• Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Time for a new community playthrough

Total Posts: 2657

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I really enjoyed Shivers so I’ll add a vote for Shivers 2.

Total Posts: 445

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I do want to play There Is No Game sometime, but I’ll nominate Boïnihi: The K’i Codex. It’s on heavy sale right now and we have the developer as a regular here who I’m sure will participate.

Total Posts: 7950

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve only played ASA, not Catyph or Myha. Are they required before playing Boïnihi?
And what about Kitrinos?

Last played: There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (CPT) - 4/5 | There Is No Game (replay) - 4/5 | Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (replay) - 3/5 | Lighthouse: The Dark Being (CPT) - 2.5/5 | Anna’s Quest (CPT) - 4.5/5 | Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe - 4/5 | Florence - 4/5 | Alice Trapped in Wonderland - 1/5 | The Hunt for the Lost Ship - 1.5/5 | The Talos Principle - 4/5 | Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum - 3/5 | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 3/5 | Simon the Sorcerer (replay) - 4/5 | Portal 2 - 4/5 | Murder By Numbers - 3.5/5 | Heavy Rain - 3.5/5 | Disco Elysium - 4.5/5 | Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse - 3/5 | Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds - 3/5 | Whispers of a Machine (CPT) - 4/5

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for the nomination Luhr28!

TimovieMan, You can play Boinihi without playing Catyph or Myha (and Kitrinos is just a bonus free game), there is no specific order. Besides there is a summary of the Black Cube world in Boinihi in the form of a bonus video, which makes it a good choice if you didn’t play the other games. Boinihi is not as difficult as the others and not as long (but remains challenging enough).
I’ll be happy to be involved in the CPT if the game wins, like I did for ASA a while back!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In that case, I’ll vote for Boïnihi as well. Smile

Last played: There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (CPT) - 4/5 | There Is No Game (replay) - 4/5 | Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (replay) - 3/5 | Lighthouse: The Dark Being (CPT) - 2.5/5 | Anna’s Quest (CPT) - 4.5/5 | Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe - 4/5 | Florence - 4/5 | Alice Trapped in Wonderland - 1/5 | The Hunt for the Lost Ship - 1.5/5 | The Talos Principle - 4/5 | Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum - 3/5 | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 3/5 | Simon the Sorcerer (replay) - 4/5 | Portal 2 - 4/5 | Murder By Numbers - 3.5/5 | Heavy Rain - 3.5/5 | Disco Elysium - 4.5/5 | Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse - 3/5 | Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds - 3/5 | Whispers of a Machine (CPT) - 4/5

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks Wink
As I was hoping to receive more feedback about the game before the end of the year, a CPT would be awesome (just saying)

Total Posts: 4247

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (5) - Karlok, TimovieMan, Doom, Pegbiter, Intense Degree

The Journey Down, Chapters 1-3 (4) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Doom, Chrissie

Heavy Rain (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
L.A. Noire (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
Loom (3) - SoccerDude, Doom, DCast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Pegbiter
Shivers 2 (3) - RTRooney, TimovieMan, SoccerDude

Boïnihi: The K’i Codex (2) - Luhr28, TimovieMan

Sorry, Santa.  There were just too many options.

Total Posts: 2657

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 November 2020 12:40 PM

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (5) - Karlok, TimovieMan, Doom, Pegbiter, Intense Degree

The Journey Down, Chapters 1-3 (4) - SoccerDude, TimovieMan, Doom, Chrissie

Heavy Rain (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
L.A. Noire (3) - Intense Degree (leader), Chrissie, Pegbiter
Loom (3) - SoccerDude, Doom, DCast
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3) - Adv_Lvr (leader), TimovieMan, Pegbiter

Boïnihi: The K’i Codex (2) - Luhr28, TimovieMan
Shivers 2 (2) - RTRooney, SoccerDude

You missed out on Timovieman’s vote for Shivers 2 Lady K. 🙂

Total Posts: 4247

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, SoccerDude!  I had added his name his name on the previous page but forgot to update my desktop list.

Sorry, Santa.  There were just too many options.

Total Posts: 445

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Simon_ASA also said he would be involved in the Boïnihi playthrough.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 02 November 2020 06:52 PM

Simon_ASA also said he would be involved in the Boïnihi playthrough.

That’s not an actual vote. Voting is for participants, not devs. Smile

That IS however very much incentive to vote, because a CPT where the dev is present to share his thoughts always has that something extra. It’s amazing if you can pick the dev’s thoughts during a CPT…
And knowing Simon, he’ll probably be the most active forum member during the CPT, giving wonderful details about the development process. Just check his contributions in the ASA CPT! Cool

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

No of course don’t take my comment as a vote for Boinihi, it would be too weird Smile

Ahah I’d do my best to be the most active member during the CPT, I’m sure I’d have a lot to say, but it always depends on the questions and how people are interested in the game!

Anyway even if Boinihi doesn’t win now it doesn’t matter for me, I hope that some of you will have the opportunity to play it and will enjoy it. I’m often watching this thread all year long in case one of my games would be chosen for the next CPT. I remember Catyph was close some time ago, but even if they don’t win the votes I know it can still happen someday. Always happy to talk of my games, reply to questions, and see how players see my puzzles and stories (with many things that didn’t cross my mind as a creator). A CPT is always a rewarding experience, a way for me to learn and try to do better next time, and I wouldn’t miss one if I am available at the same period.

