• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Old school adventure games on tablets

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

Has anyone tried to play 90’s point and click games through dosbox on Ipad or Galaxy Tab? If so, how’s the experience? Was it a hassle? Thanks

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I did. I played Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. Both were fun to play. The interface takes some getting used to but it was certainly no hassle. Try them out! You will be pleasantly surprised.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Most ScummVM supported games work very well, especially when you turn on relative mode for th mouse, which makes clicking the game objects far more intuitive than using mouse is. DosBox needs more tinkering and not all games work well on it on Android devices. And not all versons of Android dosbox work as well as some others (My personal favourite right now is DosBox Turbo, but you need to shell out a buck or two to get it).

All games with parser input are more or less a hassle, as the touch keyboard is far slower than regular keyboard. Though playing them on a tablet is not impossible, they just need a bit more patience.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I played the Broken Sword directors cuts on iPad. Though I have some issues with those versions of the games (ugly dialogue avatars, some puzzles have been simplified), the gameplay itself works very well. iPads and other tablets is the perfect tool for point&clickies;. I recommend using headphones though, otherwise you may be bothered by the iPad’s poor speakers Wink. Bought Beneath a Steel Sky for the iPad too.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

How does the toggling cursor work on tablets?

You know, some adventure games require the right-click mouse to switch the cursor from LOOK to TALK, PICK UP, etc.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Depends a lot from game to game. The simplest ones that have verbs on screen, like Monkey Island, work just as you’d imagine. If you need to cycle the icons, that depends how the cycling has been done in the original game. If it’s for an example under right click, then you just do the right click on you device. That could be either under dual touch, double click or even a physical button, depending how you set up the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top