• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How to end the day?

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2013-04-07

PM

What is the best way, well let’s say coolest way, to end the day in the adventure game you ever came across? I’m talking about game design here. Just planar “It’s dark outside, let’s go to sleep” and fade in to new day is kind of silly. Personally I loved Last Express’ way of ending the day where you could manually click on your bed and voila - you slept, just like in The Sims Smile. Anyway, share some of your best moments of sleeping in adventure games Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The first Gabriel Knight game managed that in a great way, with Gabe going to sleep, having the recurring nightmare and then the morning ritual with the paper boy throwing the newspaper and Grace coming into the shop. And small variations each day (like the day he spent the night with Malia and she sneaked out the next morning) to keep things fresh.

May be the best transition between days I’ve seen in adventure games…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Culpa Innata had a nice idea, where you could chose to go out in the evening, chat with her girlfriend and even discuss the case getting some fresh, but rarely very intelligent, perspective. Or you could just go straight to bed.

Even though it was purely optional then I quite liked it, and I found that it worked kind of like a small break from the game without actually having to take a break from the game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also like how Gabriel Knight deals with it. Adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Another one of my favourites is Shadow of the Comet. Like in every good horror, the day ends with a catastrophe Smile Also results in some serious health problems for a hero. Now that’s good writing.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I loved Conquest of the Longbow’s way of dealing with it. The day ended with a discussion around the campfire between the band of rogues, it also added a lot to the atmosphere.

Apart from this one and Gabriel’s knight’s, I can’t say I really remember any other game managing that transition in a memorable way.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Scratches was nice - let’s go to sleep, get some rest… and hear those creepy scratches every night.

Hotel Dusk has the main character having some thoughts of the days events with some questions just to see if the player wasn’t sleeping through the game.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Sorry.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 27 November 2013 05:01 PM

The first Gabriel Knight game managed that in a great way, with Gabe going to sleep, having the recurring nightmare and then the morning ritual with the paper boy throwing the newspaper and Grace coming into the shop. And small variations each day (like the day he spent the night with Malia and she sneaked out the next morning) to keep things fresh.

May be the best transition between days I’ve seen in adventure games…

I was thinking the exact same thing when reading the OP.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Blade Runner.
You had to return home and as you did you were overwhelmed by nostalgia. To top it off, you could walk up the balcony to have the blade runner blues kick in.

Granted, the mechanics might slightly differ from the ones aforementioned(where the day passes in real time, while in Blade Runner it just the next step to move forward in the game).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 28 November 2013 04:29 AM

Hotel Dusk has the main character having some thoughts of the days events with some questions just to see if the player wasn’t sleeping through the game.

Hotel Dusk did that in blocks of one or more hours on the same day, not at the end of the day…

Last Window played this straight: every evening, Kyle would retire to his room for some relaxing with a bottle of booze, or even taking a midnight stroll outside, before pondering on the events of the day and going to sleep.

There’s also Flower, Sun and Rain, but that was less about how the day ended - a plane would fly over and blow up mid-air (and this was often played for laughs) - than it was about the start of a new day (Groundhog Day time-loop style): get out of bed, fall down on the floor (until it’s revealed after about 14 days that someone was hiding under your bed making you trip each time), drink coffee before starting the day proper, etc.

The GK1 night-day transitions are the most memorable, though, as you can probably tell by the number of people that have mentioned them. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top