• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full-motion video (FMV) adventure games

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There are some FMV games I liked. Such as the two DVD player games I mentioned. This would have been the way to go with this if it would have kept going.

The X Files game and GK 2 are the best of the lot in my opinion and would have loved to have seen them converted to being DVD players games.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

tomimt - 08 March 2014 10:19 AM

Well, I managed to play through the Darkstar. What an experience. The UI and the navigation are horrible and the game kept crashing on me almost like a clockwork every half an hour. But I still went through it because it was just so damned intresting.

It’s filled with bad game design and a lot of the acting is questionable at best, but it pretty much makes it worth it by very nice design and pretty insane (or stupid depends really) plotline marinaded with metal music. It definetly is one of the more ambitious FMV games out there.

yep this is darkstar. The games development started in the 90s and it shows. Simple changes would drastically improve movement and the interface (white arrow for everything..why?? And hotspots for travel are confusing). Also theres at least one potential dead end where if you save you have to start over. Yet in spite of all that theres something genuinely intriguing about the game. They do a good job of combining exploration with a plot that turns intense. Theres actually even some optional content (exploring the enemy ship), which is quite interesting but not vital to the main game at all. It is very ambitious.. and while it misses the mark for a modern audience, it has a lot of very positive ideas. 
I know this isnt simple at all but if they had managed to add the following: wasd movement, a demo, and a release on steam, their audience wouldv been multiplied multiple times.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, when I was playing I kept thinking how the same game could be done today by using realtime engine and it would look just as good or even better. I’d actually love to see that done, as it would make the game a lot better. Keep the FMV as it is, but re-do the whole game play mechanics.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

FMV’s seemed to reach their peek in the mid 90s when I was in my middle teens.  Perhaps due to that timing I loved the genre even the bad ones.  Both Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Dracula Unleashed are two of my favorites.  I played DU on a Sega CD by repeadly renting it from Blockbuster.  The thought of playing the DVD version of the game to get better video resolution on a big screen is very tempting.  I cant help but wonder how it would hold up.  Maybe I should buy a copy from Amazon if it is not to expensive.  As I remember Sherlock Holmes had three volumes to it.  I was never able to get my hands on the first volume.  It would be great to play that I might have to pick that up too.  Suprisingly I have never played Tex Murphey Pandora Directive or GK2 which seem to be regarded as the two best examples of the genre.  Perhaps I should start GK2 this weekend?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s actually 3 Consulting Detective cases available from Desura at the moment with re-mastered video. I think they are planning to do the rest of them as well, but Zojoi has their hands full with Shadowgate at the moment, so Sherlock has to wait for a while.

I think they’ve acquired Dracula Unleashed back as well and plan to re-master that at some point.

http://www.desura.com/games/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective-case-1

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Texas - 11 March 2014 11:03 AM

FMV’s seemed to reach their peek in the mid 90s when I was in my middle teens.  Perhaps due to that timing I loved the genre even the bad ones.  Both Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Dracula Unleashed are two of my favorites.  I played DU on a Sega CD by repeadly renting it from Blockbuster.  The thought of playing the DVD version of the game to get better video resolution on a big screen is very tempting.  I cant help but wonder how it would hold up.  Maybe I should buy a copy from Amazon if it is not to expensive.  As I remember Sherlock Holmes had three volumes to it.  I was never able to get my hands on the first volume.  It would be great to play that I might have to pick that up too.  Suprisingly I have never played Tex Murphey Pandora Directive or GK2 which seem to be regarded as the two best examples of the genre.  Perhaps I should start GK2 this weekend?

The dracula unleashed dvd is kind of rare now and would fetch a princely sum last i know.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top