can’t just translate the 16 color AGI palette directly onto 3D models.  A good art director should know better.

Also, I wonder if they’ll remove any of the ridiculous “random chance of dying completely outside of the player’s control” situations that made the original so frustrating.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 12 December 2013 06:01 PM

Yikes.  That’s hideous.  You can’t just translate the 16 color AGI palette directly onto 3D models.  A good art director should know better.

The color palette is the smallest issue on those pics. Those screen shots look very much like beginner 3D modelers work. Everything is low poly, texturing is bland as are the lights. You just don’t slap models in the scene, hit render and wish for the best.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, I agree. The lighting actually looks more convincing in the top photo. I got excited reading the headline, but I honestly think I’d prefer the original over this.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-01-03

PM

I think it looks great! I obviously know nothing about 3d modeling, lighting, etc., and apparently that’s a good thing because it would kinda suck if I wasn’t excited about this right now Smile

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Perfectly acceptable to me.

Not amazing or anything, but sheesh…I’m guessing it’s from a pretty small studio, no?

Just cut ‘em some slack, I say.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The picture Advie posted is the best of the bunch:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

They bothered to secure rights to an ancient Sierra game, yet they didn’t bother to hire good artists? Those cloned shovels…

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

A.A - 13 December 2013 02:13 AM

Not amazing or anything, but sheesh…I’m guessing it’s from a pretty small studio, no?

That quality of art would be fine for a prototype or an early alpha. Not for something you’d parade with in public when announcing your game.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The art quality is, to put it mildly ...disgusting.

And I was so excited when I saw the thread title.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Is it a freeware fan remake? If it is, I’ll cut them some slack, otherwise I’d really be far more excited over a potential GOG release of the original than this remake.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well that text is translated from German to English, but as far I can understand that is a commercial venture. If it’s not, then I’m fine with the graphics. Otherwise, not so much.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

From Wikipedia:

The German game developer Sunlight Games secured the rights and announced a re-release of the original version in early 2014. A remake is also in development and is planned for late 2014/start 2015.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, this is a commercial release.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A.A - 13 December 2013 02:13 AM

^ This.

Granted, it won’t win any beauty contests, but it doesn’t really warrant the criticism, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-11-05

PM

TimovieMan - 13 December 2013 12:25 PM

Granted, it won’t win any beauty contests, but it doesn’t really warrant the criticism, imo.

It could warrant it if they have the ability to realize they’re risking their sales with a largely graphics focused market, maybe they can hire someone else.  Criticism good, Shaming bad.  I’ll get excited on principal because it’s a great game, and the graphics seem decent enough to me so long as this team can program, know what to improve and what to keep the same.  I most absolutely like the sound of this:

“three game control options (the original parser and two new ways of point&click;).” Heart Eyes !!PARSER!!

Anyone know if their other games are alright?

It’s a good sign Activion(?) is still licensing remakes, but hopefully not to the cheapest companies.  I don’t suppose either of the MacNeill’s are involved? 
Here’s hoping it turns out well.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top