• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckychrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harvester - Most violent and Controversial game

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I came to know about this on youtube, wonder why its not much talked about here.

Extreme gore, violence, bold and crazy story , makes Phantasmagoria and
other AO games like a joke.

But apart from all that game seems really well written and apparently you can
shoot anyone.

So did anyone play it??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvester_(video_game)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s pretty much a lot ado about nothing. Sure, it’s gory and it does it damnest to be offensive, but it also is a poorly done game that turns into weird, clunky beat em up game in the end. And the writing is pretty poor as well.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Actually, it introduced a pretty revolutionary concept (not counting the gore). I’d need to replay it to say more about story/puzzles, but I remember the game having that David Lynch/Twin Peaks “small town” vibe, similar to Dark Seed series.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

diego - 29 November 2013 04:08 PM

Actually, it introduced a pretty revolutionary concept (not counting the gore). I’d need to replay it to say more about story/puzzles, but I remember the game having that David Lynch/Twin Peaks “small town” vibe, similar to Dark Seed series.

Once again controversy will overshadow the finer points of gaming. I agree totally. I even want to go as far to say the gore isn’t all that gory compared to other games of the genre….(phantasmagoria)

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2012-08-29

PM

That’s strange… the cloaked, red-eyed figure on the box cover reminds me of a more recent villain from Deadly Premonition (which enjoyed a half-hearted but personally satisfying PC port recently):

Edit:  Oh, and just to give a bit more context for those unfamiliar with this game… Deadly Premonition is also known for being very “Lynchian” in terms of setting, quirky characters, etc.  It is often compared to Twin Peaks.

Anyway, I suppose the developer of Deadly Premonition was inspired partially by Harvester…

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also watched part of online playthrough, and it seemed like a better game than Phantasmagoria. Touched some serious themes while never taking itself seriously, like the complete opposite to Phanta.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Colster - 01 December 2013 01:31 AM

That’s strange… the cloaked, red-eyed figure on the box cover reminds me of a more recent villain from Deadly Premonition (which enjoyed a half-hearted but personally satisfying PC port recently):

Edit:  Oh, and just to give a bit more context for those unfamiliar with this game… Deadly Premonition is also known for being very “Lynchian” in terms of setting, quirky characters, etc.  It is often compared to Twin Peaks.

Anyway, I suppose the developer of Deadly Premonition was inspired partially by Harvester…

Well the game was originally called Twin Peaks too.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Doom - 01 December 2013 02:25 AM

I also watched part of online playthrough, and it seemed like a better game than Phantasmagoria. Touched some serious themes while never taking itself seriously, like the complete opposite to Phanta.

As a game it is better, but that’s not a huge competition though. Personally I didn’t care that much for Harvester because I thought it was poorly written and the jokes weren’t funny. It’s no South Park. Nor Twin Peaks either. It does try hard though.  Almost as hard as Postal (which isn’t that good series either IMO.)

And the final chapter of the game is just plain bad. I don’t know why they ditched P&C approach in it and turned it into a badly done combat scenario.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top