• News
  • Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 11 December 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Fool’s Errand (1987) is a rather unique game and definitely worth playing if you like word games and puzzles. There was a sequel released last year called The Fool & His Money as well, though I haven’t played it yet.

Total Posts: 5481

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played the sequel last year, not this one. Mostly difficult word puzzles, too difficult for non-natives, but I enjoyed the rest.

Heart  Heart Eyes Angry  Cry  Embarassed  Smile - Florence

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I played the original on a Mac simulator. I don’t think I’d call it an adventure game, simply because the narrative is so fractured and odd. I did enjoy it, but the sequel was priced exorbitantly last time I checked ($50 or so) so I’m waiting for a sale or something.

Also I could never understand how you’re supposed the puzzles where you need to figure out a button combination to create the right picture.

Total Posts: 5481

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Antrax - 11 December 2013 04:57 AM

the sequel was priced exorbitantly last time I checked ($50 or so) so I’m waiting for a sale or something.

I bought it for $39.95, but I did think twice about it.

Heart  Heart Eyes Angry  Cry  Embarassed  Smile - Florence

Total Posts: 3825

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played both The Fool’s Errand and The Fool and His Money and loved them both despite the fact that I am balder from all the hair pulling.  Cliff Johnson is a devilishly clever puzzle maker and a master of the metapuzzle with all puzzles leading to the final big one, which is a doozy. 

Another terrific game of Cliff’s is 3 in Three, the quest of a feisty #3 who gets bumped off an accounting sheet and into the land of words.  It’s a funny and beautifully designed game, but again, it’s a real brain boggler.

Not only did I fall off the diet wagon, I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy cupcakes.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, I’ve played everything he published except for the latest one - At The Carnival is also not bad, though not as good as the other two. I do admit that for some puzzles in 3 in Three I just programmed a computer to solve it as I couldn’t see a way that wasn’t brute forcing a solution.

Total Posts: 1015

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 11 December 2013 12:15 PM

Another terrific game of Cliff’s is 3 in Three, the quest of a fiesty #3 who gets bumped off an accounting sheet and into the land of words.  It’s a funny and beautifully designed game, but again, it’s a real brain boggler.

I really enjoyed both. Fool’s Errand is a really smart mix of story and puzzles that complement each other. 3 in Three is really funny and inventive, although I think one must be a programmer to fully appreciate it.

Haven’t played Fool and his Money. I read that Cliff Johnson trolled his fans for years by delaying its release date every month or so Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7620

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I played this one over a decade ago. I don’t think I managed to finish it (some of those puzzles were really hard), but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
It’s more a collection of (mostly word) puzzles than an actual game, but don’t let that spoil the fun.

I haven’t bothered with the sequel because of the price, though. The price tag would make me feel like “The Fool and His Money” if I’d bought it… Grin

Now playing: Blade Runner (post-CPT) | The Witcher: Enhance Edition (on hold) | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (on hold) | Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Recently finished: Whispers of a Machine (CPT) - 4/5 | Beneath a Steel Sky (CPT) - 3/5 | 3 in Three - 3.5/5 | Puzzle Gallery: At the Carnival - 2.5/5 | The Fool’s Errand (replay) - 3.5/5 | The Dig (replay) - 4.5/5 | Return of the Obra Dinn (CPT) - 4/5 | Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity - 3.5/5 | League of Light: The Game (CCPT) - 3/5 | realMyst: Masterpiece Edition - 2.5/5 | Contradiction - 3/5 | Tex Murphy: Mean Streets - 2/5 | The Last Express - 3.5/5 | South Park: The Fractured But Whole - 4/5 | Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (replay, CPT) - 5/5

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!