• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full-motion video (FMV) adventure games

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

UruBoo - 29 November 2013 07:15 AM

[s]You need a patch to make it run in Win 7, and it seams to work just for the 32-bit systems. [/s] So, it does not work in Win 7 “right-out-of-the-box”, you need to tweak a bit to do so, but I know it runs cause I did it. I’ll check my documents and post here the steps to make it run.

[Edit: To make the game work properly on Windows 7 x64, I had to enable the following Compatibility options for the main executable BD_WIN.exe: Run in 256 colors, Run in 640x480 screen resolution, Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition. I just reinstalled the game and tested it myself.]

I actually managed to find a original CD version of the game. I run Win 7 - 32 bit, and I followed the instructions above, after installing the game. The game runs, but all graphics are extremely pixelated and psychedelic looking. Something is obviously wrong. The game runs without doing the suggestions above, but with the same issues.

I have also tried running the game as Administrator, but no luck.

Any other suggestions? Man, I really want to play this game. Smile Many thanks in advance.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

To the thread starter :

I wouldn’t say that the x-files game were the first and only attempt at FMV blockbuster. The FMV space sim Wing Commander IV cost about 10 million.

If you liked what Greg Roach’s work on x-files , might want to try his earlier FMV games before x-files.

Quantum Gate I & II are sold seperately but it’s pretty much one whole story since the ending of the first game leads to the start of the 2nd. It’s not so much of a game as an interactive movie of sorts. it is a fairly interesting concept.

FMV horror

Dracula unleashed (this video is for the dvd version though , the old PC dos version video was more grainy but the pc version does have the original music of Carl Orff’s O Fortuna which is well suited for the title , the dvd version substituted that for some synthesized knockoff)

Goosebumps : Escape from horrorland (from steven spielberg’s dreamworks)

Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria II

Realm of the haunting (tries to combine 2 genres of adventure and FPS)

FMV Noir

The Dame was loaded

Sci-fi FMV mystery

Ripper

Tex Murphy : Over the killing moon

Tex Murphy : Pandora directive

Tex Murphy : Overseer

The upcoming Tex Murphy : Tesla Effect which continues from where overseer left off 16 years later !!!

Superheroic adventures

Wrath of the gods

Noctropolis

Cartoony

Toonstruck

Interactive FMV movie type game

Psychic detective

Foxhunt

Star Trek : Borg

Star Trek : Klingon

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I really like Phantasmagoria II for some reason.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

marshal99 - 01 March 2014 02:14 AM

Dracula unleashed (this video is for the dvd version though , the old PC dos version video was more grainy but the pc version does have the original music of Carl Orff’s O Fortuna which is well suited for the title , the dvd version substituted that for some synthesized knockoff)

As a kid I loved this game, and I’m not quite sure why.

The “gameplay” was pathetic.  All you’d do is choose which location to go to and which item to be carrying when you go there.  And sometimes you’d die if you didn’t bring the right item, with very little warning about what to bring.

But as my first introduction to the world of Bram Stoker’s Dracula (which it seemed pretty faithful to), and with well above average acting and production values for FMV games at the time, my 12 year old self was in heaven.

Not sure how it’d hold up now though.  But I enjoyed it so much more than many of the more hyped FMV games on the Sega CD.  (Sewer Shark in particular was horrendously bad)

Anyone else played it?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have the DVD-version, bought it cheap just before the company ceased to exist, not knowing that one day it would be very rare. Ironically, I can’t get this rare DVD to work.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Karlok - 01 March 2014 01:42 PM

I have the DVD-version, bought it cheap just before the company ceased to exist, not knowing that one day it would be very rare. Ironically, I can’t get this rare DVD to work.

You may already know this, but the DVD version is meant to work in a standalone movie DVD player connected to a TV and controlled by a TV remote. If you use a computer, you have to have compatible movie-playing software and I’m not sure how it’s controlled. Not only that, I’m not sure if it works with the current generation of standalone movie DVD players or computer movie software. But it’s supposed to be compatible with XBox and PS2.
Web Archive of the Dracula Unleashed website

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

Niclas - 11 December 2013 08:38 PM
UruBoo - 29 November 2013 07:15 AM

[s]You need a patch to make it run in Win 7, and it seams to work just for the 32-bit systems. [/s] So, it does not work in Win 7 “right-out-of-the-box”, you need to tweak a bit to do so, but I know it runs cause I did it. I’ll check my documents and post here the steps to make it run.

[Edit: To make the game work properly on Windows 7 x64, I had to enable the following Compatibility options for the main executable BD_WIN.exe: Run in 256 colors, Run in 640x480 screen resolution, Disable visual themes and Disable desktop composition. I just reinstalled the game and tested it myself.]

I actually managed to find a original CD version of the game. I run Win 7 - 32 bit, and I followed the instructions above, after installing the game. The game runs, but all graphics are extremely pixelated and psychedelic looking. Something is obviously wrong. The game runs without doing the suggestions above, but with the same issues.