But I think I’ve talked too much in this thread, place to the votes. Sorry…

Total Posts: 308

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I have a question about Boinihi - it looks like a relaxing game from the screenshots, but you never know. So are there any horror parts, deaths, tense scenes, anything like that? I really like the sound of Myst + Syberia/TLJ or something like that, but I have anxiety.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 03 November 2020 03:53 AM

A CPT is always a rewarding experience, a way for me to learn and try to do better next time, and I wouldn’t miss one if I am available at the same period.

A CPT with dev participation is always a rewarding experience for us as well.
CPT’s are always fun because you get to discuss the game in-depth as you’re playing, but actually having behind-the-scenes input from the dev just lifts that to another level entirely.

Maybe it’s a good thing that our genre is niche. If adventure games were mainstream and hugely popular, I don’t think we’d get the devs to join as often as they do now. Grin

Simon, how are the sales going for your games? I remember back when ASA was released, you only sold a handful of copies in the first week, and most of those were to forum members here. How has that evolved over time? Especially with you releasing a new game every two years or so (and consistently getting good reviews here).

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

@Vehelon
Boinihi is a very peaceful game globally, and if I am allowed to I would even say it’s a poetic experience, but I have to warn you that there is a short film where some of the Terran astronauts die during their journey. This is a bonus short film, so I can tell you where it is during the CPT to avoid watching it. It tells the story of the main character and how he arrived alone on the moon of Boinihi and for what purpose, so it is quite an interesting Bonus video for most players, but still it is dispensable if you don’t want to see such things. I would say that it is not more violent globally than many animations for kids on TV nowadays. The story of Boinihi (in a diary) also refers to a catastrophe on his planet and people who died when their civilization collapsed, but there is no image of it, it’s just text. Except for these two things (bonus video and diary) you explore peaceful environements and focus on translating/understanding the Codex, and there is no horror, no blood, nothing shown that can really shock.

@TimovieMan
This is something that we could probably talk furthermore during a CPT if we have the chance to do one for Boinihi. But globally the sales are not good and it is too difficult for me to make a living, so I have announced past Summer that I have stopped working for an indefinite period of time on the Black Cube series, in order to focus on a totally new thing (which I still have not decided but have plenty of ideas). I don’t know what I am doing wrong but it would seem that I am not good in communication around my projects, because I really have a low number of followers on social networks compared to other adventure games creators. That makes it very hard for me to share news and reach the people interested in my projects…
ASA has been my biggest “success” in terms of distributed copies because I was lucky to release it at a time where Myst-like adventures in 2d almost didn’t exist anymore, and there were way less indie developers, and also because it was added to some bundles like indiegala at a very low price ($1 or 2 per game), which was great to reach people but didn’t really allowed to cover expenses and development time…
Then Catyph has not been very successful and was ignored by influencers in general, and my idea of a “Blue Matter System” in the game was not very popular to most traditional adventure gamers (which has been fixed in Catyph Light Edition, but I think almost nobody played it). I tried to bring new ideas as I was asked to in ASA, but *that*  wasn’t really a good one.
Then there was Myha, with a successful Kickstarter, so we were hoping better results: it is today wishlisted by about 200 people who await for a big sale off, but we don’t want to drop price too fast in regard to our backers, and also because it has been my first collaboration with another creator and in full3d with Unreal Engine 4. But the sales were not very good, we were hoping that the Kickstarter would help us “advertize” a little more to reach new players (particularly with the 3d), and it hasn’t really been the case I think.
And finally Boinihi: I sold few copies so far, probably because the game is still expensive (the market has changed since my release of ASA and there is no choice nowadays but to put a “high” price to cover the expenses and also because most people buy during sales…). Boinihi has been a commercial failure, 2 months after release the game had the worst number of copies sold in the series, and as usual not because of the content but because influencers didn’t speak of the game so it was totally ignored -and it made me angry once again to have t orely on that “system”.
Another major issue that decided me to stop the Black Cube series (temporarily! I really hope to do a 5th episode in the future), is because it is a series… I never really insisted on the ‘Black Cube’ label because I want people to realize that each game can be played in any order (it’s not Black Cube 1: ASA, Black Cube 2: Catyph, etc), but nevertheless it is obvious that they are all in the same world, so many people are worried to buy my games as they think “I have not played the previous ones, I won’t understand anything”. You proved it again above with your question (which is perfectly fine, I totally understand it). But because of this I can’t continue to create these games or I’m going to bankrupt! lol but seriously I’m very worried by my personal situation.

All of that being said, the games have nice reviews as you said, and I am very happy by what I have constructed over the years. I really thank continuously all the fans who support me and who enjoy my work: that is what allow me to continue despite the challenge! Let’s hope that my next game will be interesting enough to allow me to get back to the Black Cube series sooner or later. In the meantime I am learning new tools and techniques: as you might have seen I have participated to some game jams in August and September and I take it as an opportunity to learn how to make games with the Unity engine. I still need to work hard on it…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!