• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Shivah: Kosher Edition

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Anyone else played this new and improved version of Wadjet Eye’s first adventure?

I never played the original—I was probably put off by the primitive graphics—but this new version looks and sounds great. It’s about a rabbi who is losing faith, when suddenly someone he hardly knows leaves him $10,000 in their will. Of course they died in suspicious circumstances, so you investigate.

It’s a simple game; you can’t pick up items, which makes the inclusion of separate left-click/right-click feedback kind of strange. The main character, rabbi Stone, will say things like “It was fine where it was”, giving you the impression that you might be able to pocket items even though you can’t. You can combine the clues you’ve found in the form of words or phrases, which will be familiar to anyone who’s played the Blackwell series, but this is required literally once (or maybe twice) in the entire game. A lot of the “puzzles” involve searching on a computer, another similarity to the Blackwell games. It took me about 2 hours to finish, including multiple reloads towards the end.

The mechanical simplicity didn’t bother me. For a short experience it felt adequately streamlined and focused. No padding or filler as with other short adventures. The story is subtle, satisfying and avoids cliches. It’s not about rabbi Stone becoming a “changed man”, nor does it jam a religious message down your throat.

I have one criticism, and it’s one that could be levelled at a few Wadjet Eye games: the habit of including “boss fight” dialogue trees at the end that are next to impossible to get right the first time, so you’re forced to replay over and over until you get the “good” ending. This is just bad design to me. I realise there’s a need to heighten the tension, but if the odds are so heavily stacked against the player (and sometimes this is because the mechanics aren’t clear enough) then it simply becomes a chore.

Anyway, $5 well-spent.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I hadn’t heard of this until recently and im very intrigued. Its definitely going on my xmas time purchase list.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Quite enjoyed the game for what it was, even though I don’t like Judaism. It has it’s charm and atmosphere, nicely told story that doesn’t rely much on religion and good design for a game without inventory puzzles. It’s still very short and very easy for a commercial remake of a remake, so it’s a bit on a lazy side.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Doom - 24 November 2013 04:10 AM

Quite enjoyed the game for what it was, even though I don’t like Judaism.

Funny how you would spend $5 on a game that’s based on a subject you don’t like.

I enjoyed the original game, but haven’t purchased this new version yet .  The religious aspect of this game is background and not promoted.  If you are looking for a short game that delivers a good story, I would recommend this.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Bonsai - 24 November 2013 09:56 AM

Funny how you would spend $5 on a game that’s based on a subject you don’t like.

Gabriel Knight 3 is also based on religion, yet it’s hardly religious. I’ve enjoyed other games by Wadjet Eye and Ben Chandler so far, so it was a matter of trust (and I had read many reviews beforehand, of course Smile ).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I’ve loved this game for years - from the first incarnations on the AGS forums, and now to this “Kosher Version”! I pre-ordered it - to me, this is one of the most innovative adventure games of the past 10 years.  The subject matter is incredibly different from anything else out there, the writing is very sharp, and I enjoyed the Rabbinical word-fighting!  It’s nice to see it with these improved graphics, but to me the game was always incredible, even with its original graphics.

Bt

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Yeah, in many ways this remains my favorite Wadjet Eye game. Rabbinical noir is a great little niche (the closest thing I can think of if The Yiddish Policeman’s Union), and I could easily imagine a whole series of “A Rabbi Stone Mystery” novels.

I assume the voices are the same in this version?

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I think I read somewhere that the audio quality has been improved, but I haven’t played the original so I don’t know if the voices are the same. Rabbi Stone is Joey Malone Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

How short is the game? 1 hour?

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Took me about 2 hours but I imagine it could be finished quicker.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Doom - 24 November 2013 11:55 AM
Bonsai - 24 November 2013 09:56 AM

Gabriel Knight 3 is also based on religion, yet it’s hardly religious. I’ve enjoyed other games by Wadjet Eye and Ben Chandler so far, so it was a matter of trust (and I had read many reviews beforehand, of course Smile ).

Both GK3 and This are as religious as you want them to be. If you are familiar
with references and history , you can take out more from them and enjoy the
political underpinnings. Infact Judaism is so rich, there can be way more stories
regarding their different sects and how things work in the Community.

I recommend this game for educational purpose too, its so authentic at times.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top