I have also tried running the game as Administrator, but no luck.

Any other suggestions? Man, I really want to play this game. Smile Many thanks in advance.

install this patch https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21372568/Black_Dahlia_NoCD_Patch_v03.exe & 256 colors is required or the screen will just pixelate. & also select in 640x480 or the mouse will leave cursor marks all over the screen. I really feel its unplayable on win 7 64 as the when you move your mouse the screen still spins too fast even after the game is patched,and too many crashes during the video sequences. seems to be audio problem that causes the crashes. running under xp the game is okay. I was unable to run the game under xp in virtual box on the latest version available

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Detective Mosely - 01 March 2014 01:26 PM
marshal99 - 01 March 2014 02:14 AM

As a kid I loved this game, and I’m not quite sure why.

The “gameplay” was pathetic.  All you’d do is choose which location to go to and which item to be carrying when you go there.  And sometimes you’d die if you didn’t bring the right item, with very little warning about what to bring.

But as my first introduction to the world of Bram Stoker’s Dracula (which it seemed pretty faithful to), and with well above average acting and production values for FMV games at the time, my 12 year old self was in heaven.

Not sure how it’d hold up now though.  But I enjoyed it so much more than many of the more hyped FMV games on the Sega CD.  (Sewer Shark in particular was horrendously bad)

Anyone else played it?

One of the first FMV games i ever bought. Load it up and once Carl Orff’s O Fortuna music came on , i was sold.
Sure , the gameplay was a bit simplistic (hence why it was playable on a DVD player) but the game had a good atmosphere and i really did enjoyed playing it just to see some of the death scenes.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One of my systems that never panned out was DVD for gaming. You could make a game that could actually be played on any DVD player.

A few adventure games were released on DVD but not many. I bought them and had fun with them.

A few good ones were:

Dracula Unleashed

Sherlock Holmes

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

crabapple - 01 March 2014 03:05 PM

You may already know this, but the DVD version is meant to work in a standalone movie DVD player connected to a TV and controlled by a TV remote. If you use a computer, you have to have compatible movie-playing software and I’m not sure how it’s controlled. Not only that, I’m not sure if it works with the current generation of standalone movie DVD players or computer movie software. But it’s supposed to be compatible with XBox and PS2.
Web Archive of the Dracula Unleashed website

Thanks, I might give it a try on a friend’s PS2.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

marshal99 - 02 March 2014 07:41 AM

One of the first FMV games i ever bought. Load it up and once Carl Orff’s O Fortuna music came on , i was sold.

I can never hear that song the same way again since seeing this:

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Detective Mosely - 02 March 2014 04:50 PM

Grin

And now I’m reminded of the best “misheard lyrics” video ever Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

Jannik - 29 November 2013 07:01 PM

Thanks for mentioning Black Dahlia and The 7th Guest. BD happens to be on my list, so that’s assuring. It’s not impossible I’ll pick up The 7th Guest, if I can find it on sale, since it’s not a high priority game for me - it seems a bit too puzzle-heavy for my taste, but I need to do some research to be sure Smile

Duke: Thanks for the link, I look forward to reading it!

7th Guest goes on sale at GoG now and then, but its only 5.99 anytime
GoG also has the Tex Murphy series on sale this weekend

My other fave FMV would be the Zork games:

Return to Zork (the FMV is weak but the humor is strong)
Zork Nemesis - grim storyline, but good FMV acting IMO
Zork : Grand Inquisitor  (best of the 3 and an all-time fave) Cool

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Mikekelly - 02 March 2014 09:50 AM

One of my systems that never panned out was DVD for gaming. You could make a game that could actually be played on any DVD player.

A few adventure games were released on DVD but not many. I bought them and had fun with them.

A few good ones were:

Dracula Unleashed

Sherlock Holmes

Heart

Yeah , It’s a shame that there’s not more FMV games that can be ported into a standalone playable dvd form.

There’s only a few “games” playable available on a dvd player. Most of them are like those choose your own adventure type games.

There’s the interactive FMV serbian game “Uberlife” with english subs.

The animated “Choose your own adventure - the abominable snowman” for kids

Tomb Raider: The Action Adventure

Scourge of Worlds: A Dungeons & Dragons Adventure - CG choose your own adventure D & D

Then there’s those interactive movies , not really a game like

Tender loving care

Point of View

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 02 March 2014 05:15 PM
Detective Mosely - 02 March 2014 04:50 PM

Grin

And now I’m reminded of the best “misheard lyrics” video ever Tongue

And it reminds me of this Indian song with suspiciously English-sounding lyrics. Grin

No one has mentioned DarkStar: The Interactive Movie yet. Gasp

It’s a node-based science fiction game taking place on a space ship. The cast consists mainly of Mystery Science Theater 3000 people, with Clive Robertson as the lead, and Peter Graves as the narrator.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